Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #18466
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
you notice the 244's being fairly noisy? I have one on the back of my KLR, it was a freebie. I don't mind the noise as I listen to music anyway, and it does behave well on road and off. But it just seems louder than any tire I ever used.
They don't seem noisy to me? Of course, I took off a set of XCMH's, but I didn't think they were noisy either.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #18467
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
Threw on a set of Shinko 244's Saturday and rode 170 miles of pavement with a JT 14t front sprocket that has worn/hooked WAY too soon. Changed the front sprocket yesterday to a 15t Sunstar and put exactly 50 miles on it. I like the way the bike runs with the 15. The 244's stick well and are predictable in the dry stuff. On pavement, they are fantastic. PSI is set to 22r/25f.

I ordered a set of EBC sintered front brake pads. I kinda think the lining on the new pads is thin. How do they hold up? I haven't installed them yet since the OEM fronts have what appears to be plenty of lining left.
Just curious. Why run such high pressures in them? I am asking since I have the Kenda version and have not found the optimum pressure. I have been running mine at stock pressures. Is this not the way to go? BTW, in the dirt I've been running 19 in the rear and 18 up front and it seems great.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #18468
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
They don't seem noisy to me? Of course, I took off a set of XCMH's, but I didn't think they were noisy either.
I have the 244's on my DRZ and they do make some noise, but not too loud. I wear earplugs anyway. I have 1700 miles on them and they have about 1/8" tread left on them.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #18469
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Looking for a Stator side cover, my buddy's DRZ has been dropped on that side once too many times, it has been fixed with JB weld twice allready.

No case savers, i know i told him about them, hes seen them on my bike, but was too cheap to buy the set

We went off roading today, and the bike took a little dirt nap, when we got home there was oil seeping out of it, i do not think we can JB weld it again, if anyone has one for sale, or know where to find one of those, please let me know, thanks.
Hey Ron, I had a rock put a similar dent hole in the front of that same cover. I applied the JB Kwik to the outside of the hole and it's held up well. I felt that putting it on the inside is asking for trouble.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #18470
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
Just curious. Why run such high pressures in them? I am asking since I have the Kenda version and have not found the optimum pressure. I have been running mine at stock pressures. Is this not the way to go? BTW, in the dirt I've been running 19 in the rear and 18 up front and it seems great.
I don't feel like that is high pressure. If I were to go offroad or just gravel, I'd drop them down to 12 psi. But for pavement, I'm good with what I'm running.

What is stock pressure? I had no idea there was such a thing.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #18471
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Threw on a set of Shinko 244's Saturday and rode 170 miles of pavement with a JT 14t front sprocket that has worn/hooked WAY too soon. Changed the front sprocket yesterday to a 15t Sunstar and put exactly 50 miles on it. I like the way the bike runs with the 15. The 244's stick well and are predictable in the dry stuff. On pavement, they are fantastic. PSI is set to 22r/25f.

I ordered a set of EBC sintered front brake pads. I kinda think the lining on the new pads is thin. How do they hold up? I haven't installed them yet since the OEM fronts have what appears to be plenty of lining left.
Im also running the 244's, ran em (front and rear), for the past 9+K miles, on my second set now, when these wear out too, ill be ordering my third set, rear is great at 50/50, front is not the best tire in the dirt, but it does well and is fantastic on the street.

Rear will last about 4K miles, front 5-6K miles, not bad for $90 dollars a set shipped.

When new

For a well 50/50 type riding, these are highly recommeded, they also handle 95+ mph too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
Hey Ron, I had a rock put a similar dent hole in the front of that same cover. I applied the JB Kwik to the outside of the hole and it's held up well. I felt that putting it on the inside is asking for trouble.
Thanks, yeah i also feel the same way about applying JB weld on the inside, he will most likely order a new cover, im telling him i wont put it on for him unless he also gets a set of TT case savers.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #18472
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,813
Quote:

I ordered a set of EBC sintered front brake pads. I kinda think the lining on the new pads is thin. How do they hold up? .
Not good, to my experiences. I had them twice on my DR650, the first time I thought maybe it was a bad set or something. I went back to oem.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #18473
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 133
I've been using tusk brake pads. For the price I've been happy with them (half the price of EBC pads) I usually get around 5,000 miles.
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #18474
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 256
Yikes! that left a mark

[QUOTE=150ron;21239978]Looking for a Stator side cover, my buddy's DRZ has been dropped on that side once too many times, it has been fixed with JB weld twice allready.

No case savers, i know i told him about them, hes seen them on my bike, but was too cheap to buy the set

Beam me up Scotty!

I am new to the DRZ.
and I know I will need the case savers.

Please link me to the best product/source please; is there a 'brand' to stay away from?

I have been to the TT site; where are they hiding the case savers?

Thanks.

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America

revmaaatin screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 12:49 PM
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #18475
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
[QUOTE=revmaaatin;21244003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Looking for a Stator side cover, my buddy's DRZ has been dropped on that side once too many times, it has been fixed with JB weld twice allready.

Beam me up Scotty!

I am new to the DRZ.
and I know I will need the case savers.

Please link me to the best product/source please; is there a 'brand' to stay away from?

Thanks.
Here you go, thats the set i have on my bike

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Thu...006766599.html
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #18476
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 256
That reply was certainly fast enough

Here you go, thats the set i have on my bike

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Thu...006766599.html[/QUOTE]

SNIP

Onefifty!
Well that was certainly fast!
I'll order them RIGHT NOW.

now, go back to work...(grin)
Me? Monday is my day off!

m.

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #18477
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
I have the 244's on my DRZ and they do make some noise, but not too loud. I wear earplugs anyway. I have 1700 miles on them and they have about 1/8" tread left on them.
What sizes of the 244's are you running?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #18478
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
What sizes of the 244's are you running?
5.10X18 rear and 3.10x21 front for me.

Love these tires.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #18479
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
5.10X18 rear and 3.10x21 front for me.

Love these tires.
The KLX shop manual says 110/100x18 and 80/100x21. The local parts guy tells me he can't get the Shinko 244's in my size.
Don't ask to convert those sizes. Last time I tried my head exploded.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #18480
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
The KLX shop manual says 110/100x18 and 80/100x21. The local parts guy tells me he can't get the Shinko 244's in my size.
Don't ask to convert those sizes. Last time I tried my head exploded.
I came up with those sizes after quite a bit of researching, and I've had confirmation from a few guys in this thread.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote