Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #10426
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
Spotted your problem Daniel, the side stand is on the other side of the bike. You can thank me later if you like

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #10427
jkphoto
Sometime Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Which aftermarket windshield do is on your Dakar and what are your thoughts on it. I need to get a new taller one and like the looks of this one but of course effectiveness trumps looks.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansin View Post
I seem to have plenty of those....

A couple of old ones.

Another alternative to using the sidestand.

jkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #10428
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
.....road surface wasn't the best in that last one, honest

Found a few of those myself

This was fucking steep as hell and loose as shit. One of the most awsome tracks I rode in Australia.
Not sure I would have dared, let alone managed, to ride many of those tracks now. It helped to have 20k+ km's on the bike in 6 months and I've noticed how much worse I am at riding now

Second picture illustrates the steepness better. My bike is parked on a level bit dug out.
You Aussies can perhaps explain these dig-outs every 50-100 metres on the 4wd tracks. Not sure if they are there to lead water to the side out of the track or to stop 4wd's coming down

Let's go racing boys !

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #10429
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,328
Gravelseeker, they have two purposes

Firstly to see how high you can point the front end as you go over and the second is as you say to get water off the track and stop erosion

There was one fire trail where I grew up on the Nth Coast, turn right out of a creek and up 200 metres with ruts, you could only get trials bikes up it and I cartwheeled the TY175 from the top back to the bottom when I was caught in a rut one day, there were also a couple of big black snakes in there and you could only smile as they reared up at you and hope they did not strike

As for all the earlier pic's It is a throwback to the Italian heritage of the GS that it likes an afternoon snooze
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #10430
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
there were also a couple of big black snakes in there and you could only smile as they reared up at you and hope they did not strike
Ahhh.... the healthy approach

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #10431
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Between the snakes and the sharks on the NSW North Coast it is probably a wonder I survived, almost drowned 3 times in the surf (only once when drunk)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #10432
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,915
Are black snakes venomous? Always surprises me how many deadly snakes you Aussies have. I grew up on a smaller island, and we had no snakes... because it was an island. Now, Guam- Guam has snakes by the metric shitload.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #10433
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkphoto View Post
Which aftermarket windshield do is on your Dakar and what are your thoughts on it. I need to get a new taller one and like the looks of this one but of course effectiveness trumps looks.

Thanks
Wunderlich Ergo, the tall one. Isotta make an identical one at half the price. It's great for touring. Visor up at 80mph and it takes most of the flies rather than them ending up in your face/on your visor. It's now sporting a standard GS one as the tall one kept smacking me in the chin off road.

dansin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #10434
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Yes heard about the snake problem in Guam, the footage I saw was disturbing and they are an imported species I gather

As for black snakes yes they are venomous and can make you ill but unlikely to kill you, they grow up to 18 feet in the rain forest and I have seen em that big, they are not aggressive and are usually as scared as you so no sudden movements and you will likely get by. Have had a big one 12" off the side of my leg as went up a trail like Gravel Seeker showed and I could hear him hissing above the sound of the bike but he didnt strike thankfully

My problem in those days was I was usually out by myself and no one really knew where I was going cause I should not really have been in there
Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #10435
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansin View Post
Wunderlich Ergo, the tall one. Isotta make an identical one at half the price. It's great for touring. Visor up at 80mph and it takes most of the flies rather than them ending up in your face/on your visor. It's now sporting a standard GS one as the tall one kept smacking me in the chin off road.
Best thing I ever did was remove the screen. No buffeting and insects aren't that big a problem up here. I use a motocross helmet and goggles when playing and a full face helmet when commuting

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #10436
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Yes heard about the snake problem in Guam, the footage I saw was disturbing and they are an imported species I gather

As for black snakes yes they are venomous and can make you ill but unlikely to kill you, they grow up to 18 feet in the rain forest and I have seen em that big, they are not aggressive and are usually as scared as you so no sudden movements and you will likely get by. Have had a big one 12" off the side of my leg as went up a trail like Gravel Seeker showed and I could hear him hissing above the sound of the bike but he didnt strike thankfully

My problem in those days was I was usually out by myself and no one really knew where I was going cause I should not really have been in there
Australia has done so well with imported species ....

I hardly saw any snakes at all when I was there, but it had been a drought for 6 years so "few" insect = few insect eaters = few snakes who eat insect eaters...

The best sign I saw was in the shower block at Hells Gate roadhouse:

"Light attract insect
insects attract frogs
frogs attract snakes
snake bites hurt
Turn off the lights when you leave"

I remember the first few weeks on the road/ in the bush I was terrified of snakes and spiders, knowing that they'd all kill you in a few steps, but after a while I had a more relaxed approach to the bush. I did see a few snakes and wrote it down:

Taipan - QLD, near Georgetown
Black snake - WA, south of Perth on the "Snake trail"....fitting name
Copperhead - SA, Grapians
Red-bellied black snake - VIC, Snowy Ranges/ Alpine Nat Park

Australia's 10 most dangerous snakes

And this dead one on the road between cape leveque and Broome, WA (same sandy road I posted a pic from a few posts ago). King brown snake ?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !

Gravel Seeker screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 10:16 AM
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #10437
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

If it slithers stay away, 95% of people who are bitten are because they tried to do something they should not

I have been chased by a tiger snake in the bush (they are aggressive), had a red belly black swim faster than I could paddle a surfboard in the surf

My mother takes the cake, she lives on the edge of a town and at 80+ takes to brown snakes with a hose, they dont like the water it seems and slither away

But the one that made me laugh was when I was out west working I said to one of the 3rd generation locals that it worried me that I had not seen any out there and I knew they were there, he took a sip on his beer, put it down and said "that is the trouble, not even we see them til it is too late" it gave me so much confidence running the dirt roads on the GS by myself on days off
Old 04-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #10438
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
Busy developing new footpeg brackets with footpegs moved further back.
The intitial idea was 100mm. However when looking at it, it looks too far back

pdf

Some feedback please. Where would the best place be?
When I look at photo of the TT brackets they look to be 60mm

And would anybody be interested if I made extra?

Let me know if you need any other photos or measurements.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #10439
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
With my tax return coming within the next few weeks, Im giving strong consideration to some suspension upgrade. For the rear Im thinking probably and Ohlins. I have a question about the front though.

I use my bike as more of a traveling/adventure/commuter bike than a dirt bike. I weigh about 220 geared up and (once the skid is finished) will have about 15-20lbs extra weight up front. I am also considering crash bars, and although I doubt I will, Ive given thought to getting the TT39 tanks.

Considering its a lightweight dirt bike, are there fork springs available for the YZ426 that will hold that much weight up front? Or would I be better off hunting around for a front end off one of the big ktms??
It sounds like you do what I do. I travel and ride as much dirt and gravel as possible, and I do a lot of that loaded.

You can still use a YZ fork and any good suspension shop will be able to order custom fork springs. They aren't that much more than the fork springs you'll need to order from Racetech and are, I was told, made by the same supplier.

I have an Ohlins in the rear and there is no way I would have been able to do what I did these last 10 days without a better shock. I rode dirt in and around Monument Valley and Death Valley, all loaded. The shock transformed the bike in the dirt and made it track like it was on rails on road.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #10440
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
With my tax return coming within the next few weeks, Im giving strong consideration to some suspension upgrade. For the rear Im thinking probably and Ohlins. I have a question about the front though.

I use my bike as more of a traveling/adventure/commuter bike than a dirt bike. I weigh about 220 geared up and (once the skid is finished) will have about 15-20lbs extra weight up front. I am also considering crash bars, and although I doubt I will, Ive given thought to getting the TT39 tanks.

Considering its a lightweight dirt bike, are there fork springs available for the YZ426 that will hold that much weight up front? Or would I be better off hunting around for a front end off one of the big ktms??
It sounds like you do what I do. I travel and ride as much dirt and gravel as possible, and I do a lot of that loaded.

You can still use a YZ fork and any good suspension shop will be able to order custom fork springs. They aren't that much more than the fork springs you'll need to order from Racetech and are, I was told, made by the same supplier.

I have an Ohlins in the rear and there is no way I would have been able to do what I did these last 10 days without a better shock. I rode dirt in and around Monument Valley and Death Valley, all loaded. The shock transformed the bike in the dirt and made it track like it was on rails on road.