Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #2041
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
I'd keep it and putter about on it when the opportunities present themselves. It's far better to have a bike when you can't use it than to not have a bike when you can. IMO and all, but I've been flying public transport here in Tokyo for the last couple of decades. Not having a bike blows.

Keep her.
That ^

Plus its a tangible asset. That can be sold for a few bucks if you ever get in a pinch. ( That's how I describe all my toys !)
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #2042
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Thanks guys,
Even the wifey says keep her. I plotted a route on my laptop a few weeks ago and sent it to my gps and I think I might do it tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #2043
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Don't do it unless you absolutely need the cash. I've sold too many perfectly good, personalized bikes sometimes because of "no time to ride", and sometimes just because I'm a bike whore. With a great all arounder like the Sertao, especially one you have just setup, I think you will regret it big time. Sounds bad but it's the perfect bike to have around if you don't have much time to ride....it will do a lot of different things when you finally get a free day, and it's a backup vehicle. Of course if you need the money for something legit, you won't have regrets. Still, Nothing wrong with having a low mileage bike around!

Mine only has 100 something on it but I'd rather let it rot in my garage than have a nice day and no bike. My bro has a rule for bikes....need to ride at least a mile per dollar you paid for it before its ok to move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
You guys are going to kill me. I haven't been riding at all since my 100 mile breakfast ride:( I manage an estate and that is slow right now but I took on a little side job running a cool little bicycle shop nearby, so I have been busy building bikes and getting the spring orders in. I haven't even been pedalling
I did feel on that ride however, that the ride didn't feel any stiffer other than the resistance to diving. Progressive springs are supposed to feel like stock initially and that is about what I have experienced so far.
I had the fender on since last year. I only rode it a few times without it at first and it does help a little in keeping some of the shit off the boots. Better but not completely. I'll take it. The big(er) difference for me is the reduced amount of spray that comes up in front that used to really plaster the headlight. Much better now. And since I don't bushwhack I don't have radiator guards so the fender keeps stones from spitting up into the front of the bike.

But if I don't ride this poor bike this summer I think I might sell it. I hate keeping things like this that I don't use. It's not fair to the bike. Between my young family, riding my bicycles and working (a little:) I don't see how I'm going to get any time on it. And I just spent all that money

Gundy screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 02:54 AM
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #2044
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Don't do it unless you absolutely need the cash.
And even then, think twice. Long ago in another life, I sold an immaculate '79 RD400 Daytona Special with Spec II chambers to pay the rent. Some 25 years later, I still regret it.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #2045
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
My bro has a rule for bikes....need to ride at least a mile per dollar you paid for it before its ok to move on
Not that I'm selling but I love that rule...
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #2046
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,790
That is a good motto . Im going to miss mine . I wont see it until February !

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #2047
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I swapped my K60s for D606s recently to decide if I wanted to run a set on the WABDR this fall. I'm noticing a small amount of vibration as I begin to initiate a turn. After the first couple degrees of lean it stops, and then it returns as I exit the turn and bring the bike back up. I can't see any wear on the tire or any spot on the bike it might be rubbing. First time with tires this agressive on Serts. Would the tread pattern be responsible for the vibration?

PS I'm a big fan of that rule as well.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #2048
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
February?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
That is a good motto . Im going to miss mine . I wont see it until February !
Wow!

You mean you actually have to work in between all your conquests?! And I though that you have found the golden egg. Silly me . Well, I am sure your love for the motto will grow stronger with time.

Jokes aside, I think what you are doing is amazing. I guess, I vicariously enjoy motorcycling through your adventures. You are so many levels above me that it is not even possible to compare. I used to ride and work on bikes, when I was young. After a 27 year break, I bought the Sertao (after owning a CBR250R/A for 6 weeks) so I can take my wife for nice weekend rides. I always liked the enduro bikes better than street and I wanted the ABS, hence the Sertao. My off-roading will probably be no more than going from the pavement to the closest picnic table. Maybe a few stairs here and there, or some dry dirt road. I never was and never will be at your level, but I sure do appreciate what you do and enjoy watching your videos.

Hope you have some other bikes at home to hold you over till February .

Have a safe flight home.

windowto screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 09:35 AM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #2049
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,790
Yea work and family. One of my friends is heading to Panama this summer we will be heading to Colombia some time in February he is on a Dr650 which he has stored in Mexico city. .alskee when are you heading down?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #2050
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Have any of you guys mounted a gopro on the Sertao yet?

If yes, where did you put and what's the vibration like?

I have a mount on my helmet but there's only a few places up front you can mount it to the bike (windshield, beak, beside the signal light below the windshield).

The windshield has too much vibration but I'm not sure about the beak. Beside the left signal light looks solid too but it obstructs the signal light.

Any ideas?
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #2051
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for all the kind words and advice on keeping the bike. At least for now I've been starting her once a week and running a fan cycle
If I had the money I'd have every bike I ever owned. Except for a 90' KTM 300 EXC and the 06' KTM 640A.... Oh, and the 05' 525 idiot sled. I bought it used from some rich puke and tried to turn it into a real dual-sport. Baja Designs kit and $2,600 later it wouldn't start with the button, and it was bitch to kick. I hated that. The first guy put an auto in it which is good in the woods, but when you down shift on pavement with an auto the wheel locks for a mili-second, which will kill your tranny. He didn't have the stock clutch so I hated that too. Frequent oil changes and maintenance; Not good. I think KTM's are awesome woods bikes. Aside from Husaberg (KTM) they're the best. But every KTM made is a race bike at heart. I wouldn't ever get a 990 no matter what those guys put them through. A good example is "Long Way Round" I bet Charlie Boorman is sure glad they went with BMW. I almost bought the 12' 690. So glad I didn't.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #2052
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Yes

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #2053
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Yea work and family. One of my friends is heading to Panama this summer we will be heading to Colombia some time in February he is on a Dr650 which he has stored in Mexico city. .alskee when are you heading down?
Swamp, I'm in your boat as well between work/fam it's hard to get away for a lengthy time. I wont even give a date as it's an idea that has been lurking for quite sometime but $$/work is what's holding me back. I have some freelance work in the works if that can pan through then it will make life easier. But I dig your style! Your idea, your ride... Really awesome.

At least I have the TAT to look forward to in the meantime. Oh, as well as sharing your adventure... keep at it.... I'm definetly throwing the idea out there. I believe if you see yourself doing something its bound to happen - my way of thinking...

Looking forward hearing more...
Soto Moto Adventures
Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #2054
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
I swapped my K60s for D606s recently to decide if I wanted to run a set on the WABDR this fall. I'm noticing a small amount of vibration as I begin to initiate a turn. After the first couple degrees of lean it stops, and then it returns as I exit the turn and bring the bike back up. I can't see any wear on the tire or any spot on the bike it might be rubbing. First time with tires this agressive on Serts. Would the tread pattern be responsible for the vibration?

PS I'm a big fan of that rule as well.
Zbone

I swapped from k60's to Big Blocks and I'm feeling the same thing. Pretty normal from memory. Give it sometime for them to break in...

Good info
Click here
Soto Moto Adventures
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #2055
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Zbone

I swapped from k60's to Big Blocks and I'm feeling the same thing. Pretty normal from memory. Give it sometime for them to break in...

Good info
Click here
+1
Any full knobblie is going to vibrate at different speeds, lean angles, etc. I ran Pirelli MT 21's on my bastard KTM 525 and they did not vibe, but they were just this side of a true knob. Although, I know some nut-jobs that adhere to CT DOT laws that have them on their woods bikes and have ridden up here in VT with me in the gnar and they made it
The MT 21's did howl at speed though, but don't all knobbers anyway? That just lets you know that you have some dirt traction goin' on
I felt safest pushing the Pirelli's on the road too.
If Max sold Pirelli's I might have gotten something from them, but I got the K60's and actually, I like them. For pavement and dirt roads. I do not like the thought of changing a flat though. What a stiff bugger. That's why once TuBliss comes out with the DOT version I'm all signed up.
Back to Pirelli's. They are the only tire I run here on the right coast. MT 16 rear (120) is the best! The MT 16 front is good too. Or the XCMS (the old MT 32) front. The Bridgestone M59 front is an awesome woods tire here too though, and the Dunlop 803 trials rear is flat amazing!
Where was I?!
Knobs vibrate and wiggle on pavement. And make noise
Till they're bald