ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #3871
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey all,

So, some of us BAARCers and SFMCers will be at Hollister Hills OHV Park on Friday, April 26th thru Sunday, April 28 ... for our annual Sheetiron Tune Up and birthday party ...

We'll be taking a group photo at 5 pm on Saturday in the Madrone Campground, and this Airstream should be there, starting Friday ...

There will be birthday cake for our mascot, AJ Murphy, who is in middle school, I guess, and is a good dirtbike and flat track racer ... We get together every year for AJ's birthday at Hollister, it is a fun time, and Clay, AJ's dad, says "no gifts!", so you all are invited, and would be very welcome ...

Mike, the Airstream guy, also plays the guitar around the campfire, which is fun ...

Also, we'll be showing MotoGP Austin at the clubhouse at 18th and Folsom starting at 4 pm on Sunday, April 21st ... I won't be there this Sunday, but motorcycle people and BAARCers and ADVers are welcome ... MotoGP at 6 pm ...

And we have weekly meetings at the clubhouse every Thursday ... I'll be there tonight ... everything a motorcyclist may wish to quaff at our fountain, KLR prices ... ha. Doors open around 7pm ...

OK, that's one way to keep my post count low ... double ha.

If you click on this pic, it will take you to more pics of a trip a few SFMCers did recently to Mercey Hot Springs, Clear Creek and Carrizo:
DSCN9899
A KLR, DR650 and KTM 690 ...

Hey, if you live in San Francisco, and are a motorcycle person, the SFMC is basically your club ... we've been around since 1904, and at 18th St and Folsom since 1947 ... we're always happy to see motorcycle people!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
2013 SFMC President
Nice pictures.
Good to know my BRP would fit in the group.
Is that camp site at Panoche Hills? I didn't know it was out there.
Is it near Mercy Hotsprings?
I've been across that road coming across from hwy 49 a few times but it has been over 10 years since the last run.
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #3872
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
SFMCJohn - That photo looks awesome! I was just down that way a couple of weeks ago, but nothing I rode on was as cool looking as the trail in that photo. Care to post tracks?
I know that this conversation has been had before, but I thought that the Panoche Hills were off limits to motorcycles, quads, etc. (open only to cars/trucks on existing roads). Has something changed?

Perhaps a plated bike is not considered as a motorcycle in Panoche Hills?
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #3873
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
I know that this conversation has been had before, but I thought that the Panoche Hills were off limits to motorcycles, quads, etc. (open only to cars/trucks on existing roads). Has something changed?

I see a license plate on that last bike in the pic, if it is ok for cars and trucks I guess it is ok for all plated vehicles. I know some of the roads around\through CC were opened up, just not positive which ones and the last time I went through there it wasn't like any of the trails I saw running off the main road had "closed" signs on them. Was too chicken to do any of the trails off the main road, last thing I needed was another ticket from big brother.

Fasttrak
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #3874
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
SFMCJohn - That photo looks awesome! I was just down that way a couple of weeks ago, but nothing I rode on was as cool looking as the trail in that photo. Care to post tracks?
Hi leo_jb,

It's the BLM land in Panoche Hills ... closed now for fire season between April and October ... no tracks, I'm still a map luddite ... It is a fairly small area, used mostly by guys who want to shoot guns, and by wildflower viewers, during a good wildflower year ... oh, and to graze sheep ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Nice pictures.
Good to know my BRP would fit in the group.
Is that camp site at Panoche Hills? I didn't know it was out there.
Is it near Mercy Hotsprings?
I've been across that road coming across from hwy 49 a few times but it has been over 10 years since the last run.
Hi woodsxr,
You'd be the bad-ass on the kick-start BRP ...

The Airstream is Hollister Hills ... the campsites in the linked photos are at Mercey Hot Springs and the Carrizo Plains ... the BLM land in the riding photo is near Mercey Hot Springs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
I see a license plate on that last bike in the pic, if it is ok for cars and trucks I guess it is ok for all plated vehicles. I know some of the roads around\through CC were opened up, just not positive which ones and the last time I went through there it wasn't like any of the trails I saw running off the main road had "closed" signs on them. Was too chicken to do any of the trails off the main road, last thing I needed was another ticket from big brother.

Fasttrak
Hi r3r3r and Fasttrak,

I've heard that Panoch Hills was closed to bikes, too ... most BLM and National Forest areas I'm familiar with, when they say "no motorcycles" they really mean "no dirtbikes" ... we stay on established roads and have not had a problem, but YMMV ...

They are going to go to some crazy permit/day-limit-per-year thing in Clear Creek ... not sure about the wonderful county roads thrugh Clear Creek, I'm getting the impression the BLM is going to grab them and "close" them to the through-riding I've done there over the years ...

Supporting my motorcycle/dirtbike confusion hypothesis, however, is the fact that the BLM uses the phrase "registered vehicles" in their most recent Clear Creek plans ... as in "only registered vehicles may use established routes" ... in other words, no OHVs ... so, if I have a plate, I can go anywhere a jeep can go on BLM land.

It was ever thus ... my old time dirt bike buddies love to tell me how they rode all over the Bay Area on their dirt bikes ...

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #3875
Farkleberry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
Well, don't take it to CalMoto. Their service dept sucks.
Now I'm worried. That's where I take my bike. What's wrong with the service?
Farkleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #3876
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkleberry View Post
I admit to my share of blame in this tale -- I requested a goodwill replacement of a known bad part (MFG knows this part fails, it's part of the DOT required safety equipment, they have a redesigned part) -- and the service dept. said "OK, yeah, we'll submit the warranty claim to the MFG.".

Weeks turn into months, I don't hear anything. So I call. They say "Oh, yeah, didn't you get the email? We need pictures." So I send them pictures. Yet more weeks turn into yet more months. I call again. They tell me they need the pictures again. So I send them again. Weeks turn into months AGAIN and I don't hear anything, so I call. They say that the "duplicate request" has been denied because the first request was fulfilled already. WTF? So, now I don't have the part, and the MFG thinks I already received one.

This is a $400 part, so I went to Scuderia to find out WTF, and they declined to "rat out" another dealer, and suggested I take it up again with them.

I absolutely should have been more persistent, and kept them on a much shorter leash. BUT, imho... I should HAVE to keep my vendors on any kind of leash, they should be proactive in contacting me when IMPORTANT SHIT happens, like the MFG declining my warranty claim.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #3877
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkleberry View Post
They've damaged my bikes twice. And they're grossly incompetent.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #3878
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Just an FYI on Panoche Hills.

We contacted the Hollister BLM Field Office a couple years ago before a
ride down there for some clear info on motorcycles in Panoche Hills.

We were told no motorcycles allowed in there period, plated or not.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #3879
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Just an FYI on Panoche Hills.

We contacted the Hollister BLM Field Office a couple years ago before a
ride down there for some clear info on motorcycles in Panoche Hills.

We were told no motorcycles allowed in there period, plated or not.

They can't do that and don't have the authority to even say it. If a registered car is allowed, then so is a registered and plated motorcycle. Only private land and HOA's can exclude vehicles based on type of said vehicle.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #3880
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,449
Tell that to the guy with the smart uniform and gun. Sometimes being right doesn't make a damn bit of difference.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #3881
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Tell that to the guy with the smart uniform and gun. Sometimes being right doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

I don't see that guy?

Sometimes taking a stand is the right thing to do...damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #3882
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
The guy with the badge doesn't decide what's legal - the judge does.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #3883
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
The BLM Hollister Field Office is corrupt.

Rick Cooper should be put in jail for denying the public access to their
own land.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #3884
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,456
Larry Boy and his buds are coming to town, watch out Dick Cooper.

Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #3885
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Sometimes taking a stand is the right thing to do...damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!
"They fought back to back and picked each other up and fought again. At noon Rawlins could not chew.
They are going to kill us, he said.
John Grady mashed beans in a tin can with water till he'd made a gruel out of it and pushed it at Rawlins.
You listen to me. Dont you let em think they aint goin to have to. I intend to make em kill me. I wont take nothin less ... "

Ha. All in good fun ... apologies to Cormac McCarthy ...

So. Let's Ride! Who's going to Hollister on April 26, 27 or 28th? Who's going to be in Stonyford for the Sheetiron on Friday, May 17th?

BAARC forever!

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote