User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #916
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Question startability

I notice that if I happen to stall or turn off the engine after a 1/2 hour or so ride, it is not real happy to start right away. It sounds like there is barely enough juice to turn it over. I wait 10 minutes and away it goes. Is this normal for 2012 G650GS?

Thanks
greying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #917
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
I took mine off too... but I had to. When I put a 21 inch front I had to raise the lower fork brace. It's more open now like an enduro, much like the sertao version of this bike. I also added the sertao front fender! I think it's pretty cool
So the front fender is useless right? Like, I could ditch mine and, aside from a little more dirt under the body, nothing negative would happen? I ask because I also don't really like the look.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #918
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by greying View Post
I notice that if I happen to stall or turn off the engine after a 1/2 hour or so ride, it is not real happy to start right away. It sounds like there is barely enough juice to turn it over. I wait 10 minutes and away it goes. Is this normal for 2012 G650GS?

Thanks
Put a volt meter on the powerlet jack and take a reading before you start it and then again after it stalls. If you haven't already, upgrade the battery or take it to the dealer and get another one if it's under warranty. I'm trying a Shorai lithium now, it's my fourth battery.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #919
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 493
Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Put a volt meter on the powerlet jack and take a reading before you start it and then again after it stalls. If you haven't already, upgrade the battery or take it to the dealer and get another one if it's under warranty. I'm trying a Shorai lithium now, it's my fourth battery.
There is a known and well-documented hot start issue as well as a TSB and warranty fix for it, which is a modification to the decompression lever mechanism. Your dealer should know about it already, and, if not, should call BMW.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #920
jdoxey
jdoxey

Oddometer: 20
Summer starts now!

Finally got my first ride of the 2013 summer season in yesterday. Just installed new tires; trying out the mitas e07's, so I was a little eager to get out.... well I was shooting for 6 weeks ago - stupid long non-compliant winter.
jdoxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #921
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:

Thanks
Yup, this is the "hot start issue" which effects some of the early G650 engines, its fixed under warranty

Here is the bulletin: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf

To quote another inmate "Basically, your engine number should be 61712400 or greater. If your engine number is less than the above, insist on the bulletin to be complied with before taking delivery. If the number is 61712400 or later, you are good to go." You can find the number on the engine case below the shift lever.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #922
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
my GS, the one way during the chaos

now that the Chaos in boston is slowing down I want to share this pic with you guys. I'm a member of the press and was working nonstop from just minutes after explosions. How do you get around the city very fast during moments of chaos you ask?? 09 bmw g650gs!!! I was able to pack my $15,000+ photo gear in my BMW boxes with confidence and zip through the city from scene to scene. A reporter for FOX news tweeted this pic of me, my beemer and camera gear.
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #923
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Yup, this is the "hot start issue" which effects some of the early G650 engines, its fixed under warranty

To quote another inmate "Basically, your engine number should be 61712400 or greater. If your engine number is less than the above, insist on the bulletin to be complied with before taking delivery. If the number is 61712400 or later, you are good to go." You can find the number on the engine case below the shift lever.
Well how interesting is that. I specifically asked the service manager before buying if there was any startability issues with these bikes. It really sucks because I am 250 miles away from the dealer. My number is 60912603. Thanks for the bulletin. I will follow up.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #924
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoxey View Post

Finally got my first ride of the 2013 summer season in yesterday. Just installed new tires; trying out the mitas e07's, so I was a little eager to get out.... well I was shooting for 6 weeks ago - stupid long non-compliant winter.
I know the feeling, I still have snow in back yard! Soon, it will all be gone, gone, gone.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #925
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Well how interesting is that. I specifically asked the service manager before buying if there was any startability issues with these bikes. It really sucks because I am 250 miles away from the dealer. My number is 60912603. Thanks for the bulletin. I will follow up.
Sorry to hear that, Ive got 12,000km with no issue, but mine is a latter number. Rest assured after the warranty is completed you'll have to issues.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #926
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:

Thanks for posting the bulletin -- I don't think anyone has before, or perhaps I missed it.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #927
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, Ive got 12,000km with no issue, but mine is a latter number. Rest assured after the warranty is completed you'll have to issues.
I just spoke to the service manager and he told me there were no bulletins associated with my bike. He says it is likely the battery needing a charge. I always have the bike on a battery tender when at home so I always leave with a full charge. He claims that you need to ride at 4000 rpm for 1/2 hr or so to replenish the power used up for start. I am not a mechanic but... Anyways, since he was not familiar with the bulletin, I sent him the details. I am curious though, if I have a no start and called roadside, would they bring my bike to the closest dealer which is about 200 miles away but is not the dealer I bought it from. It would be Newmarket BMW. Having a BMW is a learning experience :)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #928
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
I just spoke to the service manager and he told me there were no bulletins associated with my bike. He says it is likely the battery needing a charge. I always have the bike on a battery tender when at home so I always leave with a full charge. He claims that you need to ride at 4000 rpm for 1/2 hr or so to replenish the power used up for start. I am not a mechanic but... Anyways, since he was not familiar with the bulletin, I sent him the details. I am curious though, if I have a no start and called roadside, would they bring my bike to the closest dealer which is about 200 miles away but is not the dealer I bought it from. It would be Newmarket BMW. Having a BMW is a learning experience :)
Yes, roadside assistance will take it to the nearest dealer. Insist on getting the work done before you have to resort to that though, or use it to get the bike from your home to the dealer to get the fix done they should have done in the first place.

Do keep an eye on the OEM battery if you keep it though. It's not a sealed type so you have to keep it topped off somewhat regularly -- I learned this the hard way. Now I'm running a LiFe battery from Ballistic and it's awesome.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #929
greying
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Yes, roadside assistance will take it to the nearest dealer. Insist on getting the work done before you have to resort to that though, or use it to get the bike from your home to the dealer to get the fix done they should have done in the first place.

Do keep an eye on the OEM battery if you keep it though. It's not a sealed type so you have to keep it topped off somewhat regularly -- I learned this the hard way. Now I'm running a LiFe battery from Ballistic and it's awesome.

Wow, the little red battery does the same as the original? Does it have enough reserve and cranking amps to do the job? Where did you pick up that battery?
I am going to wait and see what the service manager says. If he wont do it, I will have to beg another dealer I guess. I have no idea how BMW is to deal with.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #930
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Wow, the little red battery does the same as the original? Does it have enough reserve and cranking amps to do the job? Where did you pick up that battery?
I am going to wait and see what the service manager says. If he wont do it, I will have to beg another dealer I guess. I have no idea how BMW is to deal with.
The little red battery whoops the original's ass by every measure. Here's the post from when I put it in:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=608

And here are the details:

http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ries/8cell.php