Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Bridgestone Excedras have given me more miles than any other tire, they may not be available any more. One came stock on the rear of my '02 Vulcan 750, and I got 20,000 miles out of it. I did run it a couple thousand miles beyond where it probably should have been replaced. I always run tires at "max" pressure. Not a safety issue on a touring bike or cruiser. But I have never seen max pressure anywhere near 50 psi. I believe the Bridgestone was 41 psi. Might have been 36 psi. I only got 10,000 miles out of the same tire on a 1500 Goldwing. Bike, rider, passenger, and cargo weight make a huge difference. That's why a lot of Goldwing riders are using car tires on the rear. They are rarely ever ridden in an aggressive manner, and to my knowledge there has never been an accident caused by doing so.

As far as the pressure, what is marked on the sidewall is the "max" SAFE pressure, so it is safe to use it. Tire manufacturers are probably the most sued vehicle component manufacturers ever, they will noot recommend something unsafe. In fact, they give you a pretty wide margin of error. I would much rather rise on an over inflated tire than an underinflated tire. An over inflated tire will wear out the center faster, but an under inflated tire will allow the sidewalls to flex, build up heat, and develop cracks. The tire can literally come apart on you while riding. That is what happened with the Firestone tire/Ford explorer fiasco. Ford got complaints from customers about the harsh ride (it's a truck, what did they expect) so they recommended tire pressures way below what Firestone did, and people followed Ford's recommendation. We all know the result. 100% Ford's fault.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Bridgestone Excedras have given me more miles than any other tire, they may not be available any more. One came stock on the rear of my '02 Vulcan 750, and I got 20,000 miles out of it. I did run it a couple thousand miles beyond where it probably should have been replaced. I always run tires at "max" pressure. Not a safety issue on a touring bike or cruiser. But I have never seen max pressure anywhere near 50 psi. I believe the Bridgestone was 41 psi. Might have been 36 psi. I only got 10,000 miles out of the same tire on a 1500 Goldwing. Bike, rider, passenger, and cargo weight make a huge difference. That's why a lot of Goldwing riders are using car tires on the rear. They are rarely ever ridden in an aggressive manner, and to my knowledge there has never been an accident caused by doing so.

As far as the pressure, what is marked on the sidewall is the "max" SAFE pressure, so it is safe to use it. Tire manufacturers are probably the most sued vehicle component manufacturers ever, they will noot recommend something unsafe. In fact, they give you a pretty wide margin of error. I would much rather rise on an over inflated tire than an underinflated tire. An over inflated tire will wear out the center faster, but an under inflated tire will allow the sidewalls to flex, build up heat, and develop cracks. The tire can literally come apart on you while riding. That is what happened with the Firestone tire/Ford explorer fiasco. Ford got complaints from customers about the harsh ride (it's a truck, what did they expect) so they recommended tire pressures way below what Firestone did, and people followed Ford's recommendation. We all know the result. 100% Ford's fault.

Jeepers JerryH, you would think that with all those flat tires you get (minimum 2 a year you said) that you would be buying a lot more tires than that. How many plugs will you put in one of those handy tubeless tires before you replace the tire?

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I have 3 plugs in the rear tire on my Vulcan 750 right now, and it is only half worn out. This one may not make it to 20,000 miles, but I'm going to get everything I can out of it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
scapegoat OP
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,874
Tire pressures

So this brings up a question regarding tire pressure.
Say you buy the HD recommended Dunlops. Tire, HD manual and bike frame stickie has the same info, inflate to 42 with two up/max load. So say you run it at 36 solo unloaded.
You switch to brand X tire which carries the same max load capacity as the Dunlop, but the tire says to run it 50 psi with max loaded. Wouldent it be asking for trouble running this new tire at 36 psi? Low tires create heat,heat kills tries yes?
48 to 50 inflation in my current Metzler came after reading numerous posts that said run Metz's on the high end or they will wear out to fast and suck handling wise. Also the Metz website had similar info as some tires, including my particular tires, were literally branded over the original load and fill info with new higher specs.
You are right that use the rear brake more than I used to on this bike. Guess its become habit as the hands get worst every year. Perhaps that where the problem lies.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #20
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Running too high a pressure will also wear tyres out fast,
completely disagree.

By observation of results, (and I have not really calmed down on throttle or braking) I'm forced to conclude that high pressure could mean less grip because of less heat and less deformation but therefore less wear and tear.

I'm about to finish 20000km with my PR2, and I put 39psi at the rear instead of 36. A new record for me. And all that without cupping at all.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #21
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 972
I replaced the rear Continental GO THAT the OP installed on my CX, after 8k miles, with a set of Shinko 712. The front Conti still has some life left in it.

8600 miles later I put on a new 712 on the rear - just over a month ago. Getting close to 3k on this rear and it's starting to square off as well. I have a daily commute of 180 freeway miles. Plus I tend to be throttle heavy in the morning (to get to the job on time!)

I had been looking for a tire that would last longer but on a cost per mile basis, the 712 is reasonably priced.

My front tires are hardly worn - I think I will be at a 3:1 ratio on replacing the rear vs the front.

I was low on the pressure on the first 712 (mid 20's). This time I am up closer to the maximum pressure of 36 psi.

phat fingered on my smarty pants phone with Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #22
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I'm about to finish 20000km with my PR2, and I put 39psi at the rear instead of 36. A new record for me. And all that without cupping at all.
39psi is well within the 'correct' inflation for a PR2, and 36 is too low. The max load rate on a PR2/3 is 42 or 44 psi from memory. I ran my 1250 Bandit's PR2s and 3s at 38F/40R and got very decent mileage out of the PR3s compared to the PR2s and the previous Bridgestones.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #23
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
39psi is well within the 'correct' inflation for a PR2, and 36 is too low. ..
Yep. the manuals are way off. The kawa 650r manual says 32 in front, 36 rear... no wonder I had terrible cupping at the front in the first years! Now its 36psi in front, 39, even 40psi with luggage in back. pr2 rocks, but this is an adv forum, so I'll shutup now...lol
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #24
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,038
I get about 20,000 miles.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #25
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
I get about 20,000 miles.

I'm doing that on the Goldwing for it's next tire.

What size is that?
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'm doing that on the Goldwing for it's next tire.

What size is that?
The tire is a Dunlop Winter Sport - 195/55R16.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #27
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
FYI: The tire pressure in the owners manual or on the sticker on your bike is for the tires that came on the bike from the factory.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #28
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
The tire is a Dunlop Winter Sport - 195/55R16.

Thanks!!

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
scapegoat OP
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
FYI: The tire pressure in the owners manual or on the sticker on your bike is for the tires that came on the bike from the factory.
Thats what I was thinkin.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
So , do you apply this wisdom to your four wheeled vehicles as well ? And run the max pressure on the side of the tire ? You really don't know what you're talking about.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote