Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #2341
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
And see how quickly people snatch up a one-year-run X-Challenge now? The sale quicker than anything out there. There are a lot of dudes who didn't buy one who are regretting it these days.

The X was the only BMW that ever really caught my eye. Had it not been for the TR650, I'd still be lusting after the X.
I've never once regretted my X. Of course, I had to get rid of a silly air shock and Fab up something to get a range of close to 200 miles.

If only they made such a bike like that straight from the showroom. Nah, it would probably cost like $9000.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #2342
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextAdventre View Post
The TR650 is a SUPERB motorcycle for the money. It's smooth, nimble, light, comfortable, can easily cruise on the highway with a windscreen, plays well in the dirt, and all for a price that is astounding. I don't give a hoot where it's built, BMW spent a lot of time and money on this bike and BMW isn't really known for making junk. I have owned a lot of bikes, many of which cost twice as much as this thing and most of them weren't half as much fun.

To Those hemming and hawing i urge you to quit fretting and go and RIDE one. I did a side by side comparisons with the BMW 650 and 700 and honestly wasn't really even considering the Husky at first--glad I tried it. After the ride there was no question--The Husky is just more FUN. Read the June issue of Motorcyclist. Cook talks about what a great bike it is in his editors notes that at first glance are about the DR650, and then it wins a "Singles Club" shoot out.
If this is the only year for the bike so what? You will have gotten a one year gem! There will be parts for the next 10 years minimum no matter what. With it being a mostly BMW machine it should be no problem keeping it up to snuff. Honestly, even at full MSRP I don't see how you can go wrong with either the Terra or the Strada.

+1,
way to much fun to be concerned. It is the bike that scratches that itch for me.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #2343
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
If this is the only year for the bike so what? You will have gotten a one year gem! There will be parts for the next 10 years minimum no matter what. With it being a mostly BMW machine it should be no problem keeping it up to snuff. Honestly, even at full MSRP I don't see how you can go wrong with either the Terra or the Strada.
What makes you say this?

Look, everything I've read about the Terra and Strada has been very positive, and I think you should buy one if you want one, but assuming parts will be available, "...for the next 10 years minimum no matter what." is naive. They might be, but they might not be. You don't know and neither does anybody else.

If there is some law requiring this, please post a reference to the statute. The only laws I am aware of regarding parts availability are that they have to be available during the warranty period and regarding emission systems.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #2344
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
I think you need to look a little closer t the specs. The Terra and Strada are mechanically identical--so if Terra lives on so will the Strada. Tires, rims, plastics, and the fender are the only differences. There will be parts--And I don't think it's going to be an issue between dealers and the web. I suspect they will sell more TR650s thn all other Huskys combined this year. Pierer would be pretty crazy to kill it-- but he owns the bike and the means of production-- so it's his choice. I was worried about the parts issue at one time too, then I did some research, looked at the legalities, and decided I was worried about nothing.

Maybe you're right, and all us early adopters will be scrounging for parts in a year or two, but we will be having a heck of a time riding these bikes in the meantime
I don't know. Pierer seems like a wiry rooster ego type to conspicuously not mention Strada and Terra. He probably does not know what to do to keep consumers buying them and at what point to say, "its too BMW'ish for me and even the great BMW makes mistakes." The testers for the 900 were just an excuse from what I read, and the 900 would compete fiercely with KTM's.

Even his top gun from Husky said his livelihood was threatened initially. So I would not trust a high maintenance motorcycle from this man. I like the Husky's bike the best, but they do what KTM wants and they do it right now! lol

I hope you are right. I think I have about 6 local dealers and Husky NA 30 miles away from me. I'll keep this saved link for sure, but it may take BMW's once a century Rotax bike (non-Chinese) introduction to pull me away from my 1997 F650 ST (est. around 2067 according to the 70 year financial market greed-fear cycle).
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #2345
NextAdventre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
What makes you say this?

Look, everything I've read about the Terra and Strada has been very positive, and I think you should buy one if you want one, but assuming parts will be available, "...for the next 10 years minimum no matter what." is naive. They might be, but they might not be. You don't know and neither does anybody else.

If there is some law requiring this, please post a reference to the statute. The only laws I am aware of regarding parts availability are that they have to be available during the warranty period and regarding emission systems.
You got me--I'm a naive Pollyanna type . I just started searching for a law... can't find one. Got that figure from a buddy I trust... well used to trust

Seriously though, I had a Guzzi that they only imported a few hundred of. There was often a wait of a week or two, but I always got parts no matter who owned the company. You guys are right, there MAY not be parts available in a few years. But there also may be an apocalyptic event in that time, I sure hope not, but MAYBE. As long as it's profitable, someone will make us some parts.

I just don't see it being a reason not to buy a modern bike from an established company. We shall agree to disagree.
NextAdventre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #2346
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
You got me--I'm a naive Pollyanna type . I just started searching for a law... can't find one. Got that figure from a buddy I trust... well used to trust

Seriously though, I had a Guzzi that they only imported a few hundred of. There was often a wait of a week or two, but I always got parts no matter who owned the company. You guys are right, there MAY not be parts available in a few years. But there also may be an apocalyptic event in that time, I sure hope not, but MAYBE. As long as it's profitable, someone will make us some parts.

I just don't see it being a reason not to buy a modern bike from an established company. We shall agree to disagree.
I did say buy one if you want one. If the one husky dealer I've been too since the buyout was selling the Strada for $1500 off like some have posted here, I might have bought one. I had my checkbook with me
But alas, they still want full list and at full list, I'm going to wait and see. Its all good.

Edit: BTW the parts availability which make me cautious are the fuel injection system and engine control electronics. Plastics could be a problem too, but there's always duct tape for that.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #2347
NextAdventre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I did say buy one if you want one. If the one husky dealer I've been too since the buyout was selling the Strada for $1500 off like some have posted here, I might have bought one. I had my checkbook with me
But alas, they still want full list and at full list, I'm going to wait and see. Its all good.

Edit: BTW the parts availability which make me cautious are the fuel injection system and engine control electronics. Plastics could be a problem too, but there's always duct tape for that.
Ok, really, final post on this. I like you Mobiker, I think I need to buy you a beer next time you are in Western NC, and I think you make some very valid points.

I really am a bit of Pollyanna on this, and base my hope on previous experience and the positive feedback the bike is getting globally. I suppose the only reason I posted so much was that I don't want folks to be scared away from these bikes, and I have had a little too much free time this weekend. Back to work with me. We shall agree to AGREE .

You can DEFINITELY find Stradas for $1000 off right now, and I suspect you could get a little more off that if you worked it. I actually put in my down payment, heard about the discount and re-negotiated. I figure for $6000-$6500 on the Terra or the Strada it's the new bike deal of the year.
NextAdventre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #2348
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,017
You're gonna be able to find them for a lot less than that. I don't know what KTM is gonna do with a BMW engined bike five years from now, but I sure wouldn't want to be the one holding the title.

Too bad. Nice bike, but it's future is bleak.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #2349
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,630
I just put down a refundable deposit to hold a Strada for a couple of weeks while I sort this out. It was $5,999 plus fees & tax. Bike looks really nice, my big concern is having a dealer able to reflash the ECU software in a few years.

Buying this as a first bike for my son to ride with me. For a 650 single looks pretty hard to beat.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #2350
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #2351
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post

Your link doesn't work.

I hope its a good pic and not more of this stupid debate about the future of the bike and parts availability.
This discussion is getting old. No matter what theories we come up with, we will have no affect on the outcome.
Let's just get over it, let fate play its course and put up some posts about people actually using this machine or working on it.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #2352
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Your link doesn't work.

I hope its a good pic and not more of this stupid debate about the future of the bike and parts availability.
This discussion is getting old. No matter what theories we come up with, we will have no affect on the outcome.
Let's just get over it, let fate play its course and put up some posts about people actually using this machine or working on it.
Picture works on my end running Chrome.
I've ridden Husky (and others) since 1983 and I ride one now. Does that count? You can save your sermon for someone else.
Ride on.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #2353
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Picture works on my end running Chrome.
I've ridden Husky (and others) since 1983 and I ride one now. Does that count? You can save your sermon for someone else.
Ride on.

My rant wasn't directed at you, as I haven't seen any posts of yours debating the future of the bike. Pull out your reading glasses grandpa and get with the program.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #2354
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Your link doesn't work.

Thank you for that!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #2355
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
I just put down a refundable deposit to hold a Strada for a couple of weeks while I sort this out. It was $5,999 plus fees & tax. Bike looks really nice, my big concern is having a dealer able to reflash the ECU software in a few years.

Buying this as a first bike for my son to ride with me. For a 650 single looks pretty hard to beat.
Why would you care about a reflash in a few years? I understand the current flash is OK,

Regards, Paul