Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #8341
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmnz View Post
Well jumping it off the car finally did it. Had to start the car to get volts above 13V. And it took a bit of throttle I suppose because it was flooded from previous failed attempts. First try jumping off the car battery failed because I had a bad earth connection on the bike end of the jumper cable. The battery box is apparently not well earthed. So I got a good earth on the exhaust but it still wouldn't start until the car's alternator was helping to boost volts.

BTW once it started the battery voltage was around 14.5V so the alternator and RR are good.

My strongest suspect is the battery. I suspect this because what else would degrade in the ignition system with the bike just sitting? I can't see it being a coil or HT lead or earthing problem because those kinds of things should have shown up earlier as intermittent starting/running problems.

So the bad news is it seems to me this bike needs a good battery capable of holding over 12V (maybe more) under starting load. :( So I need a new battery then I'll have to wire up a plug/socket for a battery tender because it's too much of a pain to lift the seat and battery bracket every time I park it. Probably need regular battery replacement to be sure of starting when I go on trips away from home.
Well, my battery took a shit today. Stopped and started it a dozen times throughout the morning. First time we stopped after lunch I hit the starter button and nothing, not a grunt, not a click, NADA. The headlight was on and SEEMED OK, but I hit the horn and just croaked.

Luckily, I happened to be stopped in front of a house and the owner offered up his battery charger. I tossed it on for 15 minutes and then tried the starter and boom, got it running. Made a bee line to the house. Got in the garage and killed it, then hit the starter and nothing again. Guess I have a reason to pick up a new Shorai or Antigravity battery.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #8342
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Where are the pics of this bike loaded with gear? Am I in the wrong spot I am looking for some ideas on what type bags/luggage go on them. Could someone point me in the right direction? Talking about the 690 enduro R
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #8343
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Where are the pics of this bike loaded with gear? Am I in the wrong spot I am looking for some ideas on what type bags/luggage go on them. Could someone point me in the right direction? Talking about the 690 enduro R
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=luggage

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #8344
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #8345
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,289
heres a quick shot of mine as loaded for vacation this summer, pretty close to sorted out.

touratech racks, wolfman expedition bags and enduro tankbag, custom made bottle holders for my 1.5 liter fuel bottles, a pair of cheap molle pouches from a gun case. the pack behind the saddle is my tent. Im hoping to do 3000 miles or so over 7 days, with a BMW rally in the middle.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #8346
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,548
No skid plate?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #8347
davidmnz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
heres a quick shot of mine as loaded for vacation this summer, pretty close to sorted out.

touratech racks, wolfman expedition bags and enduro tankbag, custom made bottle holders for my 1.5 liter fuel bottles, a pair of cheap molle pouches from a gun case. the pack behind the saddle is my tent. Im hoping to do 3000 miles or so over 7 days, with a BMW rally in the middle.
Nice setup. I'll probably end up with something similar except I will go for Wolfman racks. BTW why the centre stand?

Looks like you have a Kouba link fitted but you haven't raised the forks. I have a Kouba link on my bike and it was pretty easy to raise the forks about 15 mm. Tiny bit lower seat height and no detrimental effect on handling. If anything it's a bit better with the forks raised.
davidmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #8348
davidmnz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Aargh! What next?

I really shouldn't have played with the injector. I now have fuel leaking from a torn o-ring. The one that seals the nozzle to the housing. Be warned. Don't trigger the injector unless you have some way to stop the nozzle getting blown out of the housing by fuel pressure.

Good news is that this o-ring is a common one used in various KTMs and not just in injectors so it gets consumed fairly regularly and is in stock here.
davidmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #8349
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Lightfighter are you still around? Would you mind me picking your brain for a few min about your bike?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #8350
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post

Looks pretty sweet. My setup is very similar.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #8351
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Looks like you have a Kouba link fitted but you haven't raised the forks. I have a Kouba link on my bike and it was pretty easy to raise the forks about 15 mm. Tiny bit lower seat height and no detrimental effect on handling. If anything it's a bit better with the forks raised.
Could you expand on this lowering business? I'm average height (6'1") but my 2010 690 is difficult to get on and off. I have to climb it like a horse. So, how much is it lowered, and does it affect the handling or ability to go over bumps? I might need to do this if there's no real penalty. If there's already a thread about all this, please point me to it.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #8352
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
....I hit the starter button and nothing, not a grunt, not a click, NADA. The headlight was on and SEEMED OK, .............
OK, keep this quiet, but something similar happened to me after I had been topping up the front brake reservoir. Turned the ignition, headlight on but nothing else! F**K. Took the seat off, checked the fuses, twiddled all the wires I could see, sprayed everything with WD40 and put the battery on charge over night and read up on how to use a multi meter. Next day after no result with the charged battery, I stood there looking at the bike and just happened to glance at the kill switch - yes , you've guessed it, i'd knocked the thing off when I was farting about with the brake reservoir

For God's sake don't tell anyone.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #8353
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
No skid plate?
YET... I'm not quite done yet

Quote:
Nice setup. I'll probably end up with something similar except I will go for Wolfman racks. BTW why the centre stand?

Centerstands make loading and unloading a bike on the road a little easier, and make it easier to tinker in the garage, never mind change a tire on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Could you expand on this lowering business? I'm average height (6'1") but my 2010 690 is difficult to get on and off. I have to climb it like a horse. So, how much is it lowered, and does it affect the handling or ability to go over bumps? I might need to do this if there's no real penalty. If there's already a thread about all this, please point me to it.
i lowered the rear 1 inch, and left the front at full height. while i MAY drop it a little, i like the steering slowed down a bit as it is.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #8354
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
have ordered a new one to check.
If you wind up with redundant working instrument clusters, let me know. I need one - white powder from hell, and flickering LCDs so bad I never know how much too fast I'm going.
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #8355
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
If you wind up with redundant working instrument clusters, let me know. I need one - white powder from hell, and flickering LCDs so bad I never know how much too fast I'm going.
Do you have the 690r instrument cluster? It is the little one, not the one that came on the 2008 model. Have not heard of any white powder problems with the 2009 690r clusters.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote