Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,118
990 Nerf bar lateral support: Needed or extra weight?

I got a set of used nerf bars from Geek. Not sure of the mfgr. Probably not KTM. They have a really beefy steel cross bar to connect the inside edges of the cages together. This thing must weigh 2-3 pounds.

I noticed the new KTMs don't have any kind of bar connecting across. I'm inclined to leave it out to save weight. The most likely scenario for me is tipping the bike over at zero-low speed. I suppose if I rolled the bike off the side of a mountain, the cross over would provide some extra protection.

I'm anal-retentive, but this bar seems to be overkill. Thoughts?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
NeilP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I'd keep the bar, they are much stonger with it in place.

I had the KTM version without the bar, and when dropped it twisted on the mounts and was pushed into the side fairing. The bar prevents this, as well as having lateral support.

I swapped the oem KTM version out to the SW motech ones with the cross bar, and that seems to be a common practice in the threads on crash bars.
NeilP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
I'd keep the bar, they are much stonger with it in place.

I had the KTM version without the bar, and when dropped it twisted on the mounts and was pushed into the side fairing. The bar prevents this, as well as having lateral support.

I swapped the oem KTM version out to the SW motech ones with the cross bar, and that seems to be a common practice in the threads on crash bars.
Good feedback, thanks.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 600
Sounds like you have SW Motechs. In the grand scheme of things, 2 pounds down low isn't going to make a big difference, but the additional strength might. My 990 fully loaded with camp gear fell over in a parking lot (on an angle) and the only damage was a scrape on the Motechs and my ego. Man, that's embarrassing....

el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,856
That piece is why the sw motechs are better than the ktm guards. Keep it. Or don't run guards at all and have your bike look scratched up like I do.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
KTMADV
Hammer Down

Oddometer: 161
I sure like my SW motech crash bars. I hit a very big rock in the desert and the crash bar did very well.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMADV View Post
I sure like my SW motech crash bars. I hit a very big rock in the desert and the crash bar did very well.

Yikes! Looks like your x-bar tab nearly took out the oil tank.

Yes, my bars are Motechs. I suspect that are substanntially stronger than the stock bars, even without the brace.

I did modify my plastic tank guards the other day. I cut out the section with the raised plastic fins so that they wouldn't interfere with the bags that mount in there. I filled the opening with white reflective tape. I figured that with these monster bars, I didn't really need the protection of those ribs anyway.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMADV View Post

Based on this photo, I took a closer look at my bars when I reinstalled. Clearance between that tab and the oil tank is nonexistent. Looks like a design flaw to me. I ground a nice radius on the back side of the tab before I put it together.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Radius on end of tab to protect oil tank.

Mounted my bags in the nerf bars:

To allow the bags to sit closer to the tank, I cut out the finned section of the plastic lower tank protector, and lined the tank with reflective tape behind it.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Oldebonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Crash bars

Motechs look neat and substantial,I have a 2012 Adventure with stock KTM crash bars.Did a dumb maneuver in a gas station the other day,glasses were fogged and I got a little out of shape and went over,full impact on right side. I was nauseous thinking about the damage I'd done to my new bike,lifted it back up with help from a good soul(I'm 65,gimme a break!)Crash bars didn't even bend or budge,a little scratched,mirror spun,$5.00 turn signal broke,not a scratch anywhere on body.The cheesy looking plastic hand guards had a little scratch but saved lever,etc. and didn't crack.Been riding my LC4 for 10 yrs.Have never crashed at speed,I'm most dangerous to my bike at 0 mph with my arthritic old knees!Maybe the standard KTM stuff is not so awful.
Oldebonz is offline   Reply With Quote