User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
Bandit240 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
An update

Ive got it all pulled down to the bare frame. The frame paint is nice except for a few small spots. I don't really want to paint the whole frame, but i think im going to have to in order to make it look right if i want to paint those spots. The swingarm and triple tree are going to need painting, so i might as well do it all. Haven't done alot with the engine yet. Need to order rings for it, ive got a good cylinder and piston from the parts bike. Also going to need tires. Im thinking trials type tires for now. (Plus ive already got one decent looking trials tire from the parts bike). I will need DOT rated tires at some point for it.

Ill get pictures tomorrow, cold in the shop right now.
Bandit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #32
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,187
I see this is an old thread but I just picked up the same bike. What a cool little machine!

Pics here.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #33
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
I see this is an old thread but I just picked up the same bike. What a cool little machine!

Pics here.
Are you that big jwalters or are those bikes that much smaller than I remember

I had a 71 as my first bike,my best friend had the same green(and slower) 72 model.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #34
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Former football player. 6'8" 300lbs. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #35
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,360
That was my first bike, my brother still has it I may pick it up next year and restore it

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #36
deaninkl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Bandit240, I satrted my biking life in 1976 on a Suzuki TS90, very similar to your TC, fun bike and the start of 36 years of fun so far.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #37
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

It's interesting. My TC90 has a TC100 engine in the frame. Apparently, the engines were a pretty simple swap. I didn't notice it till the PO showed me the engine number and the frame numbers.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #38
mach1charlie
To old to fall off

Oddometer: 27
Ts 100

Was my first bike, If youtook off the carb cover on engine and put on the choke it picked up 5 HP, felt like it in the driveway.
mach1charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #39
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Hi Guys, I hope you don't mind me hijacking/reviving an old thread.

Quick question for you TC90/TC100 owners. On the carb, there is a fuel line and another (what appears to be) vacuum line on the side of the carb that goes into the crank somewhere. The PO of my bike has long since removed the oil res and oil injectors, so it's premix only now. I have a feeling that mysterious vacuum line was for the oil injection system, but I'm not sure. Can someone confirm this? Instead of capping it at the carb, the PO left the hose on the bike and capped it near where the old oil tank sat. Of course, the hose has dry rotted now, and I think I'm getting an air leak through this hose. Unfortunately, I'm not home to confirm my theory just yet, so I thought I'd see what the internet has to say about it first! Thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #40
kwight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Hi Guys, I hope you don't mind me hijacking/reviving an old thread.Thanks!
I took a look at mine tonight and you are right, one is the gas, the other is the oil injection.

I paid twice what you did for mine but it is much more complete and was a barn find of 20 years.

Good luck with yours and look forward to seeing more.

Kevin
kwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #41
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:
Hi Guys, I hope you don't mind me hijacking/reviving an old thread.

Quick question for you TC90/TC100 owners. On the carb, there is a fuel line and another (what appears to be) vacuum line on the side of the carb that goes into the crank somewhere. The PO of my bike has long since removed the oil res and oil injectors, so it's premix only now. I have a feeling that mysterious vacuum line was for the oil injection system, but I'm not sure. Can someone confirm this? Instead of capping it at the carb, the PO left the hose on the bike and capped it near where the old oil tank sat. Of course, the hose has dry rotted now, and I think I'm getting an air leak through this hose. Unfortunately, I'm not home to confirm my theory just yet, so I thought I'd see what the internet has to say about it first! Thanks!
suzuki used an oil injection system named cci, crankcase injection, on these bikes. it oiled the main bearings directly. it is not a good idea to convert these to premix.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #42
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Thanks for the input Willis. I've had other 2 strokes that also suffered from PO's removing the oil injectors. As you say, it's detrimental to the crank and other engine internals. Unfortunately, the PO did the modification, so I'll keep scouring Ebay for an oil tank (or make one). I think I"m just going to tear this engine down this summer fall and start from scratch.

Of course, now I'm wondering if the cracked oil lines coming off the oil injector aren't causing a crank case leak.... Mmm. I need to get my intake adapter made, so I can use my Motion Pro leakdown test to confirm. Thanks ya'll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
suzuki used an oil injection system named cci, crankcase injection, on these bikes. it oiled the main bearings directly. it is not a good idea to convert these to premix.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #43
Red0ktober
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Hey guys, nice to see an active thread going on these bikes. When I was a kid I talked my dad into bringing his old TC120 back from his parents shed in Montana where it sat for a couple decades. I played with it for a while, then let it sit in my dad's barn for another decade.

I wanted to get my dad back into motorcycling, so I figured fixing his old Suzuki would be a good start (turns out I was able to talk him into buying a used DL650 like mine for a trip last year and all went well, anyway...). I found another TC120 on CL and went to buy it as a parts bike for my dad's. I came home with two bikes, the TC120 and a TC90R (guess what I rode to work today).

I have my bike licensed and insured*, and I sneak around my little town on it, but the lights aren't working. I'm trying to find a headlight housing that will take a standard round sealed beam, without having to hack up anything on the bike. Any ideas on that?

*insurance on this bike is less than the multi-vehicle discount it gives me, so it's effectively lowering my V-Strom's insurance.
Red0ktober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #44
BigVicProton
n00b

Oddometer: 2
hmmmm

What do you mean by sucks air on induction? I have a '74 TC100 and it runs great, but only with the side plate covering the carbs off. put it on and it will bog and die when you give it throttle. Carb is clean and gas is clean...so maybe its this induction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasy's BIGJIM View Post
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Yeah that's the way Mate. These lil Wounders will run and run and run and run. BUT if it sucks air on Induction Your Motor will run like crap. More than that it will trick you! Listen Mate just a Thought that’s possibly Piston Slap (the skirt slaps the bore) those marks under the port? Just check the little end bearing (in Piston) and the Big End (on Crank). All you have to do is see if the Piston Rocks sideways and also any movement up and down? Jam the Fly Wheel to check the latter. Are those Marks Blue in the Bore? If so, again poor Induction, or Bad Pipe (you have to clean them you know)? Or no oil, or Flogged-I've seen these Pull Fire Wood so I doubt it? I love this good on-yu. You will have fun. I wish I lived nearby. I'd love to Ride one again. Yeah 30 odd years and 40kilos on... [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Jim. [/FONT]
BigVicProton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #45
Red0ktober
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
My tiddler quit running! No spark! I tried a known good coil off my dad's TC120 which hasn't been run in a decade, but I tested it for spark before I pulled it. Looks like the HT lead on the TC90 coil was damaged, but it's been working this long.

I have not tested the ignition switch yet, simplest things first, I know...

Other than that, I don't know how to troubleshoot these old ignition systems. Any tips?
Red0ktober is offline   Reply With Quote