Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #8386
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Lightfighter are you still around? Would you mind me picking your brain for a few min about your bike?
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #8387
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
heres a quick shot of mine as loaded for vacation this summer, pretty close to sorted out.

touratech racks, wolfman expedition bags and enduro tankbag, custom made bottle holders for my 1.5 liter fuel bottles, a pair of cheap molle pouches from a gun case. the pack behind the saddle is my tent. Im hoping to do 3000 miles or so over 7 days, with a BMW rally in the middle.
Looks pretty sweet. My setup is very similar.
690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #8388
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmnz View Post
Looks like you have a Kouba link fitted but you haven't raised the forks. I have a Kouba link on my bike and it was pretty easy to raise the forks about 15 mm. Tiny bit lower seat height and no detrimental effect on handling. If anything it's a bit better with the forks raised.
Could you expand on this lowering business? I'm average height (6'1") but my 2010 690 is difficult to get on and off. I have to climb it like a horse. So, how much is it lowered, and does it affect the handling or ability to go over bumps? I might need to do this if there's no real penalty. If there's already a thread about all this, please point me to it.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #8389
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
....I hit the starter button and nothing, not a grunt, not a click, NADA. The headlight was on and SEEMED OK, .............
OK, keep this quiet, but something similar happened to me after I had been topping up the front brake reservoir. Turned the ignition, headlight on but nothing else! F**K. Took the seat off, checked the fuses, twiddled all the wires I could see, sprayed everything with WD40 and put the battery on charge over night and read up on how to use a multi meter. Next day after no result with the charged battery, I stood there looking at the bike and just happened to glance at the kill switch - yes , you've guessed it, i'd knocked the thing off when I was farting about with the brake reservoir

For God's sake don't tell anyone.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #8390
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
No skid plate?
YET... I'm not quite done yet

Quote:
Nice setup. I'll probably end up with something similar except I will go for Wolfman racks. BTW why the centre stand?

Centerstands make loading and unloading a bike on the road a little easier, and make it easier to tinker in the garage, never mind change a tire on the road

Looks like you have a Kouba link fitted but you haven't raised the forks. I have a Kouba link on my bike and it was pretty easy to raise the forks about 15 mm. Tiny bit lower seat height and no detrimental effect on handling. If anything it's a bit better with the forks raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Could you expand on this lowering business? I'm average height (6'1") but my 2010 690 is difficult to get on and off. I have to climb it like a horse. So, how much is it lowered, and does it affect the handling or ability to go over bumps? I might need to do this if there's no real penalty. If there's already a thread about all this, please point me to it.
i lowered the rear 1 inch, and left the front at full height. while i MAY drop it a little, i like the steering slowed down a bit as it is.
lightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #8391
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
have ordered a new one to check.
If you wind up with redundant working instrument clusters, let me know. I need one - white powder from hell, and flickering LCDs so bad I never know how much too fast I'm going.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #8392
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
If you wind up with redundant working instrument clusters, let me know. I need one - white powder from hell, and flickering LCDs so bad I never know how much too fast I'm going.
Do you have the 690r instrument cluster? It is the little one, not the one that came on the 2008 model. Have not heard of any white powder problems with the 2009 690r clusters.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #8393
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
heres a quick shot of mine as loaded for vacation this summer, pretty close to sorted out.

touratech racks, wolfman expedition bags and enduro tankbag, custom made bottle holders for my 1.5 liter fuel bottles, a pair of cheap molle pouches from a gun case. the pack behind the saddle is my tent. Im hoping to do 3000 miles or so over 7 days, with a BMW rally in the middle.
I like it, so no issues with the upper hand grip bolts? I've been looking for an option and have done the upper/lower tank bolt upgrade. Worrying about those hand grip bolts has kept me from buying any luggage.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #8394
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Quote:
i lowered the rear 1 inch, and left the front at full height. while i MAY drop it a little, i like the steering slowed down a bit as it is.
How did you do it?

Never mind....found it.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #8395
davidmnz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I'm 182 cm (6') and I couldn't live with being on tip toes so I had to lower the bike. I got the longer Kouba link which lowers the seat about 25 mm (1"). Lowering links are a compromise because they do affect how the rear suspension works. Many people hate them but I'm happy because I'm not a fast rider. Roughly speaking the longer link softens the rear suspension.

For me the lowering link was a major plus because it improved my confidence in the gnarly, slow stuff where previously I was scared of tipping over because I couldn't get my foot down. It's a relatively cheap fix anyway so might be worth just trying it.

On tarmac I noticed that the bike didn't turn as well as it used to. This was one reason I also raised the forks.
davidmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #8396
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Quote:
I'm 182 cm (6') and I couldn't live with being on tip toes so I had to lower the bike. I got the longer Kouba link which lowers the seat about 25 mm (1"). Lowering links are a compromise because they do affect how the rear suspension works. Many people hate them but I'm happy because I'm not a fast rider. Roughly speaking the longer link softens the rear suspension.

For me the lowering link was a major plus because it improved my confidence in the gnarly, slow stuff where previously I was scared of tipping over because I couldn't get my foot down. It's a relatively cheap fix anyway so might be worth just trying it.

On tarmac I noticed that the bike didn't turn as well as it used to. This was one reason I also raised the forks.
Excellent. I'll order one and try it out.
Thanks.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #8397
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
sorry to ask, but...

At risk of raising the ire of some grumpy veterans (who I appreciate greatly), and at risk of being call an old lady, I have an air filter question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
You go to ktmtwins.com....You buy the filter... http://www.ktmtwins.com/690smc/nu-1417.html

You put it in the bike....You have no more dust..You stop whining like an old lady....

Honestly this was covered a long time ago.....if you still have a paper filter you have no one to blame but yourself....

end of rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
I need to upgrade and I like the idea of clearing out the airbox to add a pod - either the K&N or the small UNI pod.

But this is primarily to make extra storage space, not so much of a performance upgrade. I'd call it a 'nice to have', not essential.

My concern with this is what I'm reading about wet weather and possibly river crossings. I live in the Pacific Northwet, it rains 9 months a year here.

How much of an issue is it with these types of filters?

I believe Bobzilla has the uni pod, or perhaps that's outdated info. But I know he's also in a dry climate.

Aside from the rain, my only other concern is the fuel economy. Noah had mentioned in his thread last Sept that he thought he was getting a 20% decrease with the RR setup and was going to go back to a snorkel setup. Perhaps that's more to do with mapping than anything else.

I may just get the twin UNI filter and be done with it if that's the simplest/low risk thing to do. But if the concerns about wet weather and the smaller pods are exaggerated, maybe I'll go that route.

Would appreciate any input on that.

thx

Cord

CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #8398
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post

At risk of raising the ire of some grumpy veterans (who I appreciate greatly), and at risk of being call an old lady, I have an air filter question.
I have just replaced my RR Twin Air kit with a Unifilter - the RR Twin Air filter is very loud, which bothers some people but I was OK with it - the RR Twin Air filter definitely has better throttle response than the Unifilter - I didn't notice any difference at all in fuel consumption with the RR Twin Air filter, although it does feel much more sporty and for that reason you feel more tempted to slide around ...

I replaced the RR Twin Air filter as (in my opinion) it is just too exposed without a full rally or ADV fairing (eg the RR product) - the problem is exacerbated if you fit the RR Evo-2 tanks without the fairing (as I did) - in doing that, you need to remove the plastic that extends from around the ignition key down the sides - when you do that, you can stand in front of the bike and just look at the RR Twin Air filter - this means that dust and rain goes straight onto it ...

Not tenable in my view ...

Thought about fabricating some protection that fitted around the front and shielded the filter but (like yourself) had also been concerned about how exposed to flooding I would be if I laid the bike down in a creek ...

So, replaced the whole assembly with the Unifilter alternative - which retains the plastic snorkel - all OK, but miss that bark and throttle response - this big motor needs to breathe ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #8399
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 276
The suggestion from the board to weld on a big washer to the kickstand foot worked out well. I had a welder cut 3/4" off the kickstand leg and then weld a 2 1/4" steel washer to the foot.

My welder friend is good! Lowered the triple clamps 1/2" tonight too. Ride tomorrow!

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #8400
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Do you have the 690r instrument cluster? It is the little one, not the one that came on the 2008 model. Have not heard of any white powder problems with the 2009 690r clusters.
Nope, 2008 Enduro.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote