Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #211
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
Heading to Talimena on Thurs. Camping T/F/S and have room for 1 or 2 more riders/bikes in the truck.

I'd like to get in on this .... I'll be in touch with you Zach .

jordan
jglow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #212
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Heading to Talimena on Thurs. Camping T/F/S and have room for 1 or 2 more riders/bikes in the truck.

I need at least a week and usually 2 weeks notice to get away from my cube farm... I've got new components to go this weekend with Andrew, should be perfect traction if it rains tonight.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #213
z@ch OP
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
Yeah, this was a last-minute change from our Big Bend plans.

OK isn't much further than RR.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #214
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:

True-dat

....and there's no entry fee
Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #215
Droo
neet guy

Oddometer: 58
Quote:

For us it looks like it's a little more than twice as far as RR. RR is 80 miles for us, but Talihina State Park is 207 miles by google maps.

Is this address a good approximation of where you go?
Talihina State Park
50884 U.S. 271
Talihina, Oklahoma 74571

200 miles is pretty close for camping, but a little far for a day trip like what we'd be doing.

Edit: Split into two posts.

Droo screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 09:31 AM
Droo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #216
Droo
neet guy

...my attempt at a riding spots list. We should do a list of all our spots in the first post in this thread - can anyone start a sticky post? - if not maybe zach or child can use one of their early posts - they have some of the same info. Feel free to copy, edit, and repost. Or PM me or post for corrections and additions (I can nuke this one if someone starts another copy).

Red River Motorcycle Trails (aka RR, RRMT, Red River, Bulcher)
15393 North FM 373
Bulcher, TX 76252
(940) 995-2903
http://www.redrivermotorcycletrails.com
It's big with lots of variety and it's ever changing, you could ride all day and never do the same section twice (I don't think most riders can do the whole park in one day). Almost any kind of terrain you can imagine - from sandy flats to fields, forests, cliffs and everything in between (but no big, supper long uphills - there are uphills, but they're always over in less than a minute). Go with someone that knows the park or be careful because you can get lost or trapped in a ravine if you don't know the trail out. In the big ravines the tracks are misleading because routes become unpassible to due to erosion. You could spend 2 hours trying to find the right tracks (from time-to-time we run into riders that need to follow us to get out). Tons and tons of single track - easy to avoid the ATVs if you want to.

Cross Bar Ranch (aka Davis Mountain)
34.454483,-97.193642
Zellner Ranch Rd
Davis, OK 73030
http://www.crossbarranch.com/
I don't think there's any single track (or almost none) at Cross Bar Ranch - at least not on the two main loops.
Red Loop - long one-way loop shared with ATVs and some of the big, rocky, uphill climbs are too hard for beginners - it's the length of the ride with no bypass on very hard rocky uphills that would make it hard for a beginner. A beginner might be able to drag their bike up most of the hard uphills, but would be worn out soon and can't opt out or turn back (there are a few turn outs to shorten the red loop, but by the time you're at the big hill climbs you have no options but to do it). Also, has lots of water crossings when the creeks are flowing (i.e. when we're not in a drought). We finished the red loop in about 3 hrs. I really like the red loop.
Blue Loop - shorter one-way loop (also shared with ATVs) and crazy bumpy - fine for beginners. I think we did this in about 1.5 hrs. I don't like the blue loop - I would skip this next time. I might pickup some of the end sections of smooth, flowing dirt-trails in the fields.

Rocky Ridge
14467 N Fm 51
Decatur, TX 76234
http://www.rockyridgeranchtx.com/
Small enough that you can't really get lost and can do the whole park in a few hours - you'll do some of the same parts several times because they're fun and you'll do everything and need to go back to get a full day of riding. Lots of variety - smooth uphill climbs, rocky uphill climbs, rocky flats, fast smooth trails in fields, forest trails, etc. - but all of the sections are relatively small - you won't do anything for long unless you do it over and over. Easy for beginners to skip hard sections and take an easier route or wait for others to finish (hard sections are short and usually have an alternate route). Most of the park is shared with ATVs (not much single track) - it's gets pretty torn up after a rain by ATVs. There's are a few uphills that are bigger than anything at RRMT, but not by much, and they're not as big as the uphills at Cross Bar Ranch.

Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area
6284 Texas 155
Gilmer, TX 75644
http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/
It's a long loop for motorcycles and there are other trails for 4x4s but these can be very loose. This is the place to go if you love having a branch smack you in the face every 5 seconds! Good quality branches everywhere, watch out for the stiff ones.

Northwest OHV Park (aka Bridgeport)
2914 Hwy 101
Bridgeport, TX 76426
http://www.cityofbridgeport.net/index.aspx?nid=322
Requires off road sticker (OHV decal).

Trophy Club Park
2885 Trophy Park Drive
Trophy Club, Texas 76262
http://www.trophyclubpark.org/motocross
No single track - everything is shared by Motorcycles and ATVs. "ATV Trails" and "Motocross Track and Trail" requires off road sticker (OHV decal) - but you can buy it from them. The "ATV Trail" and "Motocross Trail" mentioned on the website are the same thing - this is a one-way loop - park closes when it rains or is under water, so check the website and call. Watch out for deep mud.

Talimena State Park
Hwy 271 N
Talihina, Oklahoma 74571
http://www.stateparks.com/talimena_s..._oklahoma.html

Crooked Creek Cycle Park
4730 T.K. Pkwy
Axtell, TX 76624
http://www.crookedcreekcyclepark.com/
Near Waco. Motorcycles and ATVs - call to make sure they're open. They do have single track.

Lake Murray State Park - Pear Orchard Motorcycle Area
34.114327,-97.049103
Lindsey Dr and Sumac Rd
Ardmore, OK 73401
http://www.stateparks.com/lake_murra..._oklahoma.html
Open to Motorcycles and ATVs.

Droo screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 08:50 AM
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #217
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

We can add Barnwell Mountain in East Texas...

It's a long loop for motorcycles and there are other trails for 4x4s but these can be very loose.

This is the place to go if you love having a branch smack you in the face every 5 seconds! Good quality branches everywhere, watch out for the stiff ones.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #218
z@ch OP
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
These are all listed in the 3rd post on this thread...
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #219
Droo
neet guy

Quote:
These are all listed in the 3rd post on this thread...
Yes I know (most of them are there, but not all of them), but I think I would be good to delicate some sort of list that we can maintain, update, and extend. I'd like more information about Talimena State Park for example. I'm just asking for something sticky and/or to make an updates to one of those lists.

You mention Bridgeport too, but more details would help.

I think it would be handy to see the names, aliases, website, address and/or gps location. Some description about what to expect. ...just a suggestion/request - not a big deal if you're not interested - maybe not the correct use of a forum like this... I don't know if it's a faux pas to update an old post like that.

Edit:
Looks like sticky posts are not an option in vBulletin (used by advrider) - I thought the thread originator might have the option - but from my googling it looks like the answer is "no".

Droo screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 03:01 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #220
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 845
So I'm liking the idea of all the riding areas on the first page. The post after child's by Zach could be edited to be a placeholder for future post with more riding areas as we find them. Just a thought

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #221
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Just a couple of pics...

From the Talihina, OK area this past weekend .

I buzzed up from Mckinney on my WR250R.

...and met up with John (Thunder Strike)

Zach (z@ch) and Carrie (GailCallsMeKarl)

I only got to ride with them for half a day on Saturday before we split off... I hope you guys got some more good riding in !

Jordan
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #222
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Last weekend 13/14April2013 OK

Adding on to what Jordan just wrote.
I couldn't have made the trip without Zach and Carrie, they drove me home and picked me up. I also stayed the night before the trip. I really appreciate their hospitality.

Camping on Fri, Sat, and Sun was a blast at the really nice campground. I also like where Jordan and his wife Nikie camped right by the river.
Saturday was inspiring to see Jordan ride all these places with his bike fully loaded. He went on trails and technical areas that were challenging to myself, being a new WR rider.
The next day Zach lead Carrie and I up and down some great trails and that really showed me the area.
Overall, this was the best vacation I have been on in years. I love my WR compared to my beefy KLR and thanks to everyone who recommended it!
Pics (screen shots from videos)
Jordan

J, Z, & C

Z & C River Crossing

Z & C Trail

Jordan Highway Vista

By the river
Thunder Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #223
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Cool Pics!! I recognize that river crossing... think i've been there on the BMW before...
Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #224
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Cool Pics!! I recognize that river crossing... think i've been there on the BMW before...
Right on! That BMW would have been great on this trip except for a few tight woods trails. (IDK maybe you could have made it.) I would love that bike for the fire roads and highway stuff we were doing. Lots of the dirt track stuff would have been okay too.

New Subject:
Where and When are we riding next weekend? This is a question to everyone.
I have decided I may even do some camping with my riding next weekend.
Thunder Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #225
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
I would like to ride / camp, but I'm stuck in Midland for work this week. I SHOULD be back in town Friday night, but I've been out of town a lot, so if I do anything it will have to be a day ride.

I think I'd prefer Sunday up at Bulcher if I had my way, but I can't promise I can make that even, so don't plan around me.

I was down in the Austin/San Antonio area for MotoGP last weekend... so I may not have been riding, but at least I was around motorcycles...

Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote