Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #4681
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
I didn't request sealed rims, and I didn't see it on the invoice, so I'm assuming they're not. I'm running the tires with tubes.

Here's the itemized breakdown:

Front rim - 231.99
Rear rim - 233.95
7-175ga stainless steel spokes & nipples - 254.16
OEM hubs - 341.75 each
Labor - 222.00

Tires were about $300 total including the tubes.
You can also get the same rims and spokes superlaced to your existing hubs, current tires mounted and balanced for under $900 if you happen to be local like me.... two day turnaround over the blah Denver winter. These guys ( Woody's ) are pretty damn fine people. Very very noticeable ride quality difference.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #4682
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
I didn't request sealed rims, and I didn't see it on the invoice, so I'm assuming they're not. I'm running the tires with tubes.

Here's the itemized breakdown:

Front rim - 231.99
Rear rim - 233.95
7-175ga stainless steel spokes & nipples - 254.16
OEM hubs - 341.75 each
Labor - 222.00

Tires were about $300 total including the tubes.
Thanks for taking the time to post details and pics MG!

One of these days....
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #4683
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
It's close to being "ready" for some adventures.

To-do list:

- Shorten sidestand or get a shorter one (Hyperpro rear shock lowered the height a bit).

- Get X-Tank installed.

mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #4684
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 296
Quote:

To-do list:

- Shorten sidestand or get a shorter one (Hyperpro rear shock lowered the height a bit).

- Get X-Tank installed.

Very nice. What windshield is it?
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #4685
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepjride View Post
+1..

I recently inquired about a similar looking one (only smoke color) here;

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php...pictures/page6
http://www.parabrisascurtain.com/pro...-challenge.htm

Maybe its the same company?

Nice build list MG - mine is very similar.. Rear shock is done, Renazco rebuild in a month, and an XTank in there too.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #4686
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepjride View Post
It's the Pro Screen from www.parabrisascurtain.com.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #4687
hedd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:

To-do list:

- Get X-Tank installed.

It that a standard Hyperpro 461? I just bought one also and mine mounts much differently according to the directions. I really don't care for the mount but the shock is a huge improvement!

Below is a picture of mine, I have seen another mounted the same way but the Euro versions look more like yours.

The first two pictures are not exactly the final setup.

hedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #4688
hedd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I took the bike out for the first decent ride since installing the Hyperpro 461. I had the air shock for the first 8k on the bike and really didn't mind it but it finally became too soft and the rebound control didn't do anything so I decided it was time to change it out. I went with the Hyperpro because it had good reviews and I didn't want the additional height of the Ohlins.

First off I immediately noticed that the bike is easier to ride because the shock is not constantly lifting up when unweighted. I also was finally able to get the sag set correctly and it stayed at the same height throughout the ride! It seems that I can lift the front end easier now possibly since the rear end is much better dampened. Finally, the front end dive is much less when braking which was a surprise to me.

Over the weekend I road some highway, OHV trails and ATV trails. The shock is a significant improvement. The rear end is much better controlled and seems to stay in contact much better than previously which gave me more confidence. High speed and low speed riding both felt much better. So far I have stuck with the stock compression settings and only played with the rebound, once I am a little more used to the feel of the shock I will fine tune the high and low speed compression.

I don't have much to compare this bike too so take what I've written for what it's worth but I am very happy with the change in the bike.

Below is a little video from a short section of the trail.

http://vimeo.com/64472038
hedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #4689
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

hedd,

The 461 was prepared by EPM Performance to be 1.5" lower. I had to get a special mounting bracket from them for the oil reservoir to attach to my Touratech subframe.

We're in the same neck of the woods, so let me know if you'd like to see it in person. Also, where do you ride around here?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #4690
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedd View Post
It that a standard Hyperpro 461? I just bought one also and mine mounts much differently according to the directions. I really don't care for the mount but the shock is a huge improvement!

I recently installed my new Yacugar shock (very much like HP), with that same exact bracket. I really don't mind the location, but I remade the bracket so that the reservoir and hose had more clearance to the LV exhaust - and it marrys up nice to my Hepco Becker pannier rack bracket. I don't believe the reservoir/hose to exhaust clearance is as much of an issue with the stock BMW exhaust, as in that area, the exhaust seems to ride much higher. I'm also monitoring how much, if any, boot rub I get on the reservoir. I think that can be easily fixed though if necessry with a little cover.

I think I feel more comfortable with the res in that location, then hanging off the back of the subframe where it might be more susceptible to flying objects in the wheel well - but I have no experience or evidence to support that opinion.

I can post pics of mine if you'd like...

I do agree with most of your evaluation though - especially the fact that I do not get bucked off as was the case with the OEM air bag!. Mine was also built to lower the ride (as I am vertically challenged ) and ended up around 3/4" lower with my SAG's set correctly.

mtncrawler screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 09:07 PM
Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #4691
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank Bags

Any suggestions for a top-quality tank bag that fits well on the X-Challenge? I see the Touratech one, but it's a bit pricey.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #4692
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Any suggestions for a top-quality tank bag that fits well on the X-Challenge? I see the Touratech one, but it's a bit pricey.
No experience here, but a couple folks have told me to check out the Giant Loop Diablo and Fandango for smaller TB's. They both have the same footprint, but the Diablo is lower/smaller. That's the one I'm going to check out. Both $155 I believe, but Renazco gives a 10% ADVRider discount.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #4693
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
I really like my Wolfman Enduro. It's fairly small, which is why I like it, but they have bigger ones such as the Expedition and Explorer series as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #4694
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedd View Post
Over the weekend I road some highway, OHV trails and ATV trails.
Looks like I missed out on some awesome riding Jonothan. Definitely keep me in mind for next time (although Saturdays are bad this time of year with kid's soccer). I'm sure McGarrett would be up for it too.

But we might have to get matching jackets since we'd all have matching bikes!

(By the way, I did end up trading the strom for a 5th gen VFR this weekend. I'm only a Ducati away from matching your garage!)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #4695
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Wolfman Fandango... works great, just the right size, and easy to pivot out of the way to refuel the large TT tank I have installed on my bike. I used it on my Southern California to Chicago and back adventure last summer and I have nothing bad to say about it. It is completely waterproof. I rode from Oklahoma City to somewhere in Southern Missouri in a very heavy downpour and everything in the bag was dry...

I even used this tank bag on my 2012 R1200 GS Adventure for rides when I don't need to use my huge BMW tank bag...

And, as others have said, the Diablo tank bag and the Fandango tank bag share the same mounting system...