Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
ULELUZE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
3-4 day trip through Ontario - Suggestions?

I am planning a 3 or 4 day trip in Ontario for this weekend and am looking for some suggestions.
I am riding an F800GS with stock Pirelli Tires.

I was thinking one of these routes, but am looking for suggestions, they can involve leaving Ontario but I need to do a round trip to the GTA in 3 days, 4 MAX...

1) Leave GTA for Tobermory, take the ferry to Manitoulin Island, go over to Sudbury and back down through 522 and take dirt roads down to 518 to Rosseau, then follow 632 to 118 to 169 to Southwood road and back to Toronto.

2) Leave GTA towards Coboconk then uptowards Dorset and into Algonquin, follow over to Petawawa, and up to North Bay. Down through Magnetawan and into Rosseau, follow the same final steps as number 1.

3) Leave GTA towards North Bay but through Coboconk and Huntsville, followup 11 up to New Liskeard, then go towards Elk Lake, Follow 560 to 144 and down to Sudbury, then towards Parry Sound, and back to TO.

Any other ideas?
ULELUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULELUZE
Any other ideas?
Give it shot!!!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx PA-3 day trip.gpx (129.5 KB, 83 views)
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,655
Ok, here's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth, because everyone has a different way of traveling, different likes/dislikes, different degrees of "planning". Having done lots of random exploring trips, and a few GPS-tracked trips, this is what I would do (and will do, from now on).

Point your nose north, follow it down the roads that look interesting. Stop when you want. Eat when you want. Get lost in places you don't know. Ask locals what you should check out in the area, ask some local motorcyclists to recommend a good road or three.

Camp (or hotel?) in the early evening, relax and read a good book.

Repeat the same thing on day 2.

Day 3, point your nose south, repeat again.

Repeat again on Day 4. If you'd rather go south than north, just reverse this route plan!

Don't lock yourself into any "destination", route, hotel, or anything. Wander, explore, meet some local folks, find some great stuff on your own. Riding pre-planned GPS tracks, or timing out a trip plan, or pre-booking motels or campgrounds, IMHO, really detracts from the whole experience of touring and ADVenture. If you have to be back in four days, make THAT your only hard fixed point. Otherwise, just wander!

Just my thoughts.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,839
Well said

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Mimic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULELUZE
I am planning a 3 or 4 day trip in Ontario for this weekend and am looking for some suggestions.
I am riding an F800GS with stock Pirelli Tires.

I was thinking one of these routes, but am looking for suggestions, they can involve leaving Ontario but I need to do a round trip to the GTA in 3 days, 4 MAX...

1) Leave GTA for Tobermory, take the ferry to Manitoulin Island, go over to Sudbury and back down through 522 and take dirt roads down to 518 to Rosseau, then follow 632 to 118 to 169 to Southwood road and back to Toronto.

2) Leave GTA towards Coboconk then uptowards Dorset and into Algonquin, follow over to Petawawa, and up to North Bay. Down through Magnetawan and into Rosseau, follow the same final steps as number 1.

3) Leave GTA towards North Bay but through Coboconk and Huntsville, followup 11 up to New Liskeard, then go towards Elk Lake, Follow 560 to 144 and down to Sudbury, then towards Parry Sound, and back to TO.

Any other ideas?
My buddy from Sudbury will vouch for Hwy 560. They all sound great though.
Ride safe.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Brutus62
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Ride from North Bay to Rosseau

I see this thread is quite old but I hope someone picks it up.Last year a couple of buddys and I did a trip up the Nipissing Road trail from Magnetawan to Nipissing and then around the lake to Sturgean Falls then back roads and snowmobile trails to a camp/lodge called Pine Falls Resort.Iwas wondering if anyone has any information or GPS tracks for this area.I am olso wondering if the road/trail south of Magnetawan is passable all the way to Rosseau on 141. Thanks for any input.
Brutus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 940
Nipissing trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus62 View Post
I see this thread is quite old but I hope someone picks it up.Last year a couple of buddys and I did a trip up the Nipissing Road trail from Magnetawan to Nipissing and then around the lake to Sturgean Falls then back roads and snowmobile trails to a camp/lodge called Pine Falls Resort.Iwas wondering if anyone has any information or GPS tracks for this area.I am olso wondering if the road/trail south of Magnetawan is passable all the way to Rosseau on 141. Thanks for any input.
Three of us did the Nipissing trail starting from Hwy 141 to North Bay, It is passable for sure but a few water crossings. One that is kinda deep and could be deeper depending on the weather etc..It too three of us almost a day to ride it. I do not have any tracks for it but it is on the map as a road.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Brutus62
n00b

Nippising Rd.

That's great, thanks for the info, looking forward to getting up there again soon,love the area and the people
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 395
Uleluze

Get a copy of the Ontario Backroads Atlas. Find some squiggily roads and follow Country Doc's advice. P.S. take some warm clothes and have fun!!!
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Brutus62
n00b

Riding under water

May need scuba gear with all this rain and flooding in cottage country,ah well maybe this weekend,here's to mud in the eyes.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus62 View Post
For paved stuff, 632 going north, I believe from Rosseau is one of the twistiest roads in Ontario.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Brutus62
n00b

North of Rosseau

Cool I'll check it out, thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
For paved stuff, 632 going north, I believe from Rosseau is one of the twistiest roads in Ontario.
Is that the same as Peninsula Rd?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
Is that the same as Peninsula Rd?
That's the one and the same. Port Carling at the south end and Rosseau at the north. Great, great riding in the middle. It's pretty short @ ~11 km, but if you extend it all the way through from Rosseau to Port Carling, it winds up being ~27 km. Nice ride. That whole area of Muskoka, Georgian Bay, Parry Sound, etc. is just wonderful to explore. Pick a road and go. It's hard to go wrong.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Brutus62
n00b

Ride to Rosseau

Made it up to Rosseau Saturday on the XT,but just on the edge of the village I broke a spoke.I stopped to tape it to an ajoining one but it was to late, damage done,flat tire, and me with no patching kit.Thanks to a wonderful lady at the gas bar at the corner in Rosseau,making some phone calls but finding no one that could patch a tube on a Saturday affternoon, finally called her husband,who after offering me his compressor,to no avail, helped me load the bike in the back of his pick up and delivered Me and the bike to my buddy's cottage on Harris lake outside of Parry Sound on 124.Thank God for northern hospitality.Thanks to Kell and his Wife at the gas bar.Oh ya, another friend who was on the trails west of Dunchurch on his XT350,had a patching kit with him so when they returned to the cottage, my XT was back in action in no time.First thing to add to the tool kit is a tire repair kit and a couple of tire spoons.