That is hard!

Gotta have a twig with your berries.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #183
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
Hes a hot head. Nothing compared to JT though. Cheats on his wife with one of his teammates ex, makes fun of Americans after 9/11, "racially abuses" Anton Ferdinand. The thing about racially abusing someone in England is it is WAY overblown. If you would say what either of them said in America, I doubt anyone would care. Im not a racist btw, but you can see how saying a few words over there wreaks havoc. The worst tempered player in the league is Rooney IMO. That dude kicks, stamps, dives, everything. Plus he cheated on his wife with some grandma prostitute! Nonetheless he is a role model in England because hes English and plays for United.
All sorts of wrong, I'm afraid. You'll find that Rooney's no hero in England. In fact, the papers are very harsh on him this season.

Suarez is by far the dirtiest bastard in English football. By far. Nobody disagrees. He's the top scorer in the Prem and yet when he made the shortlist for the Player of the Year this week, there was controversy.

And that was before he bit a player for the second time.

Liverpool fans like to go on and on about their club's pride and history. Typically, tonight they still refuse to condemn Suarez and don't want him sold.

Quote:
  • When he deliberately breaks someone's ankle or rapes a beauty queen, then maybe I'll not support him.
  • Was a mad moment, but f**k me if our fans can't stick with him who will? Fair enough if it was some bench warmer who we wanted out, but this is our top scorer, best player and one of our only world class players. Stick with him and rid out another bump on the Suarez rollercoaster.
  • Selling Suarez is f**king stupid we are in 7th place and he's are only truly world class player left if we sell him we are f**ked!
  • I don't really care. The idea we should sell him is reactionary sh*te. He's the best player at the club.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #184
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
no Im not defending him at all as I think what he did was completely childish and idiotic and I suspect he will be sold this summer. But I'm just saying that worse things than this have happened and players were still allowed to play in the league. Example: Eric Cantona's kung fu kick.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #185
wxwax
Excited Member

Yeah, more violent things have happened. We humans are a bit odd that way. A high, studs-up tackle that breaks a player's leg will draw a red card and 3 game suspension. Then everybody goes about their business again.

But a more or less harmless bite to the arm will draw a 7 game (or more) suspension and universal revulsion. I guess the tackle is seen as part of the game, whereas a bite isn't?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #186
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was talking about this kung fu kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRDzXV7IgiI
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #187
wxwax
Excited Member

Yeah, a lot of people have been mentioning it since the bite. No different to De Jong's boot to the chest of Xabi Alonso, for me. Howard Webb, in his infinite wisdom, saw little wrong with it.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #188
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, its a LITTLE different; as in it was on a fan after he got sent off.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #189
wxwax
Excited Member

Not surprisingly, Liverpool say they're sticking by Suarez.

"He's everything we'd want in a striker." Sounds like they've fined him 3 weeks wages.

Makes sense. Liverpool can't afford to lose him if they hope to challenge for a top-4 next season. But now they they've defended, for the 3rd time, a serial diver, biter and a racial abuser, I do wish they'd stop bleating on about Liverpool being "a club with incredible values and ethics." Clearly they're not.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #190
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats pretty judgmental, but I have to agree with them needing him. If it were anyone other than Suarez or Stevie G they would be gone. But they need those two players.
Hopefully we can bolster our squad in the summer and who knows, a good offer may come in for him. But other teams have stuck by players that have done worse than this.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #191
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Thats pretty judgmental, but I have to agree with them needing him. If it were anyone other than Suarez or Stevie G they would be gone. But they need those two players.
Hopefully we can bolster our squad in the summer and who knows, a good offer may come in for him. But other teams have stuck by players that have done worse than this.
Can't think of an example. Who did you have in mind? With Suarez, the problem is he's a seriously flawed man who repeatedly does stupid things. It's not a single incident, it's the accumulation. (If you say Terry, I'll remind you that the Bridge thing is not true. And he never bit anyone once, let alone twice. )

Suarez has three years to run on his contract. I think the "club of incredible values and ethics" will find itself embarrassed by him again. It seems inevitable. Again, I don't blame them for wanting to keep him. Most clubs would. I just have a problem with the hypocrisy of the club holding themselves up as beacons of morality when in fact they're no better than any other club.

You're a Liverpool fan? Don't forget about Raheem Sterling. If he can keep his head on straight he looks like he'll be a great player.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #192
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I know Liverpool has plenty of great youth players, but they dont play well consistently. As for players who have been as bad/worse than Suarez : Keane, Rooney, Terry, Pepe, Cantona to name a few
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #193
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
I know Liverpool has plenty of great youth players, but they dont play well consistently. As for players who have been as bad/worse than Suarez : Keane, Rooney, Terry, Pepe, Cantona to name a few
They're all bad boys, I grant you that. But none of them is in the class of Suarez. He's a serial offender.

Let's not forget that punch he threw at a Chilean player last international break. That dust-up is still being adjudicated and he may be facing an international ban as well as a domestic one.

The way this looks to be shaking out, he'll stay at Liverpool and possibly not play again this season.

I reckon all this nastiness may cut a few years off the end of his career,. When he's older and loses a step, clubs will have less incentive to tolerate his behavior.

ps If anyone in the United States was wondering on which channel Real Madrid-Dortmund is airing, it's on FX on Wednesday.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #194
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,606
Big bomb dropping time in German football.
Uli Hoehness, Grandmaster of Bayern Munich (and ironically owner of a sausage factory) did evade taxes. Quite a lot of them it seems, so he might even breath filtered air for a while.

Also, dropping as another bomb, Mario Götze will transfer to Bayern Munich in the summer for 37 million € (meeting his exit clause with Borussia Dortmund).

In another news, I hope they chose a bit bigger kids for today to lead the players on the field. Just to ridicule the little spaniards a bit.

I hope for a great game. Could end in a disaster for either side.
Bayern Munich - Barcelona; FCB vs FCB. Who will win this game of the decade. The loser may win or cede reign of european soccer.

Oh well, I haven't even drunken yet.
ThePikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #195
wxwax
Excited Member

All the good players in Germany seem to want to play for Bayern. That's rough on the rest of the league.

Today's match ought to be entertaining. I can see Barcelona conceding a few. I wonder how Bayern will defend?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: