Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #2116
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Put yourself in his shoes...You have a yr old kid, fanily life is becoming more important and your job is high stakes and high risk. What are your chances of winning again, this time on another bike? Would you risk it? What happens if you don't win the next Dakar (for whatever reason...) - will you be written off?

Or do you bow out while the going is good and maybe move into a buggy with Al Attiyah or something else? You still have your name, you are no longer expected to be the lead dog...the pressure is off and you can learn a new vehicle.

I'm not saying he will NOT go over to Honda, but its almost the middle of the year and there is no sign of Despres.....

I think if he is not with Honda, he may be into something else altogether.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #2117
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 945
Wicked thinking the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I was thinking about Cyril's situation yesterday and was wondering about the possibility of him starting his own team using a KTM?
I was thinking if all else fails to start up his own team, prob has the money for it and the sponsors? Petter Solberg did it in the WRC for two years, so how hard can it be for one race .

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #2118
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,398
Hes lookin at pipes.. maybe he has a deal like Knighter

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #2119
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

Or off the shoulder track suit tops?

He screams 'I bat for the other side' in some of his pics
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #2120
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Put yourself in his shoes...You have a yr old kid, fanily life is becoming more important and your job is high stakes and high risk. What are your chances of winning again, this time on another bike? Would you risk it? What happens if you don't win the next Dakar (for whatever reason...) - will you be written off?

Or do you bow out while the going is good and maybe move into a buggy with Al Attiyah or something else? You still have your name, you are no longer expected to be the lead dog...the pressure is off and you can learn a new vehicle.

I'm not saying he will NOT go over to Honda, but its almost the middle of the year and there is no sign of Despres.....

I think if he is not with Honda, he may be into something else altogether.
It's possible but it takes a very big competitor to resist the lure of remaining on top. Not many have the right mindset to hang it up at the very pinnacle of a career. A change in family life could be that driver.

I would be disappointed to see Despres move to buggies. To see him move from the quintessential factory team to a half baked privateer buggy would just be wrong in my opinion. The way I see it, there is almost no competition in the car segment. A few identity challenged mini's racing each other and Robby chasing from a completely separate class. Quite frankly, at this past Dakar, I paid almost no attention to the cars at all. Without another big team jumping in, I don't see much attraction to make the move unless Peterhansel moves on to trucks and leaves an open spot at the top for Despres.

No matter what happens, I don't think we'll ever see Despres back on a KTM. I think that bridge is nothing but smoldering embers at this point.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #2121
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

Well his shoes match his shirt.....
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #2122
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
His laces match his shoes which match his shirt...off the shoulder hoodie....no comment

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #2123
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Ok, one thing for sure, he is still on the Red Bull books as there is no way that f*****g hat matches
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #2124
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Ok, one thing for sure, he is still on the Red Bull books as there is no way that f*****g hat matches
Could be worse, he could be wearing the bandana again!
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #2125
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
It's possible but it takes a very big competitor to resist the lure of remaining on top. Not many have the right mindset to hang it up at the very pinnacle of a career. A change in family life could be that driver.

I would be disappointed to see Despres move to buggies. To see him move from the quintessential factory team to a half baked privateer buggy would just be wrong in my opinion. The way I see it, there is almost no competition in the car segment. A few identity challenged mini's racing each other and Robby chasing from a completely separate class. Quite frankly, at this past Dakar, I paid almost no attention to the cars at all. Without another big team jumping in, I don't see much attraction to make the move unless Peterhansel moves on to trucks and leaves an open spot at the top for Despres.

No matter what happens, I don't think we'll ever see Despres back on a KTM. I think that bridge is nothing but smoldering embers at this point.
Why is it exactly smoldering embers with KTM?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #2126
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Why is it exactly smoldering embers with KTM?
The last round of contract negotiations that broke down left both sides a little more than cold towards each other. At least as I've heard it.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #2127
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,376
fwiw. I wouldn't be surprised if Cyril Despres hooked up with Yamaha, especially with the French team underpinning.

From a purely competitive point of view (of which we know CD most certainly is), he is one win away from matching fellow countryman Stephane Peterhansel's Dakar record of six wins on a bike - a Yamaha bike no less.

I can see Cyril wanting to match and beat that record, and what sweeter way than on a Yamaha too?

From a more practical point of view, Yamaha France have a long history of developing the WR (and latterly the YZF) based bikes, and Olivier Pain and David Casteu especially have proved the machine has the pace, and lets not forget that Helder Rodrigues put a WR on the Dakar podium when KTM were still racing 690s!

I think what has let Yamaha France down in the past has been budget, especially when compared to the might of the factory KTM team/s.

Without the money and the corresponding focus of the 'best' people available, the project has never been ultimately successful - certainly not when you are up against the might of the KTM factory.

But that could change if you bring in Cyril (arguably the best rider both physically and tactically in the world), his team associates, and not least his sponsors' money?

Personally I don't see the Honda thing happening with Cyril - not this year at any rate... there is too much to lose on either side with a still unproven machine? If Honda employ the #1 rider and it doesn't work out for ANY reason, there will be so much egg on faces I'm not sure either side would live it down? Cyril is bound to blame the bike/factory, and the last thing Honda want's is that sort of high-profile criticism... It would not end well.

Therefore I like the 'romantic' notion that Cyril will go all patriotic for his record matching (and subsequently beating) campaign over the next two years - on a Yamaha, with an all-French team. He really has nothing left to prove now, other than the personal goal of being the 'best' Dakar rider ever...

It will also give him Carte Blanche with the ASO of course! "Technical infringements? what technical infringements?!" "Here, have my gloves Monsieur Despres!"

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #2128
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Blue shoes, blue shirt... the message is subliminal x

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #2129
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Blue shoes, blue shirt... the message is subliminal x

Jx
ok, it could be the rally raid deal of the year....Cyril steps into Peterhansels
booooots..... but who could be his watercarriers ?

Casteu and Verhoeven are not so good friends with him , i think...

big , big surprises, we have to wait !
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #2130
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,555
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...in-Desire.html

Will we see one in the Atacama in January
too old is offline   Reply With Quote