Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
StepaS88 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
990 Adventure oil leak right side

Hello!

After a long winter with almost no riding I took my bike to the workshop for some maintenance on my front suspensions. I rode 100km and I noticed some oil leaking on the right side of my bike.

To be more specific (I don`t have any photos yet) the oil leak looks like coming from the oil dip stick (or somewhere below that) and it was just a few drops that with the air flow were spreading on the right fuel tank... The ammount of oil was really small. My engineer changed the o-ring on the dip stick but that oil leaking seems to still exist.
There is no oil drops on the ground. There is no visible oil dirt from the front of the bike on the oil tank. Just when I put my hand in that "open place" of the right gas tank to touch the oil tank I see that it`s covered with a small ammount of oil. Yet I haven`t find any free time to take off that right tank and clean the hole area. I just seek for any ideas... or if anyone else has experienced tha same "problem" with me.

P.S sorry for my english but it`s not my native language.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 513
Is oil accumulating on the rear face of the oil cooler and not on top around the dip-stick? If so you may have a hairline crack in the core.

It was suggested in these forums by another inmate to add a small amount of ultraviolet dye to the oil and go over the engine with a black light. That would pin-point even the smallest leak.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
StepaS88 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Is oil accumulating on the rear face of the oil cooler and not on top around the dip-stick? If so you may have a hairline crack in the core.

It was suggested in these forums by another inmate to add a small amount of ultraviolet dye to the oil and go over the engine with a black light. That would pin-point even the smallest leak.
The oil is accumulating on the small circle and the area that it`s spreaded is all over the bigger circle. The oil ends up in the small circle due to the air flow while driving.

On lower speeds I can not spot any oil leak. Unfortunatelly as I said to my previous post I don`t have time to take off the right gas tank in order to inspect that oil leaking.

P.S On this photo I had already wiped out the oil marks. I just upload it in order to make it easier to understand...
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
StepaS88 OP
n00b

anyone else got an idea?