Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #2356
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
am I the first to get a used TR ? - I just picked one up at the very tender age of only 2 months old with a mere 310 miles
- it came with a skid plate, MSR handguards and heated grips all factory fitted.

I had to get it before KTM raised the price

now - for the first time - I have to wear in a new engine - but it's still fun

AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #2357
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
am I the first to get a used TR ? - I just picked one up at the very tender age of only 2 months old with a mere 310 miles
- it came with a skid plate, MSR handguards and heated grips all factory fitted.

I had to get it before KTM raised the price

now - for the first time - I have to wear in a new engine - but it's still fun

Finally something worth reading! You may be the first on here to get a used one. Do you know why they sold it?
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #2358
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
You're gonna be able to find them for a lot less than that. I don't know what KTM is gonna do with a BMW engined bike five years from now, but I sure wouldn't want to be the one holding the title.
If you want a good investment, don't buy a motorbike, if you do, don't buy an adv motorbike, if you do, don't buy the cheapest adv motorbike on the market, and if you do, don't ride it. On the other hand, this is advrider,com not tightarsemoneysaver.com. Since when has making a sound financial decision had any place in the reasoning behind a new motorbike purchase. Get out there and ride.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #2359
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Finally something worth reading! You may be the first on here to get a used one. Do you know why they sold it?
Sorry to disappoint - it was just a divorce and the guy needed to dump the bike. I felt bad for about 2 seconds but by the next stop sign I was good :)
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #2360
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
If you want a good investment, don't buy a motorbike, if you do, don't buy an adv motorbike, if you do, don't buy the cheapest adv motorbike on the market, and if you do, don't ride it. On the other hand, this is advrider,com not tightarsemoneysaver.com. Since when has making a sound financial decision had any place in the reasoning behind a new motorbike purchase. Get out there and ride.
^^^ This right here is some of the funniest shit I've read in a long time. Funny but true. This should be moved to the famous quotes thread.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #2361
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
Sorry to disappoint - it was just a divorce and the guy needed to dump the bike. I felt bad for about 2 seconds but by the next stop sign I was good :)
I love divorce sales. I always feel bad for the poor schmuck selling his stuff, but the great prices make me get over it really quickly.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #2362
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Why would you care about a reflash in a few years? I understand the current flash is OK,

Regards, Paul
Good point. I'm sure I can find a dealer able to do the current update. From reading CafeHusky.com, sounds like about half the Husky dealers can't figure out BMW's MOSS tool for software updates. Does seem to be a stellar bike for the money.

Another thought is this is a $6k bike, not $20k. The risk factor is pretty low.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #2363
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
My rant wasn't directed at you, as I haven't seen any posts of yours debating the future of the bike. Pull out your reading glasses grandpa and get with the program.

If you believe the Union reps at Husqvarna, they have been told the production will stop 8-1-13. http://www3.varesenews.it/varese/fio...to-260671.html

Between the two Husqvarna threads and 3,000 posts, mainly telling each other how great the bike is, you can stand a bit of reality.

If you are aware of what is likely to happen and want the bike, buy it. If you can't change a tire maybe it is not the bike for you. Do you have something against full disclosure?

The major differences between the G650 and the Huskey models is piston, cams, head, plastics and software. All but software and plastics, should be interchangeable with a gs650 in a pinch.

Pierer has said he will honor the 10 year parts "law". You won't find that law in the US. It is most likely a trade agreement under the auspices of the World Trade organization. It is civil law, I see no reason to not believe Pierer, but you won't have any recourse as an individual, if he does not honor it.

My dealer was not aware of price reductions. I got the feeling that is only for dealers chosen to continue the Husqvarna line. The others will eat their stock. There could be dealers forced out because dealerships usually come with territory and do not overlap.

Pierer is majority owner of KTM though holding Huskey privately. KTM may make demands on dealers. They did so with mine.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #2364
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 152
So they've got a shed load of bikes they want to sell instead of adding more to the collection. Makes sense.

The Terra & Strada can still be assembled in India no?

Restructure to cut costs. Pick bikes that will sell. Sell them. Profit.

I think the Terra/Strada is a winner but I'm biased. I've got mine
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #2365
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post

Just buy a 2nd one on clearance, and you'll always have "spares".

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #2366
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
If you believe the Union reps at Husqvarna, they have been told the production will stop 8-1-13. http://www3.varesenews.it/varese/fio...to-260671.html

Between the two Husqvarna threads and 3,000 posts, mainly telling each other how great the bike is, you can stand a bit of reality.

If you are aware of what is likely to happen and want the bike, buy it. If you can't change a tire maybe it is not the bike for you. Do you have something against full disclosure?
I am already getting close to 4k miles on mine. All I'm saying is some of us are getting tired of the constant debating about whats going to happen. It doesn't matter who is right or who is wrong, this isn't a debate to win. And none of us can do anything about what will happen to the TR650.

Let's move on to some other discussion.

You people are like a bunch of lunatics screaming about the sky falling. If you don't want to buy a Terra, don't buy it. If you want to get one while you still can, go buy it and ride the piss out of it. And post up pictures of yourself enjoying it, working on it, putting on farkles, etc, so this thread can grow into what its supposed to be instead of some CNN/FOX news style bulls***.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #2367
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
Funny I feel the same way with posters pulling facts out of their ass to prove it will be business as usual. At least I attach where and who my source is.

I have NEVER said don't buy it. I don't think it is for every one. All you need to do is read some of the questions and it will dawn on you, not everyone has the mechanical skills to keep an orphan bike running, if it comes to that.

The average reader rarely goes beyond a page or 2. I don't post everyday like some of you.

You want to keep me from posting? Tell us how great your bike is without all the sanctimonious whining.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #2368
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,012
Quote:
All I'm saying is some of us are getting tired of the constant debating about whats going to happen. It doesn't matter who is right or who is wrong, this isn't a debate to win. And none of us can do anything about what will happen to the TR650.

Let's move on to some other discussion.

You people are like a bunch of lunatics screaming about the sky falling. If you don't want to buy a Terra, don't buy it. If you want to get one while you still can, go buy it and ride the piss out of it. And post up pictures of yourself enjoying it, working on it, putting on farkles, etc, so this thread can grow into what its supposed to be instead of some CNN/FOX news style bulls***.
You seem upset...

Let me try to talk you down off the cliff, cause this might be my fault: I have no idea if, or how many times this topic has been breached in this or any other thread. Searches here at ADVRider are cumbersome at best. If it is indeed a re-occurring topic, then perhaps where there's smoke there's fire?

I still am interested in this bike - have been since I saw the first new product announcements - and my very first fears when the Husqvarna sale was announced was, "Oh Crap...what's gonna happen with the Terra? They just hit this home run...and now this!".

I read closely the comments made in the interviews of Stephan Perrire (how ever that's spelled), looking for some good news about this particular bike and found nothing. So I came here, to where the real hands on experts reside wondering if perhaps ya'll had some inside skinny from the dealers themselves...or something. Anything.

Instead I got you. Dude...because I care: Calm The Fuck Down.

As a former Ducati (3) and KTM 950 (2) owner, and one who lives near NO euro bike dealers of any stripe, needless to say I am not the least bit afraid of maintaining my own rigs. But you didn't ask, you assumed...and look what happened!

My interest in this topic was piqued by Ari Henning's comments in the latest extremely favorable test of the Terra in Motorcyclist Magazine, where in spite of how wonderful the bike is, he expressed the same concerns. There's that smoke again.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #2369
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Hello all, just participating in the tread so it's easier to pull up. I was at the dealer today and pick up my terra Thursday! She is still in the crate. Does any one have any links to a bigger windscreen? And any one have opinions on crash bars/skid plates? Altrider vs oem?
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #2370
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
you guys realize that August is holiday month for most Italians... so if they're going to let the supply chain dwindle and slow / stop production to let warehouse populations get snapped up....that's a good month to do it.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote