Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #1246
harrysmith1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This seems to be a quite tedious task with numerous windings. I done it with copper windings but something went wrong with rotations. What are advantages over using aluminum over copper?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #1247
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,038
Absolutely no idea. I'm just trying to fix what has already broken. The armature appears fine. Its the housing & magnets that I am replacing.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #1248
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,532
When my Valeo went belly-up, I had it reconditioned. The second time it caused problems I went and bought a Nippon Denso. Hopefully, that was a long term fix. I am all for repairing stuff, but sometimes there is wear on other components and you end up with an imbalance in the system, this in turn will accelerate wear. However, the decision is always made based on current finances and/or my ability to hide new stuff.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #1249
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
bits and pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
When my Valeo went belly-up, I had it reconditioned. The second time it caused problems I went and bought a Nippon Denso. Hopefully, that was a long term fix. I am all for repairing stuff, but sometimes there is wear on other components and you end up with an imbalance in the system, this in turn will accelerate wear. However, the decision is always made based on current finances and/or my ability to hide new stuff.
our cousin to the west seems to have quite a few bits that may help. I see he is also on the Facebook airheads page. John Olive so Dave Hunn has pointed out to me.

got my visionxwholsale.com solstice 10 watt lights fitted with some MAP mounting brackets. know I can go out at night and see way down the road unlike the standard GS light which is just pathetic

got the complete kit (2 lights wiring and switch with relay) landed for $312. NZ $ is even better against US $ now. free shipping. there is a way to also get 10% off price as well.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #1250
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,434
I keep walkingby the shimming plate in the workshop. I will send it back as soon as I can find a way to secure the choccy fish I owe you onto it without upseting the sniffer dog...

Hey maybe I should put some drugs in there to fool it - Brilliant!!
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #1251
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Hows the rider doing, healing?

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #1252
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I keep walkingby the shimming plate in the workshop. I will send it back as soon as I can find a way to secure the choccy fish I owe you onto it without upseting the sniffer dog...
That's 2 choccie fish...still waiting on the one from your competition...Anytime is fine. I'm not in a hurry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Hows the rider doing, healing?
Appointment with the Orthopaedic guy wed. Not to complain, but it feels like I'm going backwards at present...Must be the weather.

Met Robert today with his mighty fine Bumblebee R100GS PD. He's had it from new. Very very nice. Wellington based. Slightly crappy cell phone picture. Need to get out & ride with him & his friend some time (probably next summer). WP shock, full bashplates, 320 disc & adapter, LED lights, barkbusters, round rocker covers, frame was stripped & powder coated a few years ago

Valer Starter rebuild:
Slight delay on that. My computer hates their web shop payment, because it thinks their ssl cert is dodgy. Might transact over the ph if I can get hold of them (tried a few time now).

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 07:22 PM
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #1253
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
That's 2 choccie fish...still waiting on the one from your competition...Anytime is fine. I'm not in a hurry.

Appointment with the Orthopaedic guy wed. Not to complain, but it feels like I'm going backwards at present...Must be the weather.

Met Robert today with his mighty fine Bumblebee R100GS PD. He's had it from new. Very very nice. Wellington based. Slightly crappy cell phone picture. Need to get out & ride with him & his friend some time (probably next summer). WP shock, full bashplates, 320 disc & adapter, LED lights, barkbusters, round rocker covers, frame was stripped & powder coated a few years ago

Valer Starter rebuild:
Slight delay on that. My computer hates their web shop payment, because it thinks their ssl cert is dodgy. Might transact over the ph if I can get hold of them (tried a few time now).
ddint know there were bumblebee PDs...nice
Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #1254
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
so what did the quack say?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #1255
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Discharged from Orthopaedics. The fracture has healed. However the back will never be as good as it was because of the shape of the vertebrae, i.e. the fractures heal, but the shape of the end result (wedge) doesn't change.

I have been referred me to a physiotherapist to strengthen the back. 1st visit saturday

Apparently I can start riding again on the 4th of July (6 mths on from the injury).

I have started to do a few projects on the bike in anticipation of riding, including rebuilding the Valeo starter, & getting the gearbox repaired.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #1256
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Yay! mostly anyway.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #1257
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Progress update

NEAR MISS ELECTRICAL FIRE:
During inspection post crash I noted that the left front indicator wasn't working, & that the left rear was hyper flashing. Also the headlight low beam wasn't going. After opening the headlight shell, I saw that:
  • The H4 bulb had blown low beam;
  • The H4 plug was melted;
  • The left front indicator had pulled the wiring out;
  • The insulation around the resisters was scorched & melted

I've now replaced the fuse for low beam (fused relay in the h/l shell), replaced the melted H4 headlight plug, & determined that the resister for the left indicators is dead.

I think what happened is that during the crash the front left indicator wiring was pulled out of the connectors, & then the left rear was going flat out for a while riding home, & I didn't see this. This eventually over heated the resister, & caused the damage. I will need to rewire with the resisters outside the headlight shell. I'll probably get the nifty alloy shelled ones. I'll also get some LEDs mounted somewhere so I can see when the indicators are supposed to be flashing.

STARTER:
The brush holder, new brushes, & Oilhead magnet field housing portion of the starter re-build kit arrived Wed - six days after ordering. But the airhead (clockwise rotation) field magnet housing is still in transit.

The replacement Oilhead field housing (counter clockwise rotation) I mistakenly ordered is now on Trade Me. If you want to rebuild the Valeo on your Oilhead, have I got a deal for you...The housing is the improved one, which has the magnets held in with clips, as well being glued in.

The rebuild goal is to refit the Valeo to Gus, & then reclaim the Bosch for the RS.

NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM:
I was never happy with the fit of the Keihan 2 into 2 exhaust.

Gus is in at Cycleworks getting a new exhaust 'Y' mid pipe made up, which will allow me to link the Keihan 38mm headers to the SV1000 pipe, so that I get back to a 2 into 1 system. This will have a side benefit of allowing me to refit the centre stand.

VALVES:
Shortly after I get Gus back, he's due for some head work at Headmasters, in order to fit new valve guides, valves, & possibly seats. Smoking is so anti-social don't you know.

TOOLS
I have also ordered some Cycleworks Tools:
  • To allow me to remove the gearbox output shaft nut & coupling, so that I can get the gearbox drain plug thread repaired. This will eventually allow me to refit the original gearbox & clutch pack, & fit the current heavy flywheel gearbox & clutch back on the RS, &
  • To allow me to replace the main seal on the RS.

RIDER UPDATE:
I've been referred to Physio, but have realised that doing strengthening exercises is rather boring, & doesn't get stuff done here. So with this in mind, I have mowed the lawns & trimmed some hedges for the 1st time since late Nov. And surprisingly the back has been good. So...

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 02:39 AM
Old 05-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #1258
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,434
Good work on the bike - keep up with pics.

Don't get carried away with that back of your bro - take your time.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #1259
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
RIDER UPDATE:
I've been referred to Physio, but have realised that doing strengthening exercises is rather boring, & doesn't get stuff done here. So with this in mind, I have mowed the lawns & trimmed some hedges for the 1st time since late Nov. And surprisingly the back has been good. So...
Do those exercises
Strengthening everything up properly will make the rehab process a lot easier. Which means you get back on the bike faster
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #1260
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
So...
So... what?

are you implying that you might be ready to sneak out for a ride soonish?

I have another couple of weekends work on the new klr and then I'll be ready for something like a wairarapa loop or some such

do your ekersizes you nong - I don't stop to help riders who snap in the middle....