Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #75976
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indytriumph View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, I filled out my profile. I live in north central Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Is that for the weird California smog stuff?
No, it's for the weird Kalifornians.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 10:50 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #75977
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Was this photo taken in AZ on Bloody Basin Rd?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #75978
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Popping and pinging

Hi Guys

My wifes DR has started to pop & ping when she backs off the throttle?? Not sure what is going on but noticed that the fuel filter is basically dry after a ride, it may not be related but the bike is only a few months old. I was thinking that it maybe starving a little. We have 30L safari tanks fitted.
The filter is one of those clear ones with a stone thing inside. Any ideas would be great.

Heading out for a 4 day rideon Thursday so a ride report coming soon.

Cheers
CCCC
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #75979
Indytriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I honestly do not remember the name of the road, I know I was north of Phoenix. I was visiting the National parks and monuments in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Was this photo taken in AZ on Bloody Basin Rd?
Indytriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #75980
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
Hi Guys

My wifes DR has started to pop & ping when she backs off the throttle?? Not sure what is going on but noticed that the fuel filter is basically dry after a ride, it may not be related but the bike is only a few months old. I was thinking that it maybe starving a little. We have 30L safari tanks fitted.
The filter is one of those clear ones with a stone thing inside. Any ideas would be great.

Heading out for a 4 day rideon Thursday so a ride report coming soon.

Cheers
CCCC
At the very least I'd change the filter, they are like a $1 a piece and take all of a minute to change. I know I can always see fuel in mine so long as the petcock is on.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #75981
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Grandma's Buick

I'm half way through suspension upgrade.

Race Tech .47 fork springs and Emulators installed but still running stock shock (plan is 7.5kg spring on Ohlins shock).

The DR650 no longer feels like joyriding in Grandma's Buick. Stiffer, straight wound springs with slightly more preload rides a bit higher and dives less in braking. Steering is more precise due to lack of wallowing but slightly slower initially from lazier fork angle. I thought it would be goofy with soft rear but it is better than stock - will be much better with stiffer, slightly higher rear. I like running with sag but am inclined to leave this set up higher for better clearance. Been smackin things last couple of rides. Overall the bike feels more competent, safer and is still smooth enough over small bumps.

Basically, the DR is starting to exhibit a little personality. Stiffer fork springs are a must for my 195lbs but I'd been having too much fun just riding it to this point. Should hold a line better through bumps, ruts and rocks now. I kept running past the bike's limits on steeper climbs where I had to maintain momentum. I'm too old for rodeos so the suspension upgrades should allow for a bit of decorum while scooting through the rough stuff.

Thanks to everyone sharing their fork work experience. I would add the following tips for those following the excellent fork threads here and on drriders etc.

Wash the fork exteriors thoroughly before starting. No sense exposing solvent or internals to dirt that is easily removed.

I had a great mortar mix tub
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Medium-Mi...2086173?N=aq89
along with a smaller round oil drain pan and couple of smaller containers for managing oily parts and kerosene.

Nitryl gloves help save skin and handle parts/cap ends while shaking solvent inside tubes and legs. I had a vinyl plug that fit the bottom bolt hole of fork leg.

I only used about half a quart of kerosene (over $10/gal) by pouring through tubes and legs between the two small containers. A small diameter wood dowel rod was useful to push paper towels, then lint free rag through tubes and legs.

My bike only had 5500 miles and I could have just pulled the damper rods to drill them while leaving the forks assembled, without removing the seals or bushings. Seals were fine and so were the bushings until I dinged the lower tube bushings in dis-assembly/assembly. $25 + 2 days time penalty for not having replacement bushings ready before starting. I didn't put in new seals because mine were fine and I didn't want a change in seal stiction to be a variable in evaluating the effect of stiffer springs and tuning the emulators.

!Note: Keep fork tubes/legs in line - parallel when pulling apart or putting together.

I drilled my fork caps to use the air pressure method for seal removal in the future. Again, thanks for the tips.

psmcd screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 08:51 AM
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #75982
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
I A small diameter wood dowel rod was useful to push paper towels, then lint free rag through tubes and legs.
Park Tool used to offer a big bottle brush with a long handle that was perfect for this job.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #75983
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
At the very least I'd change the filter, they are like a $1 a piece and take all of a minute to change. I know I can always see fuel in mine so long as the petcock is on.
To be picky I think they are $3 or $4 but I have had some dissolve, probably from ethanol . Guess I need to find the $1 variety. Found some for $7 http://www.jpcycles.com/product/720-...FcU7MgodlBQAmA
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #75984
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I also rode the DL650 in many winters, I think it does that better than the DR. In all these miles on my Wee, I only had to replace a fuel pump (twice). Now I am debating rebuilding the motor or maybe get a new bike.

So far the DR has become my favorite choice of the two.
A good riding buddy did about 90K on his Wee Strom, lots of Mexico off road. His bike got very loose and sloppy feeling (when compared to brand New Wee Strom) But before he sold it he went though and replaced most all the bearings (steering head, swing arm, link and wheel) and refreshed suspension, front and rear (Wilbur shock). The bike was transformed, steered better, more stable, better handling. The motor and mechanicals never had any problems. AFAIK, his bike is still on the road and doing fine.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #75985
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
wtb dr650 chain guard

Hello,

Anyone have a plastic chain guard for sale?
Pm please.

Thanks,

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #75986
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Anyone have a plastic chain guard for sale?
Pm please.

Thanks,

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
I might have one. I'm pretty sure I do, it just depends on if I can find it or not. I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #75987
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 615
DR650 Fork Brace

Just listed a DR650 fork brace in the flea market. If anyone is thinking about buying one.

TravelGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #75988
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
To be picky I think they are $3 or $4 but I have had some dissolve, probably from ethanol . Guess I need to find the $1 variety. Found some for $7 http://www.jpcycles.com/product/720-...FcU7MgodlBQAmA
Ahh, been a while since I bought em. I see they're up to $2.99 at Rocky Mountain ATV.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #75989
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecks View Post
I might have one. I'm pretty sure I do, it just depends on if I can find it or not. I'll see if I can find it.

Hey frecks, while your looking for the chain guard and you come across a stock kickstand let me know I need one.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #75990
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Hey frecks, while your looking for the chain guard and you come across a stock kickstand let me know I need one.
Well, I know where the stock kickstand is. It's on the bike at the moment. My plan is to try to turn the kickstand I get from trophyhunter into an adjustable length kickstand with some DIY work. If that works, then I'll have a regular length kickstand for you.

tl;dr version: If you can wait until I receive the kickstand from trophyhunter, then I will probably have a kickstand for you.

frecks is offline   Reply With Quote