Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #76
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
A better wind/cockpit solution is next on my list of upgrades and I would love to go with someone who has a great product and is mostly local, which would be Ian in both cases. Does anyone have pictures of their Brittania cockpit set-ups on a 650 or 800 in terms of GPS, switches, etc?

I am also curious about durability since I seem to be like a tiny motorized Weeble Wobble sometimes........

:-)
Scroll down a few pictures.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=237
Old 04-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #77
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Madstad or Mirage

Ok I am considering the Mirage or the Madstad for my f800. The real need is to mount my GPS above the gadges. The windshield adjustability is a plus as well.

A couple of questions
1. Is it possible to use the stock screen with the Mirage? I have seen at least one picture where someone did. Did they just drill the necessary holes in the factory screen?

2. Can I get the Mirage without a windscreen (I will use the factory one), and no slots. My thought is to buy the Madstad brackets which should allow for even more adjustability. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea. Why I should not do this?

3. Should I just go with the Madstad? It does not have the cool inner plastic fairing, but I could figure a way to mount the gps to the madstad mount, it is similiar to what I have on my old f650.

Thanks for any help or feedback.
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #78
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA456 View Post
Ok I am considering the Mirage or the Madstad for my f800. The real need is to mount my GPS above the gadges. The windshield adjustability is a plus as well.

A couple of questions
1. Is it possible to use the stock screen with the Mirage? I have seen at least one picture where someone did. Did they just drill the necessary holes in the factory screen?

2. Can I get the Mirage without a windscreen (I will use the factory one), and no slots. My thought is to buy the Madstad brackets which should allow for even more adjustability. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea. Why I should not do this?

3. Should I just go with the Madstad? It does not have the cool inner plastic fairing, but I could figure a way to mount the gps to the madstad mount, it is similiar to what I have on my old f650.

Thanks for any help or feedback.
1) The Mirage screen is completely different from the stock, so they are largely incompatible. Of course anything can be made to fit and it may ell be that people have tried it. Having tested every conceivable screen shape and size, I can assure you it will not work as well, particularly with the new Mirage screens we use these days

2) You could certainly get the Mirage without the screen and no sliding slots, but at a saving of $48, it doesn't seem a very economical way forward along with the possible problems of poor airflow from the unknown screen combo.

3) You sound fairly keen on the Madstad screen except the GPS mount feature on the Mirage. The Mirage is mounted much more solidly than most screens, because it is designed to take the hammering of off road use with the weight of a GPS mounted on it along with the ability to get the screen down out of the way, which is always a problem with tall screens.

I don't want to 'undersell' the Mirage, but it seems that you do not really want/need most of the benefits of a Mirage and I would advise choosing one or the other, rather than risk a 'hybrid'.

Cheers Ian
Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #79
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
I got my Brittannia screen a few months ago, and just got back from a 4200 mile jaunt around the west coast with it, the first time I have taken a really long multi day trip since I got it. After that distance, a combination of freeways, dirt roads, freezing rain, snow and temps down in the 20s, I cannot stress how well it worked. It saved me from the worst of ice accumulation in Utah, kept the wind out of my face down the high ways, and even did a 100mph run across the Bonneville Salt Flats.

No affiliation, just like stuff that works.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #80
Guyonabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
What he said. Fantastic product!
Guyonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #81
servdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Top notch

I have had my Mirage 2 screen for over a year a covered around 20,000 miles. IT has exceeded my expectations greatly.

Be it solo or two up I can find the right height for each situation and being able to mount the satnav above the clocks (Garmin Montana) is great. Very happy with the product and the service from Britannia composites.

servdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #82
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by servdave View Post
I have had my Mirage 2 screen for over a year a covered around 20,000 miles. IT has exceeded my expectations greatly.

Be it solo or two up I can find the right height for each situation and being able to mount the satnav above the clocks (Garmin Montana) is great. Very happy with the product and the service from Britannia composites.

thanks for the kind words and glad the fairing is working well for you.
Best wishes to everyone for the New Year

Cheers Ian
Old 12-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #83
servdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Happy new year to you too!
servdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #84
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 435
I posted this down in vendors - but I figured I should add it up here in PU too!

I finally bought a Mirage 2, and figured I should revive this thread with some pics of the latest revisions. Ian's last update gave the fairing and screen a slight rearward curve, a taller shield, and I think he trimmed for more handguard clearance.

Install is stupid easy, and the quality of all the components and hardware is super. The whole thing is very simple, and assembles into a rock solid adjustable fairing.

That said: I didn't purchase one earlier because I thought the dash shape and texture were ugly, and I had reservations about the 'fiberglass' fairing looking like crap on the back side. All the reviews said that it looks way better in person than in pictures. THIS IS COMPLETELY TRUE! The shapes and textures get exaggerated in photos - in person they blend into the bike well and give the whole front end a finished, integrated look. The texture on the back of the fairing is kind of a 'carbon fiber' pattern - it looks great, and most of it is hidden anyway.

In person, the dash doesn't dominate the fairing, it actually recedes into it and finishes the cockpit off with a bitchin' GPS perch. I tried to get a good angle to illustrate:

Side view shows the newer curve, and how the dash is deep inside the fairing:

Hot day, want some wind? Offroad? Put it down:

Cold morning? Put it halfway up. Long highway haul ahead? Slide it all the way up. I'm 6'2" on a tall seat and I can cruise 75-80 mph on the highway with the wind shooting over the beak of my Hornet. I've spent 17k miles on this bike taking the full brunt of the wind on my chest and helmet. No more:

It blends into the bike like it should have been there in the first place!

And true to forum comments, Ian is a pleasure to work with. I worked ahead on rewiring my GPS so I could have it done when the fairing arrived - and he was helpful in giving me the info I needed - and more!
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #85
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
I finally bought a Mirage 2, and figured I should revive this thread with some pics of the latest revisions. Ian's last update gave the fairing and screen a slight rearward curve, a taller shield, and I think he trimmed for more handguard clearance.

Side view shows the newer curve, and how the dash is deep inside the fairing:
Ian / anyone - Has this new version been installed with HDB hand guards
on the bike ? How's fitment? Seems I read (in vendors, I believe) that HDB guards hit the sides before steering lock on the older version. Thanks for the input.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #86
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Ian / anyone - Has this new version been installed with HDB hand guards
on the bike ? How's fitment? Seems I read (in vendors, I believe) that HDB guards hit the sides before steering lock on the older version. Thanks for the input.
I had this question a couple of weeks ago, so I did a measured up on my own F650 and the HDB guards on my Yam WR250RR and concluded that you should fine as long as you don't have the bars 'rolled' forward from the stock position.

Cheers Ian
Old 04-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #87
Mollygrubber OP
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
oooOOOooo I like the new "glass"... might have to try that out.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #88
crossplane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Sounds like it works a bit better than the desierto.

How rigid does it sit on the front? When riding over very rough offroad terrain, does it move around at all? I've found my touratech tends to flap around a bit (not just the windscreen, the weight from the whole mount system causes it all to flex and it weirds me out)
crossplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #89
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I don't want to like it, but I kinda do...
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #90
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossplane View Post
Sounds like it works a bit better than the desierto.

How rigid does it sit on the front? When riding over very rough offroad terrain, does it move around at all? I've found my touratech tends to flap around a bit (not just the windscreen, the weight from the whole mount system causes it all to flex and it weirds me out)
Well, it's on there pretty solid, because the dashboard has a rigid 'backbone' running from the headstock to the fairing, so the fairing isn't relying on the flimsy plastic OEM screen frame. Having said that I know that you Aussies have 'washboard' like no other countries, so I guess anything is likely to shake about a bit, As far as I'm aware, an M2 hasn't broken in use unless the bike got inverted and the fairing became the 'roll bar'