Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #2326
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
What's to become of the Terra in the future? Is this model going to be a round for a few years now that everything has changed for Husqvarna?

(my apologies if this has been covered ad-nauseum elsewhere)

Uhhhhhhh..........Seven.

That's my answer, and I'm sticking to it!

(Meaning nobody has a clue other than Stefan Pierer. There are tons of internet experts though.)

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 01:38 PM
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #2327
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Hey guys, I was looking at getting a 2013 Husky Strada, and was just wondering where you get 95 octane gas to satisfy the 12.3:1 CR?

What did Husky do to the 11.5:1 CR of BMW G650 engine to get the increased compression, shave the head or put a thinner head gasket on?

Thanks a lot! The Terra and Strada are for sale until June for $5500 and $6000: not bad (if I can get 95 octane gas in California!).

rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #2328
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
Hey guys, I was looking at getting a 2013 Husky Strada, and was just wondering where you get 95 octane gas to satisfy the 12.3:1 CR?

What did Husky do to the 11.5:1 CR of BMW G650 engine to get the increased compression, shave the head or put a thinner head gasket on?

Thanks a lot! The Terra and Strada are for sale until June for $5500 and $6000: not bad (if I can get 95 octane gas in California!).

You don't need 95 Octane. The manual states 95 RON/ROZ, which is the Euro measurement. We measure in AKI here in the States, and 95RON would be the equivalent of 91 AKI (Octane).

The engine is the same case, but higher performance internals, lighter piston, etc.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #2329
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,208
Why is the fact that Adv Grifter is defending the mighty DR and extolling it's many virtues...in the Husky Terra 650 thread...the ultimate in irony while at the same time completely not surprising...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #2330
rride
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You don't need 95 Octane. The manual states 95 RON/ROZ, which is the Euro measurement. We measure in AKI here in the States, and 95RON would be the equivalent of 91 AKI (Octane).

The engine is the same case, but higher performance internals, lighter piston, etc.
Thanks! That's great news. That is worth investigating then. I've got a BMW 97 F650 ST, and this sounds like an upgrade.

Here is the $60,000 question now, are these engine assembled in China then? The engine was a top down efi thump design and only scarred by BMW by the engine assembled in China (pirate parts mixed in and all). If not, then these should be a joy to own, and the engine parts would always be available at BMW no matter if Husky discontinued them or not.

THANKS!!

rride screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 03:47 PM
Old 04-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #2331
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,134
Quote:
Uhhhhhhh..........Seven.

That's my answer, and I'm sticking to it!

(Meaning nobody has a clue other than Stefan Pierer. There are tons of internet experts though.)
He he...ok, I'll go with that!

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #2332
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,859
Quote:
Those aren't the only two ways to skin that cat.... the TR uses a forged piston and it might have a bit more dome to it.
With the hotter cam / cam timing and ignition, I'd guess everything from the port shapes to the squish band has been massaged to work in concert.

Being built in China is not a scar in and of itself - factories in China (and Loncin is a big one) can build to any standard the customer is willing to pay for.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #2333
rride
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Those aren't the only two ways to skin that cat.... the TR uses a forged piston and it might have a bit more dome to it.
With the hotter cam / cam timing and ignition, I'd guess everything from the port shapes to the squish band has been massaged to work in concert.

Being built in China is not a scar in and of itself - factories in China (and Loncin is a big one) can build to any standard the customer is willing to pay for.
OK, what about the Strada brand in the future? No one seems to know squat including the HQ 30 miles from me (on line anyway).

I really do not have a good feel about the reliability as well. Is it a race bike or a racy dual purpose: is it reliable for 100K miles? And what is happening to the product line. When I thought it was mainly BMW engine, I thought it wouldn't matter. But now it looks like it is not built in China and none of the internal parts are stock BMW. Are you buying a obsolete vehicle with a complementary 10 years of stocked parts (or most of them anyway)?

It irks me the way the Euro elite motorcycle companies do keeping customers in the dark. Nothing I can do about it but not buy what looks to be a great enhancement of a good motorcycle (if you don't need to rebuild them monthly).

Thanks for your help. I'm jealous that you get to ride those bikes. Regards!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #2334
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:

More info on that? I was at the dealer yesterday in Escondido and they were marked quite a bit higher than that ($6900/7500 IIRC)

Matt
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #2335
rride
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
More info on that? I was at the dealer yesterday in Escondido and they were marked quite a bit higher than that ($6900/7500 IIRC)

Matt
That's almost retail for both $7000, $7500.

Here is sale of $1500 to $2500 off (maybe on an offroad bike):

http://www.husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/

Here is a dealer I checked the Strada at $6000 ($1500 off and assumed Terra was the same, but you can check it for yourself on local CA site):

http://www.mtnride.com/new_vehicle_d...05&pov=2994178

Another $1000 might have sealed it when I traded in my NH 750 $5K - $2K = $3k. But at $4K ($6K - $2K = $4K), I think I'd rather keep my economical NH 750 since it's paid for. After owning a BMW F650 ST since 97, the Strada really looks like the perfect bike after looking into it deeper (when prompted by the sale).

But Husky is just too quiet about what they doing (like when BMW sent the G650 engines to be assembled in China). Too bad for them and me, especially me

Offroad bikes are already dead in USA and dying in rest of world, but there is so much of rest of world I guess to still market to. But using a pareto analysis, the CIVILIZED world should be the focus of marketing and THAT is where offroad bikes are dying at specifically. Husky is going to put all their eggs in one basket and assure failure of the company they got such a good deal on. And after BMW invested $1B in street bike research. That's more than BMW has put in their own bikes in the last 30 years (reserved usually for just changing drives, fenders, and plastic on different models).

rride screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 09:01 AM
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #2336
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

Spot on!
I find it funny how so many BMW guys freaked when they first found out the 450's/X Challenge and current G650's (and now the 800) are built in Loncin,China or Taiwan (Kymco). Like you say, you get what you pay for.

BMW are building cars there, so are GM and Mercedes to some extent. Loncin are one of the largest producers of motorcycles in the world, if not THE largest. BMW brought over all the original F650 engineering drawings from Rotax and they've gone forward from there. I'm betting its a better motor in every way. How good do you want it? Nothing but $$$$$$$.
China is the new Japan.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #2337
NextAdventre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
The TR650 is a SUPERB motorcycle for the money. It's smooth, nimble, light, comfortable, can easily cruise on the highway with a windscreen, plays well in the dirt, and all for a price that is astounding. I don't give a hoot where it's built, BMW spent a lot of time and money on this bike and BMW isn't really known for making junk. I have owned a lot of bikes, many of which cost twice as much as this thing and most of them weren't half as much fun.

To Those hemming and hawing i urge you to quit fretting and go and RIDE one. I did a side by side comparisons with the BMW 650 and 700 and honestly wasn't really even considering the Husky at first--glad I tried it. After the ride there was no question--The Husky is just more FUN. Read the June issue of Motorcyclist. Cook talks about what a great bike it is in his editors notes that at first glance are about the DR650, and then it wins a "Singles Club" shoot out.

If this is the only year for the bike so what? You will have gotten a one year gem! There will be parts for the next 10 years minimum no matter what. With it being a mostly BMW machine it should be no problem keeping it up to snuff. Honestly, even at full MSRP I don't see how you can go wrong with either the Terra or the Strada.
NextAdventre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #2338
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Spot on!
I find it funny how so many BMW guys freaked when they first found out the 450's/X Challenge and current G650's (and now the 800) are built in Loncin,China or Taiwan (Kymco).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextAdventre View Post

If this is the only year for the bike so what? You will have gotten a one year gem!
And see how quickly people snatch up a one-year-run X-Challenge now? The sale quicker than anything out there. There are a lot of dudes who didn't buy one who are regretting it these days.

The X was the only BMW that ever really caught my eye. Had it not been for the TR650, I'd still be lusting after the X.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #2339
rride
Honda NH 750

Quote:
And see how quickly people snatch up a one-year-run X-Challenge now? The sale quicker than anything out there. There are a lot of dudes who didn't buy one who are regretting it these days.

The X was the only BMW that ever really caught my eye. Had it not been for the TR650, I'd still be lusting after the X.
HA HA, I weigh too much for an X bike from BMW. I'd need the frame reenforcer and it may not be enough. That was what was cool about the Strada, it had most of the nice options of an X bike and most of the appeal of a F650, but it also had a 400 lb rider/option/cargo limit which is excellent. It's the first bike since my F650 ST that I'd consider replacing it with: and I've had most all the big BMW's. It's especially the first efi bike I've liked, but now I find out all the parts internal to the outside casing are all custom.

This was dead in the water before it ever took off with "no tell" information of BMW. Who the hell knew what a jewel it was? KTM will never build a reliable enough bike for me, so I'm not going to wait for a monthly rebuild bike (exaggeration). I am just going to put a KTM 1997 Duke Del Orto carb on my F650, and then all the internal stuff is already planned out when I need to go in my engine. I can see where you guys are sitting, but at least you are enjoying maybe the finest bike ever made. BMW never did like the F650 since is stole customers away from their $20K dinosaurs. The strada is the first evolved bike from the F650 ST imo, and BMW blows $1B in research just to give it away!! I've got my Honda Nighthawk for commuting, and I'll fix my road racer F650 Rotax up soon: I've already got about $3K of parts waiting to go on it.

I don't doubt what you say, but I cannot be sure. At LEAST BMW services their bikes indefinitely to an extent. When Italians finish pooting a project bike out, its done soon after the wipe their can's. Then its a lifetime part time job finding parts. It's hard to ride a lot when you don't have parts when you need them. Husky throws their hands up because BMW is not backing them and KTM does not like Husky or BMW. No the X bike is here to stay, but unfortunately, the Strada is history. The Terra may have more of a chance since it is a dirt bike. But KTM will just replace the engine and give you good upgrade options. They will likely just blow a fart to the Strada owners and tell them to buy a BMW that never existed under the BMW brand
Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #2340
NextAdventre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:

This was dead in the water before it ever took off with "no tell" information of BMW. Who the hell knew what a jewel it was?

I don't doubt what you say, but I cannot be sure. At LEAST BMW services their bikes indefinitely to an extent. When Italians finish pooting a project bike out, its done soon after the wipe their can's. Then its a lifetime part time job finding parts. It's hard to ride a lot when you don't have parts when you need them. Husky throws their hands up because BMW is not backing them and KTM does not like Husky or BMW. No the X bike is here to stay, but unfortunately, the Strada is history. The Terra may have more of a chance since it is a dirt bike. But KTM will just replace the engine and give you good upgrade options. They will likely just blow a fart to the Strada owners and tell them to buy a BMW that never existed under the BMW brand
I think you need to look a little closer t the specs. The Terra and Strada are mechanically identical--so if Terra lives on so will the Strada. Tires, rims, plastics, and the fender are the only differences. There will be parts--And I don't think it's going to be an issue between dealers and the web. I suspect they will sell more TR650s thn all other Huskys combined this year. Pierer would be pretty crazy to kill it-- but he owns the bike and the means of production-- so it's his choice. I was worried about the parts issue at one time too, then I did some research, looked at the legalities, and decided I was worried about nothing.

Maybe you're right, and all us early adopters will be scrounging for parts in a year or two, but we will be having a heck of a time riding these bikes in the meantime
NextAdventre is offline   Reply With Quote