ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #526
1911fan
Master of the Obvious
 
1911fan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
...15 minutes after we closed he left the front door open and some customers came in...
"Sorry guys, we're closed. See you on Tuesday." Also, employees off the clock is a bad idea- any accidents, and they're not punched in, complicates the L&I issue tremendously. If they are there, working, they need to be on the clock to protect the shop from liability.
You have also now trained those last two customers that it's ok to show up real late on a Saturday to get stuff done, because you've done it once. They'll do it again, and word will get out, and it'll happen more often.


1911fan
__________________
Read The Patriot Post -- It's Right. It's Free.
http://patriotpost.us/subscribe/

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #527
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
That customer is a dumbass showing up at or after closing to get tires put on, and a saturday no less screwing up your weekend. I hope never to be in that situation but if i was i would try to make it up to the guys staying late like getting them overtime pay.
Fixed! Or charge extra for the "after hours" service.

Any idiot who comes in after closing to get tires changed for a ride the next day is one you don't want. They'll continue to pull stupid crap like that.
"you stayed late for me the last time!"
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #528
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,781
I'm going to disagree. The owner of the store isn't the one that's setting a precedent. The customer is either respectful or isn't. If someone is up a creek and the owner keeps the doors open an extra hour to help out and I hear about it, I give that business as much of my business as I can because I know the owner (and staff) are good people. It doesn't mean though that I expect to come in after hours or late on a Saturday. It probably just means that the customer that was helped that day is going to order parts through them and consider their next bike purchase through them, not that they want to now take advantage of someone that forgot to lock the door. That's the kind of thing that makes customers come back (during normal business hours and look for things to buy).

Good on the owner and staff that was willing to help out a rider that needed a little extra help.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #529
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic
 
PFFOG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
Oddometer: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I'm going to disagree. The owner of the store isn't the one that's setting a precedent. The customer is either respectful or isn't. If someone is up a creek and the owner keeps the doors open an extra hour to help out and I hear about it, I give that business as much of my business as I can because I know the owner (and staff) are good people. It doesn't mean though that I expect to come in after hours or late on a Saturday. It probably just means that the customer that was helped that day is going to order parts through them and consider their next bike purchase through them, not that they want to now take advantage of someone that forgot to lock the door. That's the kind of thing that makes customers come back (during normal business hours and look for things to buy).

Good on the owner and staff that was willing to help out a rider that needed a little extra help.

BINGO!!!!!

There is a dealer like that about 60 miles from me, he gets all my local business. Test ride? he tosses you the keys, and says scrub the new tires in a little for me. One of the most personable people I know, regardless of how busy, when you talk to him he makes you feel like you are the only person in the store.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #530
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,451
Thank you...thank you...THANK YOU

When I said this in this thread, I got crucified by all the uptight and self righteous know-it-alls in this thread who insist they know how we should run our business

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
Customers judge dealers, and dealers judge customers. We are both in the market to make money to buy food and pay bills.

When a customer comes in for a $30 (labor) oil change, he/she is looking for a good deal. The shop is looking to do the job quick and turn a profit. A customer pulls up on a V-Star or HD with crap load of farkles and exhaust that have to be removed to access the filter. There is often a good chance bolts will be replaced cheap hardware store brands, things rusted, or exhaust rusted on. We don't make any money stripping the bike for just $30. We tell them outright that there will be an extra charge of $$ to remove/install the parts needed. At this point the customer is outraged that we are ripping him off.

We don't change tires on rims that have been painted or power coated. Can we do it? Sure. We do it all the time for good customers. But if we have never seen you before and you drop off a rim that has been badly painted with BBQ grill spray paint, we will turn you away. The chance the paint will nick and the cost of refinishing your rim are too high to be worth the $30 we charge to swap the tire.

Last week a van pulled up with a box of two Chinese mini quads. He wanted us to turn two bikes into one. I turned him away. Not only would it be near impossible to come up with a realistic estimate, I would be wasting hours trying to track down missing parts. The bikes got disassembled for some reason, so there is likely some engine or other problems with them. The cost to do this would be more then buying a new quad would be. He only wanted to spend about $200 and thought I was being a jerk to him for not taking on the job.

I will often turn down simple jobs. If it's so simple that the customer can do it themselves, but want us to do it, it often means something is screwed up. They tried to install it first, stripped or bent things, then bring it to us but don't tell us it's messed up. Then complain when the price goes up.

I rejected a job last week over the phone. The conversion had the words Harley Davidson and sticker in it. I am sorry but if you can't install a sticker on your HD, I am not going to. Then have to remove it because it's 1/4" too low and when I removed it, it peals the paint off the tank. I didn't say that over the phone, but I tried not to sound like a jerk.

It sounds really cruel, but I do judge every customer that walks into the door. If you appear to be more trouble then it's worth, I will send you away. It does not happen often, but it does happen.
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
00 KTM 640 ADV
01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #531
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,687
Someone who comes in at closing time to have tires mounted on a Saturday strikes me as being either disrespectful or one of those persons who is never on time for anything. He knew damn well that they needed changing a long time before, and just didn't bother to call and set something up. I'll bet that he brought his own new tires he bought cheap online, too. If he did that, I'd calculate the profit I'd have made selling the same tires and tack it onto the labor charge, then tell him my mechanic was on overtime after 6 PM and that the labor rate would be time and a half.

Those who are better customers would get a better deal, of course. They're the ones you want to come back often. Why go out of your way to encourage someone who will cost you money in the long run and is also a cheap bastard?

I respect small businessmen. They work longer hours than I ever had to, and in the end it pays off if you have a good rapport with them. They'll want to keep your business and you'll get preferential treatment.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #532
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: green bay, wi
Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I'm going to disagree. The owner of the store isn't the one that's setting a precedent. The customer is either respectful or isn't. If someone is up a creek and the owner keeps the doors open an extra hour to help out and I hear about it, I give that business as much of my business as I can because I know the owner (and staff) are good people. It doesn't mean though that I expect to come in after hours or late on a Saturday. It probably just means that the customer that was helped that day is going to order parts through them and consider their next bike purchase through them, not that they want to now take advantage of someone that forgot to lock the door. That's the kind of thing that makes customers come back (during normal business hours and look for things to buy).

Good on the owner and staff that was willing to help out a rider that needed a little extra help.
You are right on some things like i would be more loyal to a place that did that for me. The customer wasn't someone off the road needing a new tire to keep on with his trip, just someone that decided t his leisure to come in at closing expecting a hours worth of work to be done. These customers have no loyalty just what is best for them.

At work we close at noon on saturdays and i've had people call at 11;30 wanting to bring their truck in for something like a tune up or low power thats been all week and expect us to wait for them coming a hour away. These people have families or plans and i don't wanna keep them from that just so i can have something done that can wait till monday.
1greenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #533
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Someone who comes in at closing time to have tires mounted on a Saturday strikes me as being either disrespectful or one of those persons who is never on time for anything. He knew damn well that they needed changing a long time before, and just didn't bother to call and set something up. I'll bet that he brought his own new tires he bought cheap online, too. If he did that, I'd calculate the profit I'd have made selling the same tires and tack it onto the labor charge, then tell him my mechanic was on overtime after 6 PM and that the labor rate would be time and a half.

Those who are better customers would get a better deal, of course. They're the ones you want to come back often. Why go out of your way to encourage someone who will cost you money in the long run and is also a cheap bastard?

I respect small businessmen. They work longer hours than I ever had to, and in the end it pays off if you have a good rapport with them. They'll want to keep your business and you'll get preferential treatment.
This^^^

As for "better customers"... better customers wouldn't come in "after" closing and ask you to mount tires for a ride the next day. They will have come in during normal business hours.

Now, as always, there are exceptions to the every rule.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #534
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Several years ago I was on a quick day trip to Houston and since I had a bit of time before heading home decided to stop bye a mega-dealer to check out bikes. While there, a high-school kid and his mom come in. He was getting his first motorcycle. Yeah, you know where this is going... He would have nothing other than a GSXR1000. Yeah, I know they are cool and all, but really?

The salesman was doing all he could to get the kid on something else, as a last resort he offered the kid a pretty decent deal on a GSXR600. Just to keep him off the liter bike. Mom said the kid could have whatever so long as the money wasn't overspent, kid would have nothing other than a 1000. Oh, of course the kid had not been to any type of motorcycle training.

When the kid and mom went to finance I talked to the salesman for a bit. He seemed genuinely scared and told me "I hope I don't read about that kid in the news next week."

Obviously, I have no idea what ever happened. I hope it turned out well for the kid. Kudos to the salesman for trying.
When I went and took the MSF course at 20, I had already purchased my first bike, a used Ducati M600 for $2,000. Wide variety of people in the class, from kids to moms who had never used a clutch. Fat little rich kid's dad had bought him a brand new GSXR 750, which he had crashed twice since the 2 weeks he had it. He said the second crash was at 100mph in 3rd gear, but it wasn't that bad because he was in the dirt....

He was also the only person in the class that didn't pass.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #535
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DR Donk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Western Michigan
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
This^^^

As for "better customers"... better customers wouldn't come in "after" closing and ask you to mount tires for a ride the next day. They will have come in during normal business hours.

Now, as always, there are exceptions to the every rule.
I work at a place that is very accomadating to customers. We even stay open late for them. What do we get in return? Being taken advantage of by these same customers who know we will stay late for them! They go to other places that will chase them out at closing time and then come to us because, well, you know, we stay open after hours for them. Well, the good news is that is how we used to be but now have seen these "customers" for how they are, no more staying late for their benefit
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #536
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,781
Just a question, but how do you differentiate yourself from other shops? If the customer comes to you because they've gotten told to leave at closing time at other shops, why do they come to your shop, and what would make them come to your shop if you don't stay open late?
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #537
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DR Donk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Western Michigan
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Just a question, but how do you differentiate yourself from other shops? If the customer comes to you because they've gotten told to leave at closing time at other shops, why do they come to your shop, and what would make them come to your shop if you don't stay open late?
Well, actually, I work at a wholesale nursery. That is the reason customers are going to one nursery, then the next, because you can't carry all items a customer wants. But what I said is true, they were coming to us last knowing we would stay late for them.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #538
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer
 
eepeqez's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 2,068
I keep wondering whether over on www.advdealer.com this thread is titled "Things customers tell dealers" or "Things customers will believe"?
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #539
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
engineman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Eastern Iowa
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
When I went and took the MSF course at 20, I had already purchased my first bike, a used Ducati M600 for $2,000. Wide variety of people in the class, from kids to moms who had never used a clutch. Fat little rich kid's dad had bought him a brand new GSXR 750, which he had crashed twice since the 2 weeks he had it. He said the second crash was at 100mph in 3rd gear, but it wasn't that bad because he was in the dirt....

He was also the only person in the class that didn't pass.
I took a msf class in the early 90s in texas. 100 lb woman next to me had never ridden before but told me she was in the class because her husband just bought her a new Yamaha V-max. I guess he thought the bike would be cheaper than a divorce.:

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #540
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnen2 View Post
I took a msf class in the early 90s in texas. 100 lb woman next to me had never ridden before but told me she was in the class because her husband just bought her a new Yamaha V-max. I guess he thought the bike would be cheaper than a divorce.:

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
Double indemnity baby!!!!
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014