ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
ohpyramids OP
Latebird

Oddometer: 56
Immobilized myself. Maybe fuel maybe electrical

Hello all. Posted this in the KTM SMT forum, but wanted to get some fresh eyes on my problem. I have a fairly new 2012 KTM SMT 990 that was purchased 4 months ago. It has 2900 miles, commuting and highway.

Heres the issue, I removed the stock battery from my 2012 SMT and tried to replace it with a Shorai. Simple procedure. The bike started fine and idled for 2 minutes, then quit. Thought it was weird. Restarted the bike, revved it out and let it idle for another minute, no problems. 2 Hours later I jumped on it to leave for a party. Bike idled for 2 minutes, then as i rode to end of my street, it died on me at the end. Now the bike cranks but will not start.

I had 13.1 volts coming from the shorai at rest. Seems like the shorai is putting out ok voltage. After I crank it, I noticed that Im getting a code from the FI light, its 2 short blinks. The manual indicates that its a 'circuit ignition pulse generator' error. I have checked the loom and pins and not found any corrosion or weird connections.

Ive checked the main fuse, fi fuse, and the larger fuse block behind the battery and they are all ok. Ive swapped in the old battery and am getting the same behavior as the new battery. Cranks without starting.

I've never had problems with this bike until I installed the shorai battery.

I did notice that as soon as I reconnected the negative terminal of the battery, there was a grinding/gurgling noise coming from the front of the bike. It sounded like a rougher version the noise you hear right after you turn the ignition key to start.

Attached photos of my process below.
Original battery, undisturbed.
Comparing weight between the two. Huge improvement!
Padding the stock battery box with the included Shorai pads.
Shorai inserted and ready to reattach all 4 wires.

Is there anything I could have fried from installing the battery incorrectly? Im 90% sure that I removed the negative wires, then positive wires, reattached positive wires then negative wires.

Im inclined to re-install the old battery & drop it off at the dealership while claiming ignorance.
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Try with spraying starting pilot in the intake when u are cranking. If it fires up the fuel system should be looked at. If it does not fire u need to look at the ignition system.

If u get it to start measure the loading voltage.

Also measure the pulse generator by measuring the connector, should be behind the oil tank and engine. (check your service manual for certainty to my knowlegde it's yellow-blue and yellow/white)
Should be 4.0 volts with +-0.5 tolerance if the value is wrong measure the resistance it should read 190-300 ohms. (note this is 950 electrical info, so check your service manual for exact numbers)

Does the dash reset or blank out when u crank it?
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 11:19 PM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
ohpyramids OP
Latebird

Oddometer: 56
Good info Katoom72!

I have reinstalled the old battery, and unfortunately, no change in problems. The bike just cranks as if there is no fuel. I have not noticed any blinking or flickering in the gauge cluster while cranking or sitting with the key on.

I am wondering how this shorai could have fried something in my bike when there seems to be a relay or fuse between everything.
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote