ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
mootsuno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The Mendo Rally looks like a big deal with hundreds of people, motorhomes/trailers. I ride motorcycles, not a Motorhome guy, so not so much interest for me. I prefer to R I D E my bike to Mendo Forest and Camp or Motel it while in the area. YMMV. No offense to the Mendo rally guys but rides with hundreds of NOOB riders is not my idea of fun. Cluster f*#@K

Somebody misinformed you about the Mendo Rally. There's a group campground
with a 50 person limit and no motorhomes. Adjacent to the group site is a campground where trailers are allowed
and last year there were two who attended the rally.

Half the participants ride their bikes in.

As for riders there are some noobs, many experienced riders and even one who raced the Dakar.

Just thought I clarify any misconceptions
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
mario94901 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Wicked Clear Lake Ride from Marin....

Thought I'd update this with a recent ride we did. We headed out of San Rafael around 7:30, and went to Fremont Diner on 121 near napa for a bite before we headed out. GREAT food! House smoked bacon, home made sausage...ricotta pancakes. yea...its legit. Very good...

Went with 2 other buddies... one on an SV 650, and another on a Kawasaki Concourse 14.

We headed out on hwy 29 N, and then to 128 West towards Berryessa. We took a left onto Berryessa Knoxville Road.. beautiful road, but pretty bumpy. Also, about 5 stream crossings... they look great, but they are really slick!! My buddies bikes obviously weren't really geared for this, but they did well. Minus the mishaps with the SV! My buddy went down in one of the crossings... he gave a little too much throttle, and fish tailed and went down. Slid about 30 feet on the frame slider, AND his Dianese pants...
They all held up well....Gotta love frame sliders. I lost traction on my front in one of the crossings..but I was good.

Here's a snap of the clutch lever...frankenstein looking..

Here's the broken shift lever....... had to figure something out!

Here's our jimmy rig lever... goog thing we had some wire with us! Worked great to get him home.

The Frame Slider that took most of the impact.....

A few other shots of Berryessa Knoxville Road, and the bikes.

We rode 29N to Siegler Canyon Road.... and took that South. Plan was to stay on the road, but ended up taking a detour on a dirt road. My buddies weren't too happy with that.... lol But, they powered through.
Road picked back up at Harbin Springs Road. We ended up stopping at Busters BBQ in Calistoga for a bite and beer. BBQ was meh... (think mine is better) but the beer was delicious! Great spot to stop on the way home. There was a cop parked right at the T where Busters is. BEWARE...

3 way bbq plate..

Ben is still smiling after the fall....trooper.

All in all, was a great day ride. Rode about 215 miles all up. My ass was def feeling it...but would do it again. Beautiful roads out there....

When I got back.....had to throw my protective gear on my bike after that ride!

Alt Rider Crash bars

SW Motech Skid Plate

SW Motech Center Stand

Thanks for checking the post out guys....
mario94901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootsuno View Post
Somebody misinformed you about the Mendo Rally. There's a group campground
with a 50 person limit and no motorhomes. Adjacent to the group site is a campground where trailers are allowed
and last year there were two who attended the rally.

Half the participants ride their bikes in.

As for riders there are some noobs, many experienced riders and even one who raced the Dakar.

Just thought I clarify any misconceptions
Sorry Dean, from the thousands of posts in the thread it seemed like most came up in Pick -UPs and Toy Haulers. I remember reading something about the Forest Service shutting you guys down or limiting numbers?
I admire your efforts ... as long as the massive logistics don't get in the way of riding. Hope this years rally goes well.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario94901 View Post
Thought I'd update this with a recent ride we did. We headed out of San Rafael around 7:30, and went to Fremont Diner on 121 near napa for a bite before we headed out. GREAT food!

My buddy went down in one of the crossings... he gave a little too much throttle, and fish tailed and went down. Slid about 30 feet on the frame slider, AND his Dianese pants...
Thanks for the update Mario! Great looking Breakfast at the Diner!
You guys are certainly not the first to come to grief crossing those slick crossings. They are famous ... and I've personally seen 3 different guys go down there. One on a brand new R12GS ... which slewed sideways, went off the bridge and into the Creek. Whoops! The trick is too go light on the bars, neutral throttle, no brake, relax, don't look down.

You should post up if you plan a ride.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
mootsuno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Sorry Dean, from the thousands of posts in the thread it seemed like most came up in Pick -UPs and Toy Haulers. I remember reading something about the Forest Service shutting you guys down or limiting numbers?
I admire your efforts ... as long as the massive logistics don't get in the way of riding. Hope this years rally goes well.
Hey Grifter,

Most of the info you heard was probably for the Sheetiron ride which goes through
Mendo.

The Oakland motocycle club does a great job organizing and running that ride
and the forest service limits it to 500 riders. I believe the forest service also
restricted the portion of the ride that follows FH7 in the northern half of Mendo NF.
That's why it was rerouted a few years ago. That's what I heard anyway.

By the way we have one opening left in the group site.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 996
Wrong again, but at least you're consistent.

Quote:
Quote:
The Mendo Rally looks like a big deal with hundreds of people, motorhomes/trailers. I ride motorcycles, not a Motorhome guy, so not so much interest for me. I prefer to R I D E my bike to Mendo Forest and Camp or Motel it while in the area. YMMV. No offense to the Mendo rally guys but rides with hundreds of NOOB riders is not my idea of fun. Cluster f*#@K

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootsuno View Post
Hey Grifter,
Most of the info you heard was probably for the Sheetiron ride which goes through Mendo.
Dave,
I was referring to your Mendo rally thread, which I believe has been on going for a couple years, no? I'm not mixing up your event with the Sheet Iron. I am not new ... I first rode the Sheet Iron in 1989, ridden it four or five times since then. Great ride. The OMC do a great job. I also rode their Jackhammer Enduro 5 or 6 times. Both great events.

Best of luck with your ride! Have fun, be careful out there.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 996

Quote:
Dave,
I was referring to your Mendo rally thread, which I believe has been on going for a couple years, no? I'm not mixing up your event with the Sheet Iron. I am not new ... I first rode the Sheet Iron in 1989, ridden it four or five times since then. Great ride. The OMC do a great job. I also rode their Jackhammer Enduro 5 or 6 times. Both great events.

Best of luck with your ride! Have fun, be careful out there.
Quote:
Quote:

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #24
mario94901 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Thanks for the update Mario! Great looking Breakfast at the Diner!
You guys are certainly not the first to come to grief crossing those slick crossings. They are famous ... and I've personally seen 3 different guys go down there. One on a brand new R12GS ... which slewed sideways, went off the bridge and into the Creek. Whoops! The trick is too go light on the bars, neutral throttle, no brake, relax, don't look down.

You should post up if you plan a ride.
Thanks Grifter! Had a blast...beautiful out there. Great paved roads, and plenty of off road options as well. And that Diner is one the best I've been to. Must check it out if you haven't already.

Yea, those streams are tricky. Thanks for the tips...

Wanted to do a ride before my Oregon trip... which is in mid may. ( I was drooling over the sand dunes in Oregon!. Might have to buy some sand tires, and head up there to mess around)

If you or anyone else you know might be game for a long day trip, maybe next weekend, would love to check out some new roads...

M
mario94901 is offline   Reply With Quote