User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
squatingdog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Isle of Mann 2013

Thinking of taking in the races at isle of Mann this year , can anyone give me advice on where to stay , places to watch from , travel from Ireland to the races , transportation while at the Isle ?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ..thank you in advance
squatingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,810
I am planning to go in 2015, so have been paying some attention to how others plan their trips. At this late date, things will be very booked up.

You are in luck, though! Check out this guy's website that does IOM tours. The website says he has 4 spots left.

http://www.biketours-uk.com/catman/s...62/6/index.cms

We are taking our wives with us, and they they are not keen on camping in possible rain. If it wasn't for that, this guy's tour sounds like an absolute blast.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

For more information about viewing areas, search for threads with "Isle of Man" in the title only. There are a couple on here with some great info, and I haven't had the chance to process it well enough to speak knowledgeably about it yet.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
You are in luck, though! Check out this guy's website that does IOM tours. The website says he has 4 spots left.

http://www.biketours-uk.com/catman/s...62/6/index.cms

We are taking our wives with us, and they they are not keen on camping in possible rain. If it wasn't for that, this guy's tour sounds like an absolute blast.
Bill used to do 'homestay' as an option. Certainly a good option for no camping. But I'd think that is totally booked out .. if you want it for 2014 book it now. You can always get a camping spot, but a ferry ride now with any kind of vehicle? Probably not for race week - you 'd have to go earlier and leave later.

Places to watch? Anywhere really. There are places where no one is allowed to watch, some where 'officials only'. Stay out of those for your own safety ... those are dangerous places! I chose to watch at slow spots .. or from behind a solid wall. I went in 2007 ... 3 racers killed and 4 spectators killed during racing. You choice as to where you want to watch .. chose carefully. Having said that I'd go again. The slow spots give you a better view of the riders/bikes as they do go slower ...

Transport - the Isle has bus transport to the major centers. It is far cheaper to hire a car than a bike. You might be lucky and hire one on the isle ..but at this stage I think they will be all gone. Do remember they drive on the correct left side of the road
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

There is a place in/near London called Superbike Hire UK or something like that. You may have better luck farther away from the Isle, and the prices are lower.

I hope to watch in one of the towns, so I can stroll over to the pub between races for a drink and some bangers and mash.

What is the name of that bridge the rider catch air from?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
WIDELOAD
Bunburyist

Oddometer: 140
I have met quite a few travellers off here at the TT & MGP. As mentioned on other threads if you are on the Island for the races make your way to Ballaugh Bridge...I'm the larger of the two DSM's...I will endeavour to answer any questions. If you need help an email to...

wideload@manx.net

...or a pm will get my mobile number...not long now
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Not long to go now cant wait. August 2013 is the time to get booking for 2014
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
August is a bit late to plan the next year, I usually pay deposit for ferry and campsite for next year when I am on the island this year. Sailings from northern Ireland book out so fast you have to do that to get what you want. Check out the steam packet ferry company site to see what sailings are available from Ireland north and south although you'll be lucky to get anything good this late
Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatingdog View Post
Thinking of taking in the races at isle of Mann this year , can anyone give me advice on where to stay , places to watch from , travel from Ireland to the races , transportation while at the Isle ?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ..thank you in advance
Also there is already a good thread in trip planning emea sub forum probably still on first page. We should keep this all together

As for transport the island is tiny walk or get the bus i bring my bike because I can but I wouldn't pay to hire one. Also home stay is obscenely expensive and boring as you can't wreck around in someone's home checkout Glenn lough camp site. Also only 1 n in Isle of Man
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
squatingdog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Thank you all!!

Thank you all for the info ,if anyone else has info please post
squatingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Think laterally

I'm off to the IOM again this year, but of course I left booking till late, in fact only a couple of weeks ago. All ferries booked out from England to IOM, so I checked Ireland to IOM. No worries, so it's Liverpool to Dublin and then Dublin to Douglas, only 50 quid extra.

Regarding accommodation, camping is good fun on the IOM, great opportunity to meet new folks. Tell the wives to toughen up.

Regards,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
shepp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Hi. Just noticed this thread. I think you may have left it abit late in the day to fin somewhere to stay as most of the hotels are booked up 12 months in advance. You should find places to stay if your willing to camp. Have you checked for spaces on the ferry?. This is normally booked up well in advance. Try the TT website, but l think it will be more a case of sending out emails or making lots of phone calls.
shepp is offline   Reply With Quote