Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Bike Insurance

Ok.
I'm going to open the can of worms my instincts tell me I already know the answer to. My son turns 16 next week. Getting him into a rider training program is not an issue, because I spend my weekends teaching it.
The problem is insurance. My cousin, who is my broker "adjusted" all the numbers he could, and even with the course, and riding my 250 Sherpa, it's still going to cost in/around $5000.00 per year. I'm not sure you could find a less offensive bike than a 250 Sherpa, we use them to teach with. And still they want 5K?

We get lots of younger ( under 18 ) riders taking our courses, how are they managing it?
I'm curious if anyone else has been through this recently ( in Ontario ), and what kind of solution they have come up with.

There is a bit of a grey area when it comes to insurance. Legally, he could ride my bike if he has a licence. If he got stopped, he would have an M2, ownership & insurance( both in my name ). The problem occurs when/if something happens. The insurance company could easily say that they will not cover him or me, then I'm screwed.
I would really like him to be able to ride. He's been doing the dirt bike thing for a long time, and he's been hanging around me on the parking lots watching the training, so he knows what to do. He just needs the opportunity.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
Ridemuch
SUP

Oddometer: 2,235
I work in a lot of police stations and when i asked a motorcycle cop about how can these young guys afford to insure their one liter sport bikes they told me a lot of them ride without insurance. If they get caught the fine is $5000. Because its the same or lesser amount that they would pay yearly they chance it.

I wounder how 14yr old kids do it in Quebec? They can ride a 50cc or less on the road.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridemuch View Post
I work in a lot of police stations and when i asked a motorcycle cop about how can these young guys afford to insure their one liter sport bikes they told me a lot of them ride without insurance. If they get caught the fine is $5000. Because its the same or lesser amount that they would pay yearly they chance it.

I wounder how 14yr old kids do it in Quebec? They can ride a 50cc or less on the road.
Pretty sad when it has to come to that....

As a 43 yr old recently moved to Ont, I find the insurance very reasonable after coming from BC. I use primmum who now falls under TD insurance.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Timo Explorer
Trail Wizard

Oddometer: 256
Is the Sherpa the only bike you own? If so, then it is already insured and registered in your name, you are the primary driver, so he need not even be mentioned on the policy. Anyone with a valid licence can ride the bike with your permission, and they are covered, including your son.

If you have another bike, then the insurance company will want him to be primary driver on one of the bikes, and yes that's a curse. Shop around different companies and get another opinion other than from family. Primmum seems to be the way to go these days.

I went through the same situation with my son recently. I went through my co-operators policy, lumping the bikes on with cars and home insurance. Helped a bit, but still hurt.

Rider'sPlus won't touch anyone under 25, so stay away from them.

Good luck.
"You can't stay young, but you can stay immature." -- Red Green
"Never leave spontaneity to chance." -- Neil Peart
Timo Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Garnotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridemuch View Post

It cost around 250$ just for the licence plate here in quebec, BUT, with that, you have life insurance, all of your body is covered if you get harm. The scooter itself cost around 100$ for a responsability insurance for 500 000$ if I am right.
Garnotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Explorer View Post
Is the Sherpa the only bike you own? If so, then it is already insured and registered in your name, you are the primary driver, so he need not even be mentioned on the policy. Anyone with a valid licence can ride the bike with your permission, and they are covered, including your son.

If you have another bike, then the insurance company will want him to be primary driver on one of the bikes, and yes that's a curse. Shop around different companies and get another opinion other than from family. Primmum seems to be the way to go these days.

I went through the same situation with my son recently. I went through my co-operators policy, lumping the bikes on with cars and home insurance. Helped a bit, but still hurt.

Good luck.
I dont know if bike insurance is the same as a car, But one of the first things they ask is are there any other licensed drivers in the house.

I had a person added to my policy because they lived in the house, Didn't matter if they were ever going to drive the car or not.

McJamie, Even if its a friend who is in the insurance business, you should still shop around for a quote.
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Atv virgin
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Explorer View Post

Good luck.
My niece is an insur. broker and the way she explained it to me is this.If you have an insured vehicle and your kids live at your address then they need there own coverage( be added to the policy),but if they have a different address(living away for school etc.) they can drive your vehicles with your permission and be covered without any extra coverage.
Atv virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
Ok.
I'm going to open the can of worms my instincts tell me I already know the answer to. My son turns 16 next week. Getting him into a rider training program is not an issue, because I spend my weekends teaching it.
The problem is insurance. My cousin, who is my broker "adjusted" all the numbers he could, and even with the course, and riding my 250 Sherpa, it's still going to cost in/around $5000.00 per year. I'm not sure you could find a less offensive bike than a 250 Sherpa, we use them to teach with. And still they want 5K?

We get lots of younger ( under 18 ) riders taking our courses, how are they managing it?
I'm curious if anyone else has been through this recently ( in Ontario ), and what kind of solution they have come up with.

There is a bit of a grey area when it comes to insurance. Legally, he could ride my bike if he has a licence. If he got stopped, he would have an M2, ownership & insurance( both in my name ). The problem occurs when/if something happens. The insurance company could easily say that they will not cover him or me, then I'm screwed.
I would really like him to be able to ride. He's been doing the dirt bike thing for a long time, and he's been hanging around me on the parking lots watching the training, so he knows what to do. He just needs the opportunity.
That is unbelievable! This is what happens when government makes something compulsory and enforces it by law.
I cannot imagine what stats the insurance companies use to come to that cost.
Is that $5K figure for just basic insurance (no fire, theft or collision) ?

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike View Post
That is unbelievable! This is what happens when government makes something compulsory and enforces it by law.
I cannot imagine what stats the insurance companies use to come to that cost.
Is that $5K figure for just basic insurance (no fire, theft or collision) ?
Yup, as basic as required by law. TD seems to be the best rate at just over $3000.00, but it's still too much. At the moment the Sherpa is the only bike on the road, but I have 2 or maybe 3 others that might see the road before the end of the year. But if he can't ride, there's no rush to finish them. He's really disappointed. His mother is a bit relieved, she wasn't too keen on the idea to start with.
I'm really disappointed.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,299
Went through something similar recently when my wife got her license. Because I own two bikes they wanted to insure her as primary on one of them. I said no. They sat in stunned silence for 30 seconds or so and then said it had to be this way. I said no. More silence. I said my wife can not physically ride either bike as she can't lift one off the side stand (GSA) and the other she can't get on (690). So they sent me an affidavit acknowledging that she would not be covered on either bike. I wanted to sign it Capt Obvious.

She now has her own bike which she was very clear about being the owner and primary operater when she was speaking to the insurance co. When they sent the paperwork they sent it in my name. A quick call to correct this and it was resolved. When they sent the paperwork all three bikes are listed and we are both listed as insured. Whatever.

Insuance for her was >$500 for basic coverage on a Honda 230L.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Went through something similar recently when my wife got her license. Because I own two bikes they wanted to insure her as primary on one of them. I said no. They sat in stunned silence for 30 seconds or so and then said it had to be this way. I said no. More silence. I said my wife can not physically ride either bike as she can't lift one off the side stand (GSA) and the other she can't get on (690). So they sent me an affidavit acknowledging that she would not be covered on either bike. I wanted to sign it Capt Obvious.

She now has her own bike which she was very clear about being the owner and primary operater when she was speaking to the insurance co. When they sent the paperwork they sent it in my name. A quick call to correct this and it was resolved. When they sent the paperwork all three bikes are listed and we are both listed as insured. Whatever.

Insuance for her was >$500 for basic coverage on a Honda 230L.
What insurance company are you using?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #12
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
What insurance company are you using?
TD Meloche Monnex. All our stuff is with them for multi line discount, along with a university alumni discount. Every bit helps. I did shop around last year to price compare and the rates I was being quoted were off the wall. I'll be sticking with TD for now.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
When I was 20 I bought an old CM400 in Ontario and was quoted $4000/ yr for insurance. The kicker was that it was lump sum payment, no monthly billing or anything. It was one of the saddest days of my life, I still remember it. A few years later I moved to Alberta and had a good job so I thought I would investigate the cost of insuring a bike here. 2 year old DRZ 400 cost me $750/yr with monthly payments. I couldn't believe there could be such a price difference given that the CM was worth about $500 and the DRZ was worth like $6700. You guys in ontario get hosed on insurance, I don't know how anyone could afford it. If the fine is equal to the insurance than something has to be wrong- the premium is being used as a deterrent like the fine. When your son turns 18 he can move out here, get a job and a bike I suppose. That's what I would tell him....
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Drilldogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I find insurance here a joke, and the more info you give them the more excited they get. I just renewed the off road insurance on our ttr90 and lifan90. I made a comment about my boys wanting to get riding and that raised a shitstorm.
Apparently kids aren't supposed to ride minibikes. I asked her who she really thought was going to ride these?