Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #196
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ata View Post
it works really well

in

Half of the problem of photography is the gear. Throwing money at the problem will get you better pictures no matter what I think. The real artists are those who can capture life in all its beauty with a point and shoot. That would not be me...
Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #197
ata
expat in the jungle

Oddometer: 2,274
agree you
itīs all about the right time to do the pic showing just what must be shown and that canīt be improved with photoshop

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #198
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
Morelia is jam-packed with stunningly appointed restaurants in a variety of styles. Here are a few shots of our favorite hangout.

wow holy cow what a place. took me awhile to realize the 2nd picture was one big picture. looks like it came right out of the Frida movie. Love to get in there with a tripod and shoot some long shutter shots with that light. That place is cool!
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #199
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
wow holy cow what a place. took me awhile to realize the 2nd picture was one big picture. *snip*
I can see why :-)
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #200
nachtflug
infidel

I swear these are opening up even bigger at work on my 17 inch flat screen than at home on my 27 inch IMac. wierd.

What camera were these taken with?

got any more shots of this place? it really is a fascinating place and the natural light makes it even better. talk about ambience.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #201
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I swear these are opening up even bigger at work on my 17 inch flat screen than at home on my 27 inch IMac. wierd.

What camera were these taken with?

got any more shots of this place? it really is a fascinating place and the natural light makes it even better. talk about ambience.
The shots were taken with a Nikon D700 and a 24-70 2.8 lens. The file you are seeing is 25MB in RAW format and 7.3MB in PhotoRGB

The Morelia slideshow on my webite www.nohorizons.net has more pictures of this place.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #202
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
The shots were taken with a Nikon D700 and a 24-70 2.8 lens. The file you are seeing is 25MB in RAW format and 7.3MB in PhotoRGB

The Morelia slideshow on my webite www.nohorizons.net has more pictures of this place.
I have a D700 myself, awesome camera, I've found auto ISO to be very good when I'm shooting outdoors and also the cloudy and sunny white balance options to help when applicable. Loving your ride report here and on your blog, your quote about not wanting to tiptoe carefully to the end of your life is powerful. Go for it!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #203
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

April 2, 2013 - Getting the van and bikes out of the container turned out to be a piece of cake. Kelvin, the manager from the shipping office even drove us to the port and did a bunch of the running round with us. This was his first exposure dealing with a carnet de passage and even some of the customs people were a bit vague as to what needed to happen.

Since I was the only one of us who had done the procedure before, I walked with Kelvin into the chief's office and unimpressed with his decorations that would put any five star Western general to shame, pointed out where he needed to stamp and sign our carnets. A quick drive to the container dock and an hour later we had our toys unloaded.

I stuck around in Kuala Lumpur for a few more days and changed out the rear tire and oil filter, set the valves and some other nonsense. The bike also got a wash, it had been since our stay with Stephen in Arizona that it had seen some dedicated water. My next stop was George Town, on Penang island.

George Town is a wonderfully messy UNESCO World Heritage site. I drove around the island which was quite pleasant and then settled down to discover the place on foot.

One of the main attractions is the Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion. Quite well appointed on the inside too.

The largest Buddha statue in Southern Asia is not too far away from town, part of the Keh Lok Si Temple.

Just walking around George Town with a camera is a pure joy. Especially at night there is a lot of activity.

The concept of a "restaurant" here is nonexistent, by and large. All the best food is served from temporary stalls set up from the afternoon till late at night. The choices are mostly unidentifiable and overwhelming. Local ice cream is a delicacy.

The preferred method of getting around in the old city is still by rickshaw.

The religious mix is interesting and co-exists happily it seems. Mosques, Hindu temples and clusters of the Buddhist, Taoist and Confucian places of worship sit happily within sight of each other. My favorite restaurant is an East Indian joint, serving the traditional meat dishes (pork included) and is frequented by mostly Muslims in traditional dress. Go figure.

There is no shortage of places to photograph.

A stroll at night nets all sorts of stories being played out.

There is a fair bit of prostitution as well, mostly transvestites.

This one was positioned exactly across the street from these guys.

There is a fair bit of public art scattered throughout the old town.

There are even some drug dealers.

The bike has been ignored for at least the last ten days or so, a thin film of rust visible on the disc due to the afternoon rains we get here. Leaving South America and being back in Asia, with its much more relaxed pace, has certainly caused me to drastically slow down. Thankfully Malaysia issues three month visas upon arrival. Time to lay off the throttle for a while.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #204
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Good to see you back and posting. Now from Malaysia. Getting around!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #205
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,646
Great pics! I'll be watching your asia leg closely.. i'm on my way there after siberia.

Cheers!
Noah
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #206
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Great pics! I'll be watching your asia leg closely.. i'm on my way there after siberia.

Cheers!
Noah
You can get ahead of that if you check my old site here:
http://www.nohorizons.net/index2.htm
Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #207
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

April 21, 2013 - Travel is about experience, mostly about meeting new people, cultures, eating unidentifiable food and enjoying a different slice of life than what you are used to. Yes, there are great motorcycle roads too and fantastic pictures to be taken here and there. Sometimes a deep conversation with a complete stranger for hours on end.

All of that came to a screeching halt on April 10th, when I found myself locked up in solitary confinement for ten days at Dhamma Malaya. For ten days all my choices were taken away from me, I was fed and watered at set times, told how and where to sit, when to wash and most importantly, not to say a word during the whole ordeal. Wakeup calls were at 4:00 AM, lights out at 9:30 PM. We were forced to watch a re-education video for about an hour every day too. Wearily my fellow prisoners and I looked around in silence, no doubt wondering what we had gotten ourselves into this time.

My cell block, Q5, was in the middle of the lot and the guy next to me snored like Caterpillar out of control, so I got little sleep.

Granted, this was all a self-inflicted process as I'd always wanted to do a ten day "sit", ten days of quiet meditation, just to see what it would do.

Dhamma Malaya is probably one of the nicer places on earth to do a ten Vipassana meditation course. Although sitting and meditating for eleven hours a day is not everyone's cup of tea, it does give you time to get away from the world and be with yourself. Did I mention you had to surrender all your worldly goods upon entry?

Although there were some slight hints of "religion", there wasn't a Buddha statue to be found in the whole complex and the focus is entirely on meditation and the Vipassana technique. It was an experience for sure and I learned a few things along the way. For one, I can now sit in complete silence without moving a muscle and having a single thought for at least an hour.

With an even emptier mind than I went in, I was however glad to get back on the bike and suffer the deafening clatter of the valves as I rode off into the real world.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #208
slide
A nation in despair

Did they give you your stuff back?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #209
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Did they give you your stuff back?
Yup. They keep your phone, camera and other distractions for the time you are there.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #210
slide
A nation in despair

Oh, that sort of stuff. I pictured you being naked while in there.