Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #76021
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,237
OK, I got my DR on the road with the new suspension from Cogent and some other new components this last Saturday. The suspension worked really good, the carb needs some attention. I will be ordering new jets, fuel mixture screw for this and give the carb a good cleaning. I need some advise on what jets to get. Here are the details; FMF Q4, and I left the snorkel out when I put the airbox back in. Thats it......so, I am looking for some good insight here on what to get ordered up (Pilot, Main, etc). Thanks in advance

Oh one more thing. I live in the Phoenix but I head north quite often and I will be heading to Colorado this year as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #76022
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
... I left the snorkel out when I put the airbox back in. Thats it......
Stock main, stock pilot, shim the needle up .030"
As long as you are not cutting open the airbox you don't need anything else.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #76023
refokus
Just Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Stock main, stock pilot, shim the needle up .030"
As long as you are not cutting open the airbox you don't need anything else.
Jeff, what is the stock main and pilot. I bought this bike recently (and have ordered many items from procycle recently) and I am sure the previous owner was in the carb and I am not sure what the stock sizes of jets are.

Now, if I was to open up the air box what jets should I use and I want to put the extended fuel mixture screw in. Does the kit on your site cover all jets? When looking at the picture, I did not see the pilot jet.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #76024
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,418
I've become what I hate...a throttle bliper! Help me stop the madness!

DR just started not wanting to idle down when coming to a stop. Quick blip of the throttle and it settles down. Thought throttle blade was sticking and figured after the first time that would be it. Nope. I even tried using the push/pull on the throttle and it wont idle down. Blip works every time... WTF?

Going to pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning. Any suggestions on a probable cause?

I swear I will sell the f*!@er if I have to blip the throttle all the time
Mongle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #76025
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Jeff, what is the stock main and pilot. I bought this bike recently (and have ordered many items from procycle recently) and I am sure the previous owner was in the carb and I am not sure what the stock sizes of jets are.

Now, if I was to open up the air box what jets should I use and I want to put the extended fuel mixture screw in. Does the kit on your site cover all jets? When looking at the picture, I did not see the pilot jet.
Main 140
Pilot 42.5

If you open up the airbox you need a jet kit because you have to change the needle to compensate for the loss in airbox restriction. The jet kit doesn't include a pilot jet. There has never been a need to run anything other than the stock pilot.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #76026
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
OK, I got my DR on the road with the new suspension from Cogent and some other new components this last Saturday. The suspension worked really good, the carb needs some attention. I will be ordering new jets, fuel mixture screw for this and give the carb a good cleaning. I need some advise on what jets to get. Here are the details; FMF Q4, and I left the snorkel out when I put the airbox back in. Thats it......so, I am looking for some good insight here on what to get ordered up (Pilot, Main, etc). Thanks in advance

Oh one more thing. I live in the Phoenix but I head north quite often and I will be heading to Colorado this year as well.
I have the Q4 on my 530 KTM,its way louder then one would think,if you like noise it's the 1 to get.
Then when the packing blows out it will echo off the canyons.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #76027
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Rigerimer help ...

Hey man, hang in there and take a shot at he two inmates ideas. I know you have a line screwed up going to the carb so maybe between the three things you will be up and running for Pickett!

Might want to reach out to MX Rob or Procycle about the carb issue we discussed. Rob is the best and makes the pumper carb I have on my bike.

Footnote :

Should not have bought blue, they don't run as well!
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #76028
refokus
Just Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I have the Q4 on my 530 KTM,its way louder then one would think,if you like noise it's the 1 to get.
Then when the packing blows out it will echo off the canyons.
I'll run my Q4 until the packing goes to hell then I will put the stock muffler back on....
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #76029
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I've become what I hate...a throttle bliper! Help me stop the madness!

DR just started not wanting to idle down when coming to a stop. Quick blip of the throttle and it settles down. Thought throttle blade was sticking and figured after the first time that would be it. Nope. I even tried using the push/pull on the throttle and it wont idle down. Blip works every time... WTF?

Going to pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning. Any suggestions on a probable cause?

I swear I will sell the f*!@er if I have to blip the throttle all the time
I forgot ... are you running the stock BST40 Carb? If so ... PM Derek.
My old Carb did the same ... slide/Jet needle was worn out (apparently).
I just bought a whole new Carb. This might be it, not certain, but when the slide and Jet needle begin to wear you can get off idle stumble and stalling going down to idle. YMMV.

Just a thought.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #76030
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I forgot ... are you running the stock BST40 Carb? If so ... PM Derek.
My old Carb did the same ... slide/Jet needle was worn out (apparently).
I just bought a whole new Carb. This might be it, not certain, but when the slide and Jet needle begin to wear you can get off idle stumble and stalling going down to idle. YMMV.

Just a thought.
Stock-ish BST40

Forgot about the whole needle wear. I do have an aftermarket needle (PC kit); I will have to check the tube it runs in. I think Derek has mentioned not liking aftermarket needles due to wearing that tube.

Thanks
Mongle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #76031
Indytriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I have done most of that, what I have left is the suspension and motor rebuild. I am debating if it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
A good riding buddy did about 90K on his Wee Strom, lots of Mexico off road. His bike got very loose and sloppy feeling (when compared to brand New Wee Strom) But before he sold it he went though and replaced most all the bearings (steering head, swing arm, link and wheel) and refreshed suspension, front and rear (Wilbur shock). The bike was transformed, steered better, more stable, better handling. The motor and mechanicals never had any problems. AFAIK, his bike is still on the road and doing fine.
Indytriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #76032
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Stock-ish BST40

Forgot about the whole needle wear. I do have an aftermarket needle (PC kit); I will have to check the tube it runs in. I think Derek has mentioned not liking aftermarket needles due to wearing that tube.

Thanks
yea, its that stinkin' tube. My needle looked OK but the slide and tube showed a bit of wear. Does not take much to affect smooth running.
Could also be a bit of water in float bowl. Drain it for luck. Maybe a dose of Sea Foam or Techron? Also, re-check fuel/air screw setting (mine vibrated OUT) and reset idle speed.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #76033
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 433
Sargent seat to sell

anybody want one? I have an extra. I put a bunch of pics of it here:

http://www.toughguards.com/temp/forsale.htm

Please PM me if interested. thanks

Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #76034
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 433
hmm.. maybe I wasnt' sposed to post it here? It's in the flea market now. Just thought I'd let you guys know 'cause it's a DR650 item.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #76035
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Seat

PM sent

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote