User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
v8toilet OP
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Yank needs some route advice for a short loop in AB

A couple friends have informed me (all of them non-riders) that they are purchasing low cost DS bikes XRL's etc and want me to lead them on a little loop from our home the Flathead Valley up into Alberta and back home.

Great Guys about time you got some bikes. Problem is I don't know much in AB. I did a dirt road ride that paralleled 93 from Galloway Mill near Jaffray up past Whiteswan Lake. Unfortunately that is about it.

I'm not sure what we're looking for exists but ideally we'd ride part of the CDT on our side of the border and then cross at Eureka (Roosville). Flog the pavement until we can get back off on dirt head east and hopefully cross those rugged mountains below Fernie and come out Pincher Creek area and then find a way back south without encroaching in Waterton unless you have some dirt roads in the park, Glacier has a few) or just head home via the crossing in Waterton (Chief Mountain).

One guy in particular is not single track material so two track/primitive roads preferred.

Thanks in advance for the feedback and pardon my ignorance, but nothing beats local knowledge.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
tom pullings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I just moved to the Pincher Creek area so unfortunately I don't know the back country well enough to help. Wish I could. I'd love to link up with you guys for a bit though on your way through.
tom pullings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 760
I have ridden a lot in the area that you are looking for and you should not have to do much pavement north of Roosville if you don't want. I post my gps tracks on a site called Dualsportmaps.com all you need do is search the area that you are interested in riding and a bunch of suitable tracks will come up.

Once north of Rooseville there is a track that will jump off to the east around Grassmere and come up just east of Sparwood onto #3, Then at Blairmore you can head south and wind your way to just north of the Waterton Park gate. Most of the run is good fast gravel, very lightly traveled, and suitable for new riders(ridden at a safe level). Be sure to gas up at Coleman or Blairmore (Beside the Tim Hortons) before hitting Gravel. You will probably need to go into the Waterton town-site for fuel at that end, before heading to Chief Mountain.

http://dualsportmaps.com/

one of the tracks that will give you the Grassmere to Sparwood section is "My Divide 2013". The other is "Dutch Creek Rd. to Waterton Park". It will give you the Blairmore to Waterton townsite tracks. There was one tough (but short) section on that track that would be unrideable if the roads were wet. It is easily worked around on other roads in the area.

Google satellite views are your friend when planning.

If you want the tracks better get them off the Dual Sport Maps site before May, as it will be shutting down indefinitely. If you can't find them, PM me and I'll send you the gpx files for the area.

Lycan1 screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 06:34 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
v8toilet OP
Nothing to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I have ridden a lot in the area that you are looking for and you should not have to do much pavement north of Roosville if you don't want. I post my gps tracks on a site called Dualsportmaps.com all you need do is search the area that you are interested in riding and a bunch of suitable tracks will come up.

Once north of Rooseville there is a track that will jump off to the east around Grassmere and come up just east of Sparwood onto #3, Then at Blairmore you can head south and wind your way to just north of the Waterton Park gate. Most of the run is good fast gravel, very lightly traveled, and suitable for new riders(ridden at a safe level). Be sure to gas up at Coleman or Blairmore (Beside the Tim Hortons) before hitting Gravel. You will probably need to go into the Waterton town-site for fuel at that end, before heading to Chief Mountain.

http://dualsportmaps.com/

one of the tracks that will give you the Grassmere to Sparwood section is "My Divide 2013". The other is "Dutch Creek Rd. to Waterton Park". It will give you the Blairmore to Waterton townsite tracks. There was one tough (but short) section on that track that would be unrideable if the roads were wet. It is easily worked around on other roads in the area.

Google satellite views are your friend when planning.

If you want the tracks better get them off the Dual Sport Maps site before May, as it will be shutting down indefinitely. If you can't find them, PM me and I'll send you the gpx files for the area.
Most excellent Thank you sir for your assistance. If you come down to the Flathead I owe you beer or of you don't like beer something else then.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
You know BC is right beside Alberta right, we have corners that aren't just intersections in grid roads.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
v8toilet OP
Nothing to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
You know BC is right beside Alberta right, we have corners that aren't just intersections in grid roads.
Yes I love me some BC.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
Yes I love me some BC.
Amen, there's lots of cool places to see in AB too especially if you stay in the foothills.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Crowsnest Pass to Kananaskis, Spray Valley, to Canmore. Canmore to Banff to LakeLouise. In Lake Louise go to Chateau LakeLouise, and Morraine Lake. Then from Lake Louise up the Ice Field Parkway (93) to Jasper. Take 2 days and do that then return in about 6 hours from Jasper to Canmore.

You will not regret it. Go to the Ride Reports and see "not dead Yet". See videos 22 ish and you shall see what the Parkway has for views.

That is the best.

Or do all of it but before Lake Louise go up the93 south to Invermere bc and it is also very nice
Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
v8toilet OP
Nothing to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
Crowsnest Pass to Kananaskis, Spray Valley, to Canmore. Canmore to Banff to LakeLouise. In Lake Louise go to Chateau LakeLouise, and Morraine Lake. Then from Lake Louise up the Ice Field Parkway (93) to Jasper. Take 2 days and do that then return in about 6 hours from Jasper to Canmore.

You will not regret it. Go to the Ride Reports and see "not dead Yet". See videos 22 ish and you shall see what the Parkway has for views.

That is the best.

Or do all of it but before Lake Louise go up the93 south to Invermere bc and it is also very nice
I've been through Japer multiple times on the tarmac it's an easy day ride from Columbia Falls. I go at least once a year sometimes two or three. Not at all what I'm looking at for a bunch of guys on XR's. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,806
Eureka!

Lots of great riding around there on the US side.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
alberta bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
lycan 1 recommends .is a good route for your loop , you can't ride off road in waterton you have to go around and go home chief mountain .but there is lots of riding around crows nest pass and pincher creek the porcupine hills west castle valley and north and south of the crows nest pass high way #3 and the forestry trunk road .

Sabre
"The point is, you can survive. I did, and I'm no superhero. I'm just a man, full of faults and poison and sadness and hatred, full of joy and fears and pain and happiness, full of love for my fellow man and my kids and unfortunately not enough for myself, but I'm learning."
alberta bob is offline   Reply With Quote