Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
bumper1871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Mtl Biker; Going west on Autoroute 50, turn right at the Grenville exit and you are on Scotch road. There are many rides organised every year, for beginners and experts by the participants of the ridaventure.ca forum. I am not a member of MotoTrail aventure so I can't answer your question.

HAVE FUN
bumper1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Thanks for the link. Doesn't seem to be any English on that site at all though, and while I speak French fairly well I have a real hard time reading or writing it. Unfortunately for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmg View Post
Try www.ridaventure.ca
Lots of organized rides, lots of guys with GSs, and a graphic scale of difficulty for each ride.
Enjoy !
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

I found Scotch road on Google Maps now. Thanks for your help! I hadn't even known what area it was in, so searching for it wasn't working. But now that I zoomed in to the Grenville area and then searched for "chemin Scotch" it came up right away.

Have you ridden that road?

How does it compare with Chemin de la Rivière Rouge? I did that one a couple of weeks ago and while there were muddy and snow covered sections, I think it summer it would be a fairly decent (and easy) road. Is Scotch similar or a bit more rough?

It's probably still too early in the season to ride it (or Rivière Rouge for that matter) because of the snow and slippery-as-ice muddy roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumper1871 View Post
Mtl Biker; Going west on Autoroute 50, turn right at the Grenville exit and you are on Scotch road. There are many rides organised every year, for beginners and experts by the participants of the ridaventure.ca forum. I am not a member of MotoTrail aventure so I can't answer your question.

HAVE FUN
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
bumper1871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Chemin-de-la rivière-rouge is a public road, but it is too early in the season, especially this year. I would not drive a car on Scotch road and it seems there are now some beaver dams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzB8emrl_FY&feature=player_embedded

bumper1871 screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 07:33 AM
bumper1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Too early in the season? Tell me about it!!! I rode it over two weeks ago and without (yet) any real off-road experience, was scared stiff and screaming, "Oh shit, Oh Shit, OH SHIT!!!!" as I slid along the slippery-as-ice mud and snow covered road. I was way over my head.

But I LOVED IT!

If you're interested, here's a short trip report about it: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=43975

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumper1871 View Post
Chemin-de-la rivière-rouge is a public road, but it is too early in the season, especially this year. I would not drive a car on Scotch road and it seems there are now some beaver dams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzB8emrl_FY&feature=player_embedded
Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
tommythecat
Vive ut vivas

Oddometer: 245
Hey MTL,

I am from Montreal's South Shore. I can get a few Sundays off from family duty (2 young boys). Give me a shout out one of these days, who knows, I might be able to convince my wife to let me go play outside.

BTW, I also have an 800gs and took Moto Inter's offroad course; best 300$ you will have invested.

Have fun and then find a gravel flat spot and practice!

Cheers!

2010 F800GS
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #22
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey Tommy!

Nice to meet you! Sure, I'll be glad to ride with you if you can get a Sunday off. I work on Saturdays and unfortunately it's the busiest day of our week so taking it off is difficult. I'm always off Sundays and Mondays.

I'm glad you recommend Moto Inter's off-road course... I took one of their advanced road classes a few years ago and learned a lot and enjoyed myself. Raynald was the instructor and he's the one who'll be teaching me the off-road stuff.

Cheers!

Eldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommythecat View Post
Hey MTL,

I am from Montreal's South Shore. I can get a few Sundays off from family duty (2 young boys). Give me a shout out one of these days, who knows, I might be able to convince my wife to let me go play outside.

BTW, I also have an 800gs and took Moto Inter's offroad course; best 300$ you will have invested.

Have fun and then find a gravel flat spot and practice!

Cheers!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,234
Y' d'v'a faire frette en jubiter v'la deux semaines...

I still got snow on the ground here, my old bones don't ride for a couple of weeks.

If you want drit roads you could try "les ZEC".

Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #24
ericot
n00b

Oddometer: 2
abitibi guy

hey hey je savais pas quil y avait du mon de montreal et environ sur se site , si vous venez vers labitibi just let me know. lot of good trail ,
ericot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
KLR04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hey guys, if you're looking for easy dirt roads (no trails) with great views, consider the Eastern Townships, in particular the area East of Cowansville, South of highway 10, West of lake Memphremagog, and North of the border. If you use MapSource, zoom in on the area and notice how many unpaved roads there are in the region. This early in the season some of the roads are really slick and soft, but by mid-May all should be back to solid ground and graded. I like to take the 10 to Bromont and ride the dirt roads from there. Bromont is at exit 78, so I typically do 100 km from home to get there, 350 km riding in the area, then 100 km riding back home.

I'm organizing a navigation rally on June 1st 2013, the info is posted at http://www.mototrailaventure.ca/Trai...1/Default.aspx The ride is posted for members only, but we'll figure out something if guests are interested.

At this time the instructions are French only, but if people are interested I could prepare an English version.

I agree with the other guys regarding chemin Scotch, Rivière-Rouge, Papineau-Labelle park, also nice rides in the Tremblant park and réserve Mastigouche, LOTS of nice places to rides, some technical trails peppered throughout. If you become MTA member, you get rates for access to the federated quad trails, see http://www.fqmhr.qc.ca/english/index.asp for details.

mototrailaventure.ca and ridaventure.ca are French sites, but when you get to the rides, laguange is not an issue.

Marc aka KLR04 aka Marcus
KLR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
Tremblant1
Tremblant1

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Salut Tremblant!

Must be a great area up there for riding! Sure, I'd love to join you some day.

I'm trying to arrange a day of private off-road training through Moto International (BMW dealer). Supposedly they do a really good class. I've got years of riding experience but really none of it off-road (yet!).
Sorry didn't see the reply until now.

Will let you know when we are riding and yes off road course from moto inter is a good start to a long life of adventures.
Like I said.
PM me when you want to meet up. Just getting my bike on the road this week.
Tremblant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Salut Marc,

Funny but I just joined Moto Trail Aventure last week. I speak French fairly well but I just have a really hard time reading it and writing it.

I'd love to go on your June 1 ride but unfortunately I work on Saturdays - it's the busiest day of our week. My weekend is always Sunday and Monday. Maybe as we get closer to the date I might find a way to take the day off.

But what is a navigation rally? It might be fun.

Cheers!

Eldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR04 View Post
Hey guys, if you're looking for easy dirt roads (no trails) with great views, consider the Eastern Townships, in particular the area East of Cowansville, South of highway 10, West of lake Memphremagog, and North of the border. If you use MapSource, zoom in on the area and notice how many unpaved roads there are in the region. This early in the season some of the roads are really slick and soft, but by mid-May all should be back to solid ground and graded. I like to take the 10 to Bromont and ride the dirt roads from there. Bromont is at exit 78, so I typically do 100 km from home to get there, 350 km riding in the area, then 100 km riding back home.

I'm organizing a navigation rally on June 1st 2013, the info is posted at http://www.mototrailaventure.ca/Trai...1/Default.aspx The ride is posted for members only, but we'll figure out something if guests are interested.

At this time the instructions are French only, but if people are interested I could prepare an English version.

I agree with the other guys regarding chemin Scotch, Rivière-Rouge, Papineau-Labelle park, also nice rides in the Tremblant park and réserve Mastigouche, LOTS of nice places to rides, some technical trails peppered throughout. If you become MTA member, you get rates for access to the federated quad trails, see http://www.fqmhr.qc.ca/english/index.asp for details.

mototrailaventure.ca and ridaventure.ca are French sites, but when you get to the rides, laguange is not an issue.

Marc aka KLR04 aka Marcus
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
pangea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
heading your way

I will be in Montreal for at least 4 days early June - for the F1 race. I am wondering if I can get away with camping in the Royal parc - or adjacent cemetaries. I might have to use the KOA south of the city.

I plan on exploring some of the wilderness North of Montreal in the days before the race - on my bimmer 1200 gs - and I'll be well loaded for my 10-day adventure - so I would welcome any advice on great dirt roads or organized rides around that time.
pangea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
KLR04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Hello Pangea,
not going to happen in Mount Royal Park... KOA may be the easy choice, but we'll look into other possibilities, I'll keep you posted...

Hey Eldor,
the navigation rally is a ride of roughly 350 km, over 70% dirt roads, no trails. The rally is broken into 13 sections. The first section is for calibration so the instructions are given in a fashion similar to what you'd get in Mapquest or equivalent, that is you get distance from instruction to instruction, cumulative distance, street names and directions. As the day progresses, instructions give you less informaion so you have to figure out details, you may have to calculate, you may have to sort the instructions in the correct sequence, and so on. Since you are riding, navigating and observing, I make this not THAT difficult... There is an observation side to it, so in each section you have to find information, note it and take pictures (to confirm you saw it and did not 'borrow' the answer), such as a specific street address, the year a village was founded, etc. The answers can always be seen from the road (you may have to walk up to a plaque to read something). This is NOT a race, if you complete the sections too quickly, you will lose points. This is the third year I have organized a rally, people keep coming back... Note that the rally would be rescheduled if there was substantial rain, lots of those roads become quite slick when very wet.

Marc
KLR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #30
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Not a chance of camping in Mont Royal Park! Likewise the cemeteries up there. They lock them up at dusk and the security is VERY tight (I know as I wanted to do a photo shoot up there). The KOA would probably be your best bet, but you might also investigate some bed and breakfast places right in the city although they're likely to be booked early. Summer is a busy time here and the F1 race is only part of it... LOTS of festivals too!

As far as riding goes, I'm sure we'll be able to help you find some great roads as the time comes closer.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea View Post
I will be in Montreal for at least 4 days early June - for the F1 race. I am wondering if I can get away with camping in the Royal parc - or adjacent cemetaries. I might have to use the KOA south of the city.

I plan on exploring some of the wilderness North of Montreal in the days before the race - on my bimmer 1200 gs - and I'll be well loaded for my 10-day adventure - so I would welcome any advice on great dirt roads or organized rides around that time.