Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
scapegoat OP
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,875
The factory seemingly never recommends full inflation. Take both Toyota 4x4's we have. Either door plate says 28 rear and 29 front. Both run 16's and if you run LT' s like BFG's or?? that's pretty damn low especially if your loaded or towing the 5K max. Every LT tire Ive bought indicated 36 to 80 in some cases. Wouldn't 28 psi cause overheating and eventual failure?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
So , do you apply this wisdom to your four wheeled vehicles as well ? And run the max pressure on the side of the tire ? You really don't know what you're talking about.
Do you think vehicle manufacturers put info in the owners manual for tires that aren't installed on the vehicle when delivered?

Do you think tire technology doesn't change/evolve during the life of a vehicle?

Where did I state anywhere in this thread how much air I put in tires? (Nice empty attack there though.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Ok , sorry , I guess I started on the wrong person. The fools running at max pressure on the tires sidewall don't know what they're talking about. The bikes tire pressure is determined by weight. That's why you get separate pressures front and rear and with or without passenger. As far as the truck tires , did you ever wonder how 30 pounds of air holds up 4,000 pounds of truck? The weight is spread by the volume of the tire. No , your larger tires do not require more pressure.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #34
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
450lbs bike + 210lbs driver = 660 lbs
660lbs/39psi ~= 17 squareinch.
Of course its not a fair equation for front/rear distribution*, and that for me is the rear pressure, but if you try to keep this virtual contact patch at 17si for grip and shape, heating and wear, the weight you intend to put should dictate the pressure. Simple. (all luggage can be weighted separately and assumed to go straight to rear wheel)

*The front pressure is a few psi below rear since we dont quite know the proportion, but you could find that easily rolling each wheel on a body scale while sitting on the bike (might want to try using front and read stands if they are secure enough).

dddd screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 03:24 PM
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
450lbs bike + 210lbs driver = 660 lbs
660lbs/39psi ~= 17 squareinch.
Of course its not a fair equation for front/rear distribution*, and that for me is the rear pressure, but if you try to keep this virtual contact patch at 17si for grip and shape, heating and wear, the weight you intend to put should dictate the pressure. Simple.

*The front pressure is a few psi below rear since we dont quite know the proportion, but you could find that easily rolling each wheel on a body scale while sitting on the bike (might want to try using front and read stands if they are secure enough).
You're on a relatively light sportbike , so you should be around 32 front and rear , assuming average ability. If you just cruise , about 36.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
I get about 20,000 miles.

I have those on my Kia in the winter
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #37
scapegoat OP
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Ok , sorry , I guess I started on the wrong person. The fools running at max pressure on the tires sidewall don't know what they're talking about. The bikes tire pressure is determined by weight. That's why you get separate pressures front and rear and with or without passenger. As far as the truck tires , did you ever wonder how 30 pounds of air holds up 4,000 pounds of truck? The weight is spread by the volume of the tire. No , your larger tires do not require more pressure.
Im fully aware a bigger tire does not require more pressure, I did not say that. Hows 30psi X 4 tires hold up a car..hell I figured it was magic or something. So you'd run P rated 3 plys the same as 6 ply LT cause Toyota said to. If not enlighten me here. 850 lbs of bike, 250 to 400 lbs of people and gear on a rear tire with a max load capacity of 805/50 psi. Show me a tire PSI to load curve to suggest safe PSI?
Metzeler ME 880 Tire Pressure?

I've been looking at the Metzeler tire site and noticed the page about tire pressures Note Recommended Tire Pressures

It looks like Metzeler is recommending higher air pressures than the motorcycle manufacturer may recommend. It looks like they're recommending air pressures of 38 - 40 psi for Solo and 40 - 42 psi for 2-up (Suzuki spec is 36psi for both Solo and 2-up). They're recommending 44 - 46 psi for rear tire for Solo and 46 - 48 psi for 2-up Light and 48 - 50 psi for 2-up Heavy (Suzuki spec 36 psi for Solo and 42 for 2-up).

Furthermore, for several tire sizes, including the 210/50R17, they recommend air pressure of 40 psi for Solo and 42 psi for 2-up.

Are you guys who are running Metzeler tires running them with the Metzeler recommended higher air pressures or the standard 36 / 42 ps

scapegoat screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 05:06 PM
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #38
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,189
How about another option - at the track I compare cold and hot tire pressures for determining optimum pressure. I'm looking for 10% increase. Too little increase means too much cold tire pressure. Too much increase means underinflated cold tire pressure.

I've never tried that experiment with a street tire, but it might be able to give you an indication of the sweet spot, based on the same principles - an over inflated tire doesn't reach optimum temperature, whereas an under inflated tire overheats.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #39
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
jeezus people. tires and air pressure are not complicated.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #40
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
jeezus people. tires and air pressure are not complicated.

for sure
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #41
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
How about another option - at the track I compare cold and hot tire pressures for determining optimum pressure. I'm looking for 10% increase. Too little increase means too much cold tire pressure. Too much increase means underinflated cold tire pressure.

I've never tried that experiment with a street tire, but it might be able to give you an indication of the sweet spot, based on the same principles - an over inflated tire doesn't reach optimum temperature, whereas an under inflated tire overheats.

THIS...and yes it works with street tires, well at least sport street tires, I haven't had a cruiser in so long those tires would belong in the Smithsonian.

I got 5,000 miles out of a set of Super Corsa SPs including 4-6 track days in there, there is no way you should be getting less mileage out of a touring tire.

Running it at max sidewall PSI encourages squaring because are effectively running the tire on a smaller part of its surface, running it to soft causes it to heat more and also encourages wear.

But yeah, more front brake and take it easy with slapping the throttle open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
I get about 20,000 miles.

You're gonna die dude

Tripped1 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 05:39 AM
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #42
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
The tire pressure on the sidewall is specifically for the maximum load the tire is capable of carrying. Any application. The pressures in the motorcycle owner's manual should apply. Just like the pressures listed on the car door sticker are for all tires.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #43
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
The tire pressure on the sidewall is specifically for the maximum load the tire is capable of carrying. Any application. The pressures in the motorcycle owner's manual should apply. Just like the pressures listed on the car door sticker are for all tires.
I don't use the listed pressures they are for the stock tires, the tires on my 675 at the moment are just barely removed DOT race tires, the cold pressures are 26/28 as a starting point, in fact on cold days I've run them a 23/24 to get them to 32psi hot where they are supposed to be.

Likewise my Speed Triple came with Bridgestones on it, its worm PR2s forever now. The pressures aren't analogousness.

What Bueller posted about the 10% rule is the best way to go about it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #44
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
THIS...and yes it works with street tires, well at least sport street tires, I haven't had a cruiser in so long those tires would belong in the Smithsonian.

I got 5,000 miles out of a set of Super Corsa SPs including 4-6 track days in there, there is no way you should be getting less mileage out of a touring tire.

Running it at max sidewall PSI encourages squaring because are effectively running the tire on a smaller part of its surface, running it to soft causes it to heat more and also encourages wear.

But yeah, more front brake and take it easy with slapping the throttle open.

You're gonna die dude
This is the Dark Side, isn't it. I heard about this on the NGW list.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #45
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
This is the Dark Side, isn't it. I heard about this on the NGW list.
Why yes it is, and that was a "perfect line" joke.

On big bikes it works fine, I mean big, Rocket IIIs, Oldwings , valks and such. There are many who tense up and start twitching at the very idea though,