Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #151
excTC
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer: 164
I had heated grips but they weren't great. I am not sure if it was the brand the set up or the wrong grips. I used klim gloves which were good but didn't keep the cold out. On leaving tumult even with liners every thing was fine except my hands. On another ride in Europe in the middle of winter I rode with ski gloves and they worked well. Good gloves for the cold or heated grips are a must but mainly for an hour in the morning and at night IMHO.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #152
Danos
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wodonga starters

Hey guys,
Any solo starters planning on leavin from Wodonga? I did the NSW 4 day APC, and loved it! Tossing up whether to do the 14 dayer. I'd love to, but the problem is I can't seem to rustle up anyone to come with me, and I'm a little apprehensive about hitting it solo. Especially on the big 990.

Cheers
Dan
Danos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #153
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
have a go ya mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danos View Post
Hey guys,
Any solo starters planning on leavin from Wodonga? I did the NSW 4 day APC, and loved it! Tossing up whether to do the 14 dayer. I'd love to, but the problem is I can't seem to rustle up anyone to come with me, and I'm a little apprehensive about hitting it solo. Especially on the big 990.

Cheers
Dan
Hi Dan,

You ride well enough to do it. Long term events like this take mental toughness. It is a battle of wits; something like dealing with Quanta flight attendants. You will find somone to ride with just like happened on the 4 day. Just let them do the navigation!

I was planning to have a go but my ageing body has let me down. I simply am just not bike fit. My foot has recovered from the 4 day APC crash, but my shoulder is still not 100%. Wal and I did 320Km on Saturday, but I am sure I would not last more than 4 days.

We have decided to do the Vic APC ride in October.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #154
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Hey guys,
Any solo starters planning on leavin from Wodonga?
Yep thats me I'm old (sort of) and slow and solo.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #155
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
Yep thats me I'm old (sort of) and slow and solo.
Three mates are starting from Wodonga, Pete (DR650) Pexxy (XR650) and Nick (BMW800).

Also met a nice bloke at dargo last week, Adam, who is doing the ride with his dad Colin, both on 990's.

Meet at O'Malleys in Wodonga friday night for drinks and feed (and drinks ) and introduce yourself.

Last year a group of 4 of us hooked up with another 3-4 all solo riders, we ended up doing the entire rally basically as a group. Good to have support and a few laughs along the way.

BTW, had a great ride last week with John mapping some of the high country route.

You will have a blast.

On other point raised above, I'd view heated grips as a 100% necessity. Early morning starts in high country or outback, with wind chill will see your fingers and hands freeze without them. I also used a set of waterproof road bike gloves on these mornings, proved to be a blessing.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #156
Danos
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Alright, thanks for the replies guys. It's good to know that there's plenty of people starting at Wodonga, and hopefully I'd be able to team up with someone! Now just gotta wait until the end of the week for my new work schedule, and see if I scored the time off, and then in goes the entry. Fingers crossed!
Dan
Danos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #157
booked609
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Hey guys,

Cheers
Dan
Dan,
Youll meet others at the start and find youll drift into similar skilled groups. I did the rally last year, rolled up to the start not knowing anybody and ended up riding with a great group of guys.
Not doing it this year due to injury.. already paid for next years though.... you are going to have the best time....
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #158
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,917
Latest update from Rally HQ:

QLD NEWS
We have moved one of the Queensland Start points from Dayboro to Marburg.
"Woodlands" Seminary road Marburg (about 40 km west of Brisbane just off the Warrego Hwy. Here is a link Click here
Unfortunately Dayboro had no accommodation so we have now worked out a deal with the owners of Woodlands at Marburg. This means that riders, friends and spectators can arrive on the Friday afternoon and then all have a meal together and discuss plans on how to approach the rally.
We have sorted out a package deal of $100 per head which includes accom, dinner and cooked breakfast. Couples are $80 per head .This place is very nice and it would be great if rider's partners could come out and be part of things.
Please email them to book a room this week. Friday 17th May 2013 mention APC rally manager@woodlandsofmarburg.com.au

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #159
chriso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I wish APC came closer to us in the top end and had a start point up here too
chriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #160
fatbloke49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Tracks

Now I have to work out how to get to Marburg from Noosa on trails.

I don't want to go straight down the bruce hwy then out to marburg, I would rather make it a half day pre ride before getting to stay the night at Marburg.

Any ideas?
fatbloke49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #161
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,917
Many a rider has come to grief getting to the start line so be careful and play it safe.

Also a last minute reminder to all to check your front axle pinch bolts as that bought a rider to grief the first year before the rally had even started. Please remember to go easy on the first day, with many starting from the one point the red mist can set in real quick and its a long way to the finish.

Damn I wish I was going.

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #162
nry

Oddometer: 1,306
How many are going around this year ?

Have a blast guys !
nry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #163
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 412
If anyone is using the spot connect linked by blue tooth to a phone, here's a tip for you.

Last year my spot would use a set if the lithium batteries in about 2 days. Felt like I spent more on bty than the spot device. I made a complaint to spot support and they told me the following.

First thing in morning, log in the spot and start tracking. Than turn the Bluetooth off on the phone. This will stop the spot connect from constantly communicating by blue tooth with your phone thus using battery power.

Once the spot is running, it does not need phone to keep running i.e. it will keep going till you tell it otherwise.

You can still turn blue tooth on later in the day to check.

I have not had a chance to check this, but it seems to make sense

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #164
fatbloke49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Damn I wish I was going.
It's never to late!!, you know you want too......
fatbloke49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #165
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,429
Will you be posting on the ride, or can you send me a link to your spot maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke49 View Post
It's never to late!!, you know you want too......
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote