User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #211
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Carb updates

This is an interesting thread about updating your carbs. Please keep us posted as to what jetting you wind up with. I am sure many are watching and can benefit from your work.

I am impressed with the expertise shown here, machining skills are impressive as well as just good engineering, it is not wrong to build on other's engineering success. Really improves the breed.

Steve
Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #212
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
Not the same brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Great , thanks for clearing that up. Well I guess I'll get some ex250 carbs and figure out the air pod connection and the cables. How is the top end power? Going from the stock air box to K&N pods and upping the main gave my xt a big power rush at high RPM that the stock air box would not allow. Going from A 135 and a 130 main jet to 2 105s seems to be much leaner. They are both the same brand carb and the jet comparison should be apples to apples.
They are not the same brand and I dropped the needle (leaner) on the old carb and got better low to mid range power and my plug and pipe were still sooty black and would not make power wide open.

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #213
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
I've also fitted ex250 carbs on my 2003 xt600e.

The pilot jet is around #38 stock, i've drilled mine to 0.45mm, in an attempt to get rid of a small lean surge swhich comes as you get on the gas just after idle. Otherwise 0.40 should have been fine. I just think the taper on the needles are slightly of for my bike.

I've raised both needles around 0.80mm as I recall, and have fitted #116-ish mainjets (from memory). My bike has oversize headers, aftermarked exhaust, and opened up airbox, and aftermarked airfilter. Perhaps I could go down a couple of numbers on the mains, dont know for sure. Stock seemed slightly lean with snorkel removed from airbox.

The carbs bolted in quite easely, both fitted nicely in the intake rubbers, and the right airbox-to-carb-hose fitted aswell. The left was too small, so i used a larger hose, squized over the original hose coming from the airbox.

Both gascables was rerouted, and was bolt on the new carb.

I made a chokecable from an universal car handbrake-cable.

Hope it all makes sence.

JensEskildsen screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 02:14 PM
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #214
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 189
Great info guys! Very glad this is do-able. What issues do you think I will have running just K&N air pods. CV carbs are not supposed to like unrestricted air flow. I was thinking this was the problem with my current setup due to the CV secondary carb. I got so much more power at full throttle with the air pods I would hate to give it up. What altitude you at Jens?
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #215
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Sealevel :)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #216
Francesco2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question Update? does it ride as good as it looks?

Hey Yamahaman! Can we have an update on this yz/tt/xt bike? I'm on the point of buying a yz250 '04 rolling chassis to match my tt600 frame and engine. Can you give a good comparison regarding the handling/riding your hybrid?

How does is steer/ handle? and whats the final weight of this? I'm curious, and gathering good reasons to start a similar maniac build
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 AM   #217
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

It's good bike but not great!

I am really happy with the build there are a few drawbacks though.
1. 90's Xt motors don't have any snap to loft a front end of a fully loaded bike so I have had a few scary moments. Especially at speed
2. The low motor in the xt/tt frame setup with yz long travel suspension causes it to case out all the time and I have had my feet swept off the pegs on numerous occasions.
3. Dual carb setup is a pain in the arse I have a ninja carb on it that has been heavily modified this made it smoother to ride with a marginal power increase.

Having said that it's a great bike that has taken me on some awesome trips and be taking me across the Simpson desert later in the year. Having done more enduro riding/racing my emphasis is on the dirt not really on the road work so maybe I didn't choose the correct platform to start with but watch this space I may have a ktm 625 in the pipeline to build. This is a never ending process and what I have learned on this bike will be brought forward to the next bike and the one after that too.

What year is your tt ? if it's one of the later ones with the alloy swing arm I wouldn't bother fitting the yz arm just the forks. I know the motor will not fit in the yz frame because I tried and without major structural rework you can't fit the battery or carbs in

Good luck post me any time and I will help out where I can

Cheers

My crazy bike build
Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #218
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Thumb just got back from the simpson desert

Well the bike has had its graduation
My riding buddy and I smashed a 4328 km round trip in 9 days and crossed the Simpson in two days would have been a day and a half if it hadn't of been for some annoying delays it would have easily been a day and a half. (four flat tires and a cracked rack, neither mine)

keep posted for a full ride report and photos

My crazy bike build
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #219
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Cool2 Pass!

Excellent!
I look forward to reading the full account.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #220
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,517
Old 06-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #221
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Trip report

Well it all started out on the 24 May 2014 @ 7:00 am Caulder park BP. My riding buddy and I set off and smashed out 800km for the first two days and then a relatively short 425km on the third day to get to Mt dare (via Hamilton station).

We had a small problem with my buddys bike he found a broken weld on his rack caused, no doubt, by the bone jarring eyeball rattling gibber stones on the way through Hamilton and from dalhouise to mt dare. This meant we had to wait until 8:00 am for the workshop to open and we didn't get going out Mt dare until 9:00 am three hours later than we wanted!

Off we went in to the desert!

We pushed through the gibbers on the way out of mount dare with no fuss and on to Dalhousie and the Simpson crossing. Things were going well and we were making really good time despite the late start.

Until FLAT TIRE #1 this way on the claypans between Dalhousie and Purni bore. The culprit was a failed patch, we found a little berm, rested the bike on my tool bag and made a small hole under the front wheel to take the front wheel out. The change took around 45 min and off we went.

We rode until sunset and set up camp between Erabena well track and Approdinna Knolls.

Next morning we took off towards Birdsville on towards glory and lunch at the pub! We made it to Poeppels corner and all was running well, until we hit flat tire number two.

We put the repaired tube in the front and had a rest under a tree for a while and a bit of a talk about our water and fuel supplies. Made a plan and took off to Birdsville.

We met a great couple and after a bit of a yarn and the generous offer to top up our water (Although not needed) we took a bit of water and set off.

BOOM flat tire number three the Patch had failed after 30km so what to do?

Stretch an 18" in of course! this was no mean feat and it took a little bit of special work with the tire leavers but success and onwards to Birdsville.

After the ride between the hills of terror at approdinna knolls and poppels corner we thought that the ride into Birdsville would be quite tough. Pleasantly surprised with the QAA line and it was rather quick riding and we ate the 166km in around 2 1/4 hours (very Fast) and got to big red in time for a bit of a play.

After our play in the big bad red hill we headed to Birdsville for a play in the big bad Birdsville pub!

So all up we lost 6 3/4 hours, due to late start and flat tires so instead of getting into Birdsville pub in the late arvo we could have we could have easily made it by lunch time.

We were not trying to set any land speed records but I found my bike being a little heavier, it was much easier to move a bit quicker and sit on top of the sand. When I slowed down I found myself wildly swinging from one side of the track to the other and the bike was screaming on the face of the dunes. I weighed up the risks taking into account my skill level, the traffic on the track and our remote location and found a comfortable speed to ride on.

I found all of the riding to be awesome and the hardest part to be from around coulsen track to poeppels corner, in saying this I didn't find it hard just un-relenting and I think this is what most will struggle with.

more later.

My crazy bike build

yamahaman screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 05:09 AM