Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #151
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Crutchlow will be offered a factory ride next year... to replace Pedrosa...
I will be truly shocked if that happens. I think he might be offered a factory bike and a Yamaha contract at Tech 3.

Early last week Marquez tweeted a photo of himself heading out for a mountain bike ride. Crutchlow tweeted back, "hope you get lost in the woods for a week."
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #152
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 620
Quote:

Bradl also needs to step it up. Sounds like they're expecting him to be a little higher up there. Beating Rossi is a step forward, but he needs to beat Crutchlow and challenge Lorenzo on the Honda tracks.
If you can't beat a satellite Yam on a Honda track on a works RCV then you need to re-evaluate.
Bautista is doing a better job on the Showa/Nissin testbike, what would he be able to do on the Ohlins/Brembo that Herr Bradl is riding?
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #153
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
If you can't beat a satellite Yam on a Honda track on a works RCV then you need to re-evaluate.
Bautista is doing a better job on the Showa/Nissin testbike, what would he be able to do on the Ohlins/Brembo that Herr Bradl is riding?
Bradl has Nissin brakes. And I think he has a contract through 2014, too.

mdubya screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 08:43 AM
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #154
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommin View Post
I sat in T15 for every session. At the end of each one Lorenzo did a practice start. Bogged down on every one of them. Definitely had an issue getting going.
Could some of that be down to gearing? Lots of 1st gear on the COTA track; maybe he'd gone for a particularly high 1st???
Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #155
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Oh, I forgot he´s on Ben´s ex-bike, so any technical malfunction, no matter how bizarre, is just business as usual!

I think it we could say he has Ben's position on the team. I doubt it is the actual bike.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #156
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
I think it we could say he has Ben's position on the team. I doubt it is the actual bike.
Well the #2 Factory Yamaha bike still seems to be plaqued by some really strange technical troubles, that never ever appear on the #1 bike, no?

Broken disc...which year was the last one in MotoGP before this?? Not suggesting anything, just wondering WTF.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #157
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,405
Quote:

Bradl also needs to step it up. Sounds like they're expecting him to be a little higher up there. Beating Rossi is a step forward, but he needs to beat Crutchlow and challenge Lorenzo on the Honda tracks.
From our shallow perspective of 2 races in, it's a good as time as any to look at 2014.

Bradl and Bautista have two year deals, Bradl directly with Honda and its possible that Bautista's is as well. However, what they will be riding in 2014 is a matter of conjecture. There are rumors that LCR will get 2 "factory" bikes next year, which would leave Gresini with the option of a Honda proddy RC or CRT. Bautista is basically a Showa development rider, so I'm betting they'll get a proddy machine. Or, both teams could get one of each.

Yamaha will have to do something to satisfy Crutchlow, most likely giving Tech 3 a Factory bike. However, the Japanese don't especially care for someone who airs dirty laundry in public, even when they are fast. Crutchlow also made no friends at Ducati last year when he allegedly booted the CEO out of his motorhome when told he wasn't going to be offered a contract. Smith, while not stinking up the joint yet, will have to step up his game to keep someone like one of the Espargaro brothers off that bike.

Dovisioso looks to be making something like silk out of the sow's ear GP12 13, and he has a deal for next year. Hayden, no matter how many units he moves in the US market, needs to start being competitive with his team mate to keep a seat. Again, one of the Espargaro brothers looks like a candidate. Much as I hate to say it, Ben Spies looks like he's just picking up a paycheck. Results, not excuses -- no matter how good they are, get a rider a contract extension.

The remaining factor for 2014 is hardware. With leased Yamaha engines, a proddy Honda and the possible re-entry of Suzuki, the back of the field will change dramatically. More competitive bikes will attract more competitive riders.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #158
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Well the #2 Factory Yamaha bike still seems to be plaqued by some really strange technical troubles, that never ever appear on the #1 bike, no?

Broken disc...which year was the last one in MotoGP before this?? Not suggesting anything, just wondering WTF.
I would bet Jorge's botched start had to do with something technical. Someone earlier said when he was practicing his starts they saw he was bogging down, or his gearing was to high. That guy usually does not make mistakes

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #159
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,347
in Moto2, Mika Kallio (9th on the grid), took podium and beat his teammate, poleman Redding quite comfortably. Even 2nd was up for grabs, but he made a mistake in the last bend (after being t-boned by Aegerter just a few corners before, that probably didn't help, actually Kallio did very well to stay on track) and so Rabat went second.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #160
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Yup. And the only reason why Pedrosa has a job with Repsol is because Stoner quit.

Crutchlow will be offered a factory ride next year. Probably to replace Pedrosa if he doesn't step it up and beat Marquez.
Honda usually signs their riders around summer, and at that time Pedrosa was beating Stoner in the standings -- would've been interesting to see who they'd pick, though sure, a two-time WC is going to have more appeal than a guy who's almost there repeatedly.

Pedrosa has a two year contract and is there through 2014 -- keep up.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #161
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
From our shallow perspective of 2 races in, it's a good as time as any to look at 2014.

Bradl and Bautista have two year deals, Bradl directly with Honda and its possible that Bautista's is as well. However, what they will be riding in 2014 is a matter of conjecture. There are rumors that LCR will get 2 "factory" bikes next year, which would leave Gresini with the option of a Honda proddy RC or CRT. Bautista is basically a Showa development rider, so I'm betting they'll get a proddy machine. Or, both teams could get one of each.

Yamaha will have to do something to satisfy Crutchlow, most likely giving Tech 3 a Factory bike. However, the Japanese don't especially care for someone who airs dirty laundry in public, even when they are fast. Crutchlow also made no friends at Ducati last year when he allegedly booted the CEO out of his motorhome when told he wasn't going to be offered a contract. Smith, while not stinking up the joint yet, will have to step up his game to keep someone like one of the Espargaro brothers off that bike.

Dovisioso looks to be making something like silk out of the sow's ear GP12 13, and he has a deal for next year. Hayden, no matter how many units he moves in the US market, needs to start being competitive with his team mate to keep a seat. Again, one of the Espargaro brothers looks like a candidate. Much as I hate to say it, Ben Spies looks like he's just picking up a paycheck. Results, not excuses -- no matter how good they are, get a rider a contract extension.

The remaining factor for 2014 is hardware. With leased Yamaha engines, a proddy Honda and the possible re-entry of Suzuki, the back of the field will change dramatically. More competitive bikes will attract more competitive riders.
Smith is on a two-year deal at Tech 3, so he's safe. Poncharal denied outright to me that he is talking to Espargaro. "I will never, ever sign a contract with Pol Espargaro," he said. When I said what if Espargaro signed with Yamaha, and Yamaha put him in Tech 3, he went quiet.

I don't believe Crutchlow will stay at Tech 3, he'll either go to Ducati or he'll go to Suzuki.

I don't believe LCR could muster the cash to run 2 RC213Vs. I think the plan is more likely to be 1 RC213V and one proddy bike, maybe with a Japanese or Asian rider.

The biggest problem I see is US riders in the series. Hayden is on a slow, downward spiral; Spies, well, we need to see how much is injury, but last year, people close to him said his head just went, buckled under the pressure. He should have gone back to WSBK and cleaned up, rebuilt his confidence, but money kept him in MotoGP. And CEII? Well, he really needs to become a commentator. Would be great for the series.

Who would take their place? There are no young Americans coming through the ranks, and no feeder series to produce them, the way there is in other countries. There are talented American riders, but no one anywhere near a Grand Prix team.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #162
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Yup. And the only reason why Pedrosa has a job with Repsol is because Stoner quit.

lol. "Dani, we appreciate you finished 2nd in the championship and owned the 2nd half of the season but we are going to let you go." Bitch, please......
If Stoner didn't retire MM would be at Gresini. HRC said straight up they didn't want two spanish riders after Stoner announced he was quitting. They had to recalculate once they saw what their options were.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #163
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Poncharal denied outright to me that he is talking to Espargaro. "I will never, ever sign a contract with Pol Espargaro," he said..
Why the hate for Pol? Because he doesn't like his boots?
Any word on how his foot is? I've never seen a boot get ripped off like that. Geezus.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #164
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Smith is on a two-year deal at Tech 3, so he's safe. Poncharal denied outright to me that he is talking to Espargaro. "I will never, ever sign a contract with Pol Espargaro," he said. When I said what if Espargaro signed with Yamaha, and Yamaha put him in Tech 3, he went quiet.

Any idea why the negativity towards Pol Esp,? Seems like the best prospect in moto2 now. Certainly better than B. Smith. He gave MM all he could handle a couple of times last year. Him and Redding were the only guys I saw not backing down from MM.

And WTF, how does the guy get his boot ripped off and not suffer a foot/ankle injury?

And to your point about Americans I couldn't agree more and along those lines I always feel like Hayden is going to end up at Tech3 because of his value the series and the american crowd and I still think he is reasonably competitive.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #165
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Why the hate for Pol? Because he doesn't like his boots?
Any word on how his foot is? I've never seen a boot get ripped off like that. Geezus.
Guess we were thinking along the same lines. Pol said his foot was fine.