Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #1171
ManWow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
This threads huge and I may have over looked it, but has anyone used a vstream? I'm looking for something while I save for the mirage 2 hah
ManWow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #1172
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Even with the optional BMW Touring screen, I was very unhappy on the highway with the noise I was getting in my helmet (Schuberth C3) and had to wear earplugs starting at about 110 kph (say 60 mph). With my K1300GT with Ztechnic V-Stream screen, I never have to wear earplugs at ANY speed.

I sent an email to Cee Bailey asking if their screen would fit a 2013 F800GS with BarkBuster Storm handguards and they never replied to me. I phoned them after more than a week and was told simply that, "No, it won't work."

So after looking around, I decided to try (as an interim measure) a Laminar Lip and I must say that so far I'm quite pleased with it. Not as good as the setup on my K1300GT, but good enough that I think I won't be looking for any other screen options.

#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #1173
Mavman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Almost shelled out $1000+ for a Touratech Desierto 3 fairing at the BMW motorcycle dealer here in Montreal. They had the guts to ask me for an extra $75-150 to install the damn thing. Needless to say I was unimpressed.

Going to order an MRA X-creen online instead.
Mavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #1174
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavman View Post
Almost shelled out $1000+ for a Touratech Desierto 3 fairing at the BMW motorcycle dealer here in Montreal. They had the guts to ask me for an extra $75-150 to install the damn thing. Needless to say I was unimpressed.

Going to order an MRA X-creen online instead.
Look at the Mirage II, if it's not as effective as the Desierto I'd be surprised, and 1/2 the cost.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #1175
Mavman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Does the mirage require surgery to the instrument panel? If so how difficult is it to install and what tools are needed?
Mavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #1176
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,633
It is easy to install with minimal fuss with the dash. Quite a good system and the install went very quick even for a n00b at it. I am taking mine off after some time now and it's not working for me. I'll put it in FM maybe after I get home in one week and remove it. Piece of cake to install and quality material and support. Just never worked for me very well but a lot of others say it works for them. That's good.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #1177
H2R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4
My wife and I have both had MadStad adjustable windshields on our F650 GS's for a year now and I thought I would report back on our experience. Windshields were by far the hardest farkle for us to to choose and this thread was a big help in the selection.

We have ridden 8,000 and 10,000 miles with the MadStads and couldn't be happier. Mark (the owner) was very helpful in determining which height windshield was appropriate for each of us. He even volunteered to cut down a windshield to better fit with my wife's low seat bike. The units are well constructed. The winglets add protection for cold weather riding but are very easy to remove when the weather gets hot. (We just rode to Nelson BC on a 35 degree F morning and appreciated the winglets.)

I like knowing that the windshield can be adjusted if needed to accommodate a different riding style or new seat. So far though, we have left the windshields adjusted the way we set them up after trial runs on the first few days. I think that the RoboBrackets aren't really optimal for raising and lowering the screen frequently. If I wanted to lower the screen to ride in the wilds, I might simply remove it from the metal fairing and then reattach it, rather than fooling with readjusting the brackets.

Before purchasing, we were concerned about the size and dark color of the fairing. From photos it seemed like the windshield and fairing might overwhelm the bike. We even considered painting the fairings to match the bikes. Once the windshields arrived and were installed however this was no longer a concern. The fairing and windshield seem to be a natural part of the bike and blend with the other black elements on the bike.

Given the price and versatility I am surprised I haven't seen more about the Madstad in this thread recently. We think they are great.

I'm not affiliated with MadStad; I'm just a happy customer.

-Jim
H2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #1178
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2R View Post
... So far though, we have left the windshields adjusted the way we set them up after trial runs on the first few days. I think that the RoboBrackets aren't really optimal for raising and lowering the screen frequently....
Thanks glad you are enjoying them, and they are attractively priced!
How'd you end up in terms of adjustment?
Picture?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #1179
drcjj
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wunderlich srceen extension/wind deflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
I'm selling my MRA if you are interested.
I just installed a Wunderlich Screen extender ($129) on my PowerBronze screen for that extra 2-3"... not a perfect fit due to the center molded shape of the screen, however... OMG it works fantastic to stop the buffeting and is very well made and adjustable. I rode it up over 80mph and the powerBronze screen flexes quite a bit but it makes a huge improvement in airflow.. I would give it a go... I imagine you could return it if you didn't like it. Good luck!
drcjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #1180
shashankmittal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I received the Mirage II last week and finally put it to test today over a short 2 mile ride on the highway. Adjusted the windscreen starting from the highest position and lowering it by half an inch after every quarter mile doing 70-80mph. I couldn't find a sweet spot that would minimize the wind buffeting. I am 5'5" and wear a Schuberth S2. I guess the Mirage is going back to Britannia and I have to keep looking for more options.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #1181
ManWow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm running a short sport touring dark ton vstream with the wunderlich deflector and over a few miles it seems to be working great. I'll be tweaking the angles to see but so far so good! I am 6'2" and just the vstream was nice up to 75. It created nice smooth air around the helmet. Pics to come
ManWow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #1182
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Pics still going to come?
OnkelPopanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #1183
Cowboy Mac
adventure n00b

Oddometer: 15
Is anyone planning to attempt using the OEM F800GS Adventure screen on the standard F800GS? I'd like to know if this works
Cowboy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #1184
thleon
Theo

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Mac View Post
Is anyone planning to attempt using the OEM F800GS Adventure screen on the standard F800GS? I'd like to know if this works
The option mounting the GPS over the instruments makes it a good option.
do you believe that it will be possible to mount it on the other models?

thleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #1185
Cowboy Mac
adventure n00b

Oddometer: 15
@thleon: The bar looks handy for mounts. If it does turn out to fit I'll go down this path.
Cowboy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote