Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #4936
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy View Post
Radioman, step away from the fountain.

Then tell me exactly where that fountain of youth is located.....whisper, I'll keep it a secret.

Another amazing shadow again. :-)

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #4937
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,667
I don't know how he does it, but Mark found time tonight to say hello to a few of the local idiots in Portland.

He had a meeting all day to day, met us tonight, and is flying out for DC early tomorrow morning.

One of these days he is going to meet himself going the other way.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #4938
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
Welcome home Mark, well at least temporarily If you do get any free time while in DC, you know you have cold beer waiting from me too. But no worries I know this trip has other priorities.

DCrider screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 04:11 AM
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #4939
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
I don't know how he does it, but Mark found time tonight to say hello to a few of the local idiots in Portland.
was great to see you Ken.... and the other locals who are following along!! Sitting at airport this am.... Onto my next priority.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #4940
Radioman OP
Moto rider

This time at home is short, but it is important for me and I continue to advocate on behalf of all those impacted by Alzheimer's Disease, and our country as we face a HUGE financial crisis in caring for people with Alzheimer's disease and related Dementia's now and into the near future.

I volunteered at an Alzheimer's Conference in Portland yesterday. 300+ family caregivers, professional caregivers, and others attend this ever year to learn about the disease, better ways to care for people with Alzheimer's and related illnesses! It is an amazing time with wonderful people! So glad I saw so many familiar faces !

What is staggering is this:

FACTS: 5.3 million Americans currently with Alzheimer's projected to grow to 16 Million in the next 30 years.

Cost of the disease to our society around 200 Billion currently More than Cancer and Heart Disease combined!

These charges show what our government is spending right now on research for the 5 major diseases, and which ones are increasing

Why has Alzheimer's disease been so underfunded when it will overwhelm our healthcare system. expected to reach 1.2 Trillion in less than 30 years. More than all other diseases combined. It is terrible. Our government needs to start seriously addressing this issue!!

We have lots of budget issues to deal with and this is another case that our leaders are not looking at the future realities and making better choices about what to spend our money on. Please support Alzheimer's priorities !!

This will be my 5th year participating in Advocacy on Capital Hill. We did get the National Alzheimer's Plan Act PAssed in 2010 with UNANIMOUS vote. When has that happened in the last 30 years on something this big? in our government.

I am just a guy, no one is paying me to go to DC or spend the time and money to do so. Having lived the disease with my lovely wife, seeing so many families go through such a terrible disease and it's emotional and economic toll that it takes. It changed my life forever, and I want to help find a cure and treatments for this.

Radioman screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 07:25 AM
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #4941
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 661
Thanks Mark for the info on Alzheimer's, I had no idea of the scale though it has decimated those I know too. Hope your time in DC is productive. David
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #4942
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
Thanks Mark for the info on Alzheimer's, I had no idea of the scale though it has decimated those I know too. Hope your time in DC is productive. David
thanks so much David CeeCee

The magnitude of the costs of the disease are staggering, and growing rapidly with our baby boomers and people living longer

This is not motorcycle related but felt I needed to share it!

Radioman screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 04:58 PM
Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #4943
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
It is a very honorable thing you are doing for awareness about Alzheimer's disease. My wife's mother was infected with it for many years before her death. It is truly a terrible disease. Thank you for that, plus the great RR! been following along and really enjoying your adventure's.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #4944
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 145
Radioman Network

Dedicated to Mark, and all the folks who put their life on hold to care for those afflicted with Alzheimer's, here on the Radioman Network.

Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #4945
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 977
I have lurked in this thread for a few weeks now... Honestly, your username was the first thing that caught my attention as a Ham Radio Operator (N2ADV )

It took me weeks to catch up, but holy cow: talk about a page turner! Having read this thread while on trains, planes, in hotels, at my desk in the office (now that my work travel schedule has calmed down), at home when I should have been doing stuff around the house (shhhh), and a few other places I won't mention , I am finally at a place where I feel comfortable humbly inserting a comment in your thread.

You, sir, are an inspiration and, I dare say, a force of nature. Honestly, I don't feel qualified to go further than that except to say, "Thank you" for taking the time to share your journey. Looking forward to the next installment!

As a "numbers guy" in my day-to-day life, I will also mention that the figures you showed are the tip of the proverbial iceberg, showing volume and direct costs with a few "indirect" costs thrown in. The secondary costs have yet to really be quantified: time off/wage costs for family caregivers, health costs for family caregivers (read: exhaustion leads to suppressed immune function which leads to illness which leads to more exhaustion, etc), indirect pass-through costs from time off of family caregivers (simplistic example: family caregiver has to miss work, someone has to work OT to maintain production levels which increases production costs which, on some level, gets passed along to the general consumer, etc)... The list goes on and the more you think about it, the more staggering the numbers become!

Best of luck in your journey, Mark, and again thanks for taking us along.

-James
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #4946
Radioman OP
Moto rider

James. Thanks for the Post. Indeed this disease has so many costs to families and all of us that it should be a priority!! You are right on with your assessment of the other costs. I quit my career to care for my wife, and the financial burdens have changed my entire life. I am fortunate that we were in really good financial condition and prepared for the possibilities which allowed us to weather the financial impact. That said, our own finances took a huge toll to say the least, and will spend the rest of my working life to try to be ready for retirement. That is a reality for me!

Thanks for posting! Humbled.

Mark

Radioman screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 08:10 AM
Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #4947
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Mark, you are Genuine, that comes through loud and clear. Explains the HUGE following. I too am fairly recent in finding you and I am so glad I did. From all the BAD news we get thrown at us every day, it is very refreshing to see honesty, integrity and enthusiasm for life. You could probably solicit funds and just keep on ridin' for us.... Test that gear, what ever it takes....
Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #4948
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Thanks Steve for your comments. Sharing my ride and my life with the ADV community has been great! Thanks for following along.

I flew back to Washington DC on Friday, and stayed at my Nephews home in Virginia. Was able to spend a little time with Susan and Little Eli. So fun to be around a cute little guy who is so observant and interested.!

I have met some amazing people through ADVRider. Has definitely made my life better !! I was able to meet up again with iDave and Julie and there family while I was in Virginia!! Was a real treat for me!! They were celebrating 29 year Anniversary!! (which I missed because I did not see the PM from the morning). But hearty congratulations to you both!!

I took the metro into DC on Sunday so that I could meet up with Conor (1Man2Wheels) and Erik (DCRider) for lunch before my conference registration.
Great to see them both again. Last I saw Conor was South America then Florida last summer!

Erik Rolled up on his 72 Triumph 650 Bonneville Awesome!

The next few days will be packed with reconnecting with other Alzheimer's Advocates from around the US, preparing for Capital Hill visits on Wednesday. Always a draining but rewarding time fighting for Alzheimer's Causes.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #4949
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Great to catch up with you again Mark. Best of luck with your work in DC this week and I'm looking forward to the continuation of your travels in the wider world!

Conor
1Man2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #4950
prophog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I know there pains

Mark
It's so hard not to become enraged over this disease (A/Dementia) my mother now in a home 3 months after 5 years home care my dad in care home 3 years now hospice is helping my wife now living with her mother and father .
All one can do is love cry and do your best.
You have earned your time
No regrets

I am a man.... I can change... If I have to... I guess
"Red Green Show"
prophog is offline   Reply With Quote