Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #17206
hbmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3560

I have heard since doing this that the newer bikes had different settings from the factory. Try it anyway as it only costs a tenner and if you're really tight you can store the oil you take out and put it back in if you don't like the results.
Sounds easy enough!
hbmichael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #17207
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Speaking of front forks...

Got a bit too comfortable on some trails near my house and a tree and I got in a bit of a fight.

Thought I got off clean,but I was looking today and it looks like my front fork is bent. I will be replacing it at some point and now I have a good reason to justify it to my wife. The triple tree looks fine, its just the tubes. I don't really want to spend $1500 on OEM fork assemblies.

That said...

1) What do people have a good experience with? I just need something affordable - i'm guessing that means cannibalizing something from another bike.

2) How long can I wait before replacing the current fork? What issues might I run into if I don't replace it for a few hundred / thousand miles?

optical screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 03:00 PM
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #17208
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Nice photo, but are you sure attaching the straps to the turn signals is the best idea?
Yeah, it's fine. Light day bag with very little tension on those straps. And the straps wrap around the base of the turn sig stalks, where they're strongest.

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #17209
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post

Got a bit too comfortable on some trails near my house and a tree and I got in a bit of a fight.

Thought I got off clean,but I was looking today and it looks like my front fork is bent. I will be replacing it at some point and now I have a good reason to justify it to my wife. The triple tree looks fine, its just the tubes. I don't really want to spend $1500 on OEM fork assemblies.

That said...

1) What do people have a good experience with? I just need something affordable - i'm guessing that means cannibalizing something from another bike.

2) How long can I wait before replacing the current fork? What issues might I run into if I don't replace it for a few hundred / thousand miles?

Have you thought about trying to staighten them on a hydraulic press. They are not bent bad. I did it on an old Yamaha trail bike I had. If the seals don't leak it shouldnt be hard to try. Unless you are really yearning for some higher perfomance forks this might be a cheap fix.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #17210
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead3 View Post
Where did you get that crimsafe mesh? I found their site but no way to find a distributor around NC.
You will probably find it at a custom glass door maker or window repair place I live in Aus thats where I got it. On my Scram i fitted it to the outside of the front down tubes bending it around the outside of the tube drilling a 6mm hole either side of the tube and zip tiying itat the top and bottom use some black foam sealing tape where it comes in contact with the frame tubes, hope that helps
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #17211
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
great helmet, who makes it?
The brand is DMD, it's Italian, made of fiber, weight only 1kg and you can fit it to your head, thanks to the removable interior you can get in many size.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #17212
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post

its just the tubes. I don't really want to spend $1500 on OEM fork assemblies.
You just need to strip them and install new tubes. New tubes are £150 each http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=233292
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #17213
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarksg View Post
Sorry my Brain Fart it should have read Jack Pine.
http://www.bikeexif.com/triumph-t100
A quote fronm the article "Thanks to all for the insightful comments. The oil cooler was the crux of this build. Initially I was committed to a minimal cooler using a Spurgin heat exchanger but could not achieve the lean effect I wanted. My brother’s encouragement (at times dangerous but always fun) pushed me to do the final build without it. Before I pulled the trigger, I talked with Bill Himmelsbach (http://www.eurosports.net/staf... about his scrambler builds. Bill knows these bikes inside and out and assured me that the oil cooler loop is independent from the lubrication circuit and that capping the feed does not stress the pump. He runs a big bore kit and mild cams without a cooler. After 3000 miles (including a track day and a flogging by the moto journalist Alan Cathcart), Bill disassembled the engine and saw no unusual wear. Furthermore, Bill said there was no color change around the piston wrist pin, an area that turns a telltale gold tint with overheating. That said, I offer the Spurgin cooler set-up as a no cost option. I do not run one on the development mule, but plan to install it when the bike is prepared for my Delhi to Leh-Ladakh ride next spring. Feel free to email directly with additional questions at james@hammarhead.com ."

I have been using Bill Gately's oil coolers for a couple of years with out incident. http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com/.

No connection with any of these suppliers other than a customer of Bill Gately
YMMV
Skiddy
Thanks Skid, so I have something to read and study

Old 04-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #17214
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400SK4 View Post
The joy continues...

What brand of luggage is that? I have been looking for something that size
Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #17215
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,539
Anybody with Kenda Big Blocks? I hesitate to add to the already loosey-goosey feel of the Scram, but my driveway mud has been a mofo this year and the Tourances aren't cutting it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #17216
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
The brand is DMD, it's Italian, made of fiber, weight only 1kg and you can fit it to your head, thanks to the removable interior you can get in many size.

Very nice vintage graphics on that site, thanks for the info...

I don't suppose you could give us an opinion on the fit? Is it very "round"? Seems like all the 3/4 helmets have a distinctly round (as opposed to narrow) profile...
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #17217
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Very nice vintage graphics on that site, thanks for the info...

I don't suppose you could give us an opinion on the fit? Is it very "round"? Seems like all the 3/4 helmets have a distinctly round (as opposed to narrow) profile...
No, they aren't so round. I got a long small face. Offen the helmets hurt my front when they fit me good on the side. And if I've place enough on the front, sides are too wide.
Here not. I've got the L inline on the top and the XS inline on the sides.
It's one of the smallest helmets certified.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #17218
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Playing around in the Northern Virginia Tag-o-Rama game today, and made my first water crossing!

I've been keeping a tripod in one of my side bags lately, and since I always have a camera with me, I figured that this would be a good chance to get this on video. If ever there would be a time for me to fall, might as well share it with the rest of you! (Spoiler: didn't fall.)

You can watch the video on the Water Crossings, Soggy, Muddy & Drowned Bikes thread

Mastodon screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 05:21 PM
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #17219
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
Playing around in the Northern Virginia Tag-o-Rama game today, and made my first water crossing!

I've been keeping a tripod in one of my side bags lately, and since I always have a camera with me, I figured that this would be a good chance to get this on video. If ever there would be a time for me to fall, might as well share it with the rest of you! (Spoiler: didn't fall.)

You can watch the video on the Water Crossings, Soggy, Muddy & Drowned Bikes thread
Nice work! I gotta try that soon
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #17220
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
No, they aren't so round. I got a long small face. Offen the helmets hurt my front when they fit me good on the side. And if I've place enough on the front, sides are too wide.
Here not. I've got the L inline on the top and the XS inline on the sides.
It's one of the smallest helmets certified.

Wow, that sounds promising. I wear an arai profile (large) and haven't been able to find anything close to an oval fit in a vintage 3/4 helmet.

They are pricey, but it would be worth it if it fits. Thanks for the recommendation.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote