User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Hungry Valley Overnight.

So this weekend we went back to Hungry Valley outside of LA. It was interesting, to say the least.

We planned to go over to a friends house to change his tires to more knobbish friday morning. He got called into work so we decided to leave without him. We headed out for the 100 mile ride. Got to the park and decided to do some offroading with all of our gear on the bike.

It wasnt very fun. I can't stand up stand up comfortably. The windscreen prevents me from rotating the handlebars forward and gets in the way if I go up a hill. I decided to scratch off the serious off road riding in Washington and Colorado for our Alaska trip.

So we then go and set up camp in Circle Canyon Campground.

We go for a short ride and then head back to cook some lunch.

We then head out on another ride.

This is my new dirt bike gear.

We had a couple crashes/drops on the trip. This one was a steep uphill and we thought it was going to keep going up but it didnt and had to make a sharp right down a hill. Natalie was a bit surprised by it.

I was going up a steep hill and made the mistake of going up in 2nd (using highway gearing). I started to sputter so I downshifted to first. This threw off my balance completely and I went out of control before coming to a stop here.

We got back to camp and Natalie managed to tip the bike over the kickstand. Her bike is lowered but the kickstand is still the stock height so this is actually hard to do.

Started drinking beers with this as our view.

Our friends showed up. These are the ones who actually have jobs.
They set up camp and we changed our the tires of the 800gs.

The bike count is
3 1st gen KLR650s
1 Tiger 800xc
1 800gs

We drank and then went to sleep. Well, I didnt sleep at all. 50mph gusts, sand, and sand ending up in the sleeping bag made me probably get 1 hour of sleep. I got out of the tent at dawn a bit pissed off and tired. We decided to ride into town because it was to windy to use our stoves to make coffee/oatmeal. We ended up at Denny's.

After some food, coffee and the ride back to camp, we were all rejuvenated.

Went on a nice look around Hungry Valley.

We were going to stay another night, but decided to head back home around 5pm. Got a good nights sleep that night!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,886
adam, nice rr. sorry about the wind, i know how that feels. i stopped using my big tank bag since it won't allow me to lean forward going uphill. replaced it with something smaller, also by wolfman.

good to see you and n getting more riding. keep it going and it will help you prepare for your bigger and longer rides.

cheers.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
adam, nice rr. sorry about the wind, i know how that feels. i stopped using my big tank bag since it won't allow me to lean forward going uphill. replaced it with something smaller, also by wolfman.

good to see you and n getting more riding. keep it going and it will help you prepare for your bigger and longer rides.

cheers.
Yeah, I need to work out something with my packing job.

My friend mike took a video.
http://youtu.be/Faea6wiz9xY
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Love it! You are very lucky to be able to ride with your girl...
benwiggin2 is online now   Reply With Quote