Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
arooni OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Questions on Argentina/Uruguay Temp Import & Bike Storage in Buenos Aires/Montevideo

Hi everyone.. I posted on a similar topic before but it was rambling about non consequential stuff. This should be more on topic and useful to other travelers.

Here are my questions for you

I've been reading different threads on the subject, but I'd like to ask the following questions I couldn't discover from my research.
1) It appears as though Argentina will give you up to a 8 month temporary import visa upon entry if requested... but that sometimes that they will not give you this visa, and give you a shorter length like 3-6 months. If I can't get the 8 month, it seems risky to try to store the bike in B.A. and fly out of there. Question: Can I rely on them to get me an 8 month temp import visa for my bike?
2) I have read that only if I have the 8 month temporary import for the bike, will I be allowed out of the country (the 3-4 month won't work). Is this true? Must I bring the temporary vehicle import to the airport to checkout of the country?
3) Various threads have indicated Uruguay will give me a 1 year temp import at the border with no hassle. Question: Do I have to pay for this visa, and do I still get the 1 year? Can I leave Uruguay while my bike is there? Do I need any documentation or paperwork at the airport when leaving? If they don't give me the 1 year visa, what amount are the border officials giving instead?
4) If you're me, and assuming you want to be home for 3-4 months, and 1 month of transit to get to B.A., do you leave your bike in Buenos Aires or do you leave it in Uruguay? (I've read Argentina has *very* stiff penalties for overstaying your temporary vehicle import, including high fees and impounding. Not sure I want to risk that.
5) IMPORTANT: If I happened to be flying back into Argentina or Uruguay, is it permitted to bring parts for my bike? I.e. two tires, brake pads, steering bearings, rear wheel bearings, spark plugs? Or will this stuff get confiscated at the border? This greatly affects my planning.
6) I've heard that you can bring back stuff like Apple Computers to Argentina and sell them to cover your airline ticket. Is this just rumors or is it true?

And finally, I I could *really* use your help
If you live in Buenos Aires or Montevideo or nearby, (or know someone who does) and have a safe place for me to park my bike for 3-4 months please get in touch via PM or email (david AT davidparkinson DOT com). This is the most important thing, as without a safe place to store my bike, I don't feel comfortable booking airline tickets.

Many thanks in advance. Hit Ushuaia, and now on my way back to the USA, thanks to my new chain/sprockets which I replaced in Punta Arenas today... thanks to a realllllly long lever arm, and a block of wood wedged in the rear wheel.

Follow my journey at http://www.davidparkinson.com

arooni screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 07:07 PM
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,552
You need to speak to Kevin, he and his dad can help you out with the details.

pm with email address sent.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Honduras
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
To ease your mind. Last week I had the same dilemma. This is what I know.
In the last 3 weeks I entered Argentina three times and it was the easiest crossings for bike and personal paper work.
The first time I entered was Paso de Jama from Chile and after presenting my paperwork by immigration ( somehow they put you in the immigration system together with the bike), after that the custom papers was a 5 minute issue and I asked them specific questions,they said, they always will give you by default 8 month even thou my immigration status gave me only 90 days to stay as a tourist. Entering the second time a week later from Paraguay, I did not have to do anything , everything was already in their computer and just issued me another temporal importation paper with the same date when I entered Paso de Jama.
The third time another week later in Fray de bentos, Uruguay, the Aduana procedure was similar and this time the officer gave me 8 months from that day, without me asking, instead of the same expiration day they gave me in Paso de Jama,
So If you ask you get 8 months from entry, no problem they said and you get it in any border place!
So I decided to store my bike in Mar del Plata and flew out 2 days later and no where questions where asked on the airport and they knew I entered with a bike a week before! Just by giving people only 90 days and bikes 8 month, you can draw the conclusion, you can leave the country and leaving the bike behind, Anyway it worked for us, we had 2 bikes entering Argentina and in my blog you can get more details
I will be returning the 1st of November 2013 to Buenos Aires, pick up the bikes and continue to Ushaia
Honduras C.A.
http://utilamoto.blogspot.com/
Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
The smaller more remote border stations into Argentina will only give you 90 days corresponding to your tourist visa on entry. Every large border crossing I've crossed so far seems to give you 8 months without asking for it.
For example the remote crossing near Natales only issued a 90 day temp import permit.
The only other place I encountered a bit of a hassle was the Chile Chico crossing when Argentine customs insisted on seeing proof of insurance. They said I could buy it in town and allowed me to go in. but No one sold insurance on the Argentine side, I had to re-enter Chile and buy the insurance in Chile Chico. So It's generally a good idea to carry some currently dated insurance papers.
Peruvian cops also were sticklers about insurance.
Iron Butt #35784

bush pilot screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 09:49 PM
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
arooni OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
I'd love to hear your perspective on #5... as I'm looking to buy tickets this week and the ability to bring in parts in is going to affect which airport I'm going to fly out of.

I.e., can I arrive to both the Buenos Aires and the Montevideo airport with a bunch of used parts and maybe even new tires (I would take off all the tags so they looked used).

Thanks in advance!
=David
Follow my journey at http://www.davidparkinson.com
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
For # 3, yes you can leave your bike in Uruguay for up to a year, you can leave the bike there while you fly out because the bike is not connected to you in your passport just hang onto the paper they give you when the bike arrives in country, there is a guy in Montevideo who will store it for you and his rates seem reasonable. I'll have to look him up if your interested. The same applies to Argentina, the bike isn't in your passport but you know that having been to Usuaia

My wife flew into Buenos Aires in January and brought me a bunch of parts for my vstrom but they were all inside her bags and she didn't declare them. For things that are obvious like tires you will probably get nailed duties but they won't confiscate them, so you might have to pay more to get them in. Uruguay will be the same. If you don't want to pay the duties head for Chile where the parts are much easier to get and cheaper

As for the computers I have heard stories about people doing it and being succesful

There is one thing about Buenos Aires, don't go to the currency exchange places to change money, there are people on the streets mostly in the Florida St market who will give you almost double the exchange rate, the last official rate I saw was 5.3 to the dollar but I got up to 8.5 on the black market, the more US$ you change the higher you can drive the rate . If your going to do this use your brains about who and where you sell your money, always keep your eyes open to what is happening around you
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote