Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Have fun, but you better secure the sprocket with some metal screw type hose clamps because the zip ties will break within 50+ miles and then you will be without a spare sprocket.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO View Post
Splendid...all the best to you both...subscribed.

If you're heading this way just let us know....

Cheers Keith. Did you know Adam's joining us for the first 3 weeks down into France and Italy then he'll peel off as we go into the Balkans. It's not too late for you to come ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
Hi!
This is a great and exciting journey!
You brave riders!
Contact "Pate" (http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=106332), this guys ( http://www.offroadpeople.ru/index.htm, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post11817489), they were traveling along your route, and can help you. . A lot of information, contacts, helps ....
This would be useful, I think.

Good luck!!!
Will keep that in mind thanks Ivanych

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Have fun, but you better secure the sprocket with some metal screw type hose clamps because the zip ties will break within 50+ miles and then you will be without a spare sprocket.

thanks for the tip, a bit of extra security too to stop it going walkabout
Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
davey1212
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Good Luck !!

I will be monitoring this very closely as on the same day, 7th May 2013, I will be flying to New York and picking the same bike as you, Toger 800xc, on the 8th from customs. I will then be riding east to west accross the States & Canada to Alaska where I will start the Pan American to Tierra Del Fuego.
Obviously I am interested in the mods to your bike and how it will fare on your journey.......I had never heard of those pre-filters and have e mailed Uniflow to see if one can be shipped in time. I have put a larger sprocket on the front to see if it will increase the MPG and will let you know.

At some point I will also try to have a thread on this forum but am a technophobe so not as savvy as you younger guys !!

Hope the prep goes well and have a great trip.
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
picking the same bike as you, Toger 800xc
That'll be a Toga 800XC. The one with the white Roman style robes.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
oliwoof
Pyrenees - paradise

Oddometer: 12
Hi Craig

Best of luck with the journey, good mod with the airfilter. Are you taking an intercom? Doesn't work for some couples but we always use one when out on the bike together. You write well, should be a good read! See you soon in the Pyrenees:)
oliwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #21
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Balls of steel doing all this prep in front of god and everybody. I wish you well and look forward to this road report.

The bike looks great, though I think the US version must be more manly or something.

I will be flying to New York and picking the same bike as you, Toger 800xc

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #22
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,574
Cheers Keith. Did you know Adam's joining us for the first 3 weeks down into France and Italy then he'll peel off as we go into the Balkans. It's not too late for you to come ya know

Morn'in young fella...
I head off on 01.05.13 with Christophe,for a mini break over to to Marseille to see his cousin Julien. We'll scoot up to the Alpes and maybe over into Italy. After that Ricky arrives in the Alpes on his Africa Twin with another group of riders start of June. I'll keep an eye out for where you'll be in the weeks after you arrive and hopefully it'll be possible to hook up for a few 1000 kms...(have to play it by ear...keep forgetting I've kids and one of those wife thingy's!)

(If you're in this neck of the woods we can rope Christophe and Phil into riding some forest trails here and you can stay with me here....as you want)

Speaking of Dreamtime this CD might get you in the mood for going Walkabout...
[IMG][/IMG]

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #23
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
I will be monitoring this very closely as on the same day, 7th May 2013, I will be flying to New York and picking the same bike as you, Toger 800xc, on the 8th from customs. I will then be riding east to west accross the States & Canada to Alaska where I will start the Pan American to Tierra Del Fuego.
Obviously I am interested in the mods to your bike and how it will fare on your journey.......I had never heard of those pre-filters and have e mailed Uniflow to see if one can be shipped in time. I have put a larger sprocket on the front to see if it will increase the MPG and will let you know.

At some point I will also try to have a thread on this forum but am a technophobe so not as savvy as you younger guys !!

Hope the prep goes well and have a great trip.
Wow you're in for one hell of a trip You won't want to come back from Patagonia...it's life as it should be. When you're thread is up can you PM me the details because I'd love to hear about it.

It's interesting you've gone for a larger sprocket, but I guess that makes sense because you'll have long stretches of open road and economy will be more important than pulling power. I've done the opposite and dropped the front to a 15T because of the weight and pillion and because we're planning as much offroad as possible. I don't know if it's the new sprocket or the full service I've done to it (battery, chain, sprocket, spark plugs...that sort of thing) but the bike feels like it's brand new. I imagine the sprocket would have dropped the mileage but I'll let you know.

I've also changed my crash bars over to the SW Motech ones to protect the radiator, tank and plastics a bit more. I was using the genuine Triumph bars and those things are like a rock but I couldn't risk taking a hit to the radiator with all the extra weight on the bike. The missing bolt is where it attaches to the frame as opposed to the engine mounts.

A nice British bike

Good luck in your travels and keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwoof View Post
Hi Craig

Best of luck with the journey, good mod with the airfilter. Are you taking an intercom? Doesn't work for some couples but we always use one when out on the bike together. You write well, should be a good read! See you soon in the Pyrenees:)
Hi Phil, thanks for tuning in You know first hand how much of a bother it was to change the filter so I ordered that as soon as I got back from Morocco from an aussie company. We thought about an intercomm but we figured that money would be better spent on the trip....plus I like having my own head space when I'm riding. We've settled for code instead. one tap is "i'm ok", two taps is "let's stop" and lots of rapid stops with some expletives generally means I'm going too fast and I'm going to hear about it at the next stop anyway - If I had the intercomm I would hear about it twice
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #24
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

With our London days rapidly counting down we thought we'd better tick off a couple of things we haven't done yet.

The man

That's a shit load of bombs. During the bombings Churchill would stand on the roof of the building

Incredibly during the war the bunker wasn't directly hit. A good thing, because despite all the fortifications and reinforcements they added to the building to make it bomb proof it was never fully completed. It's said that a direct hit could have caused the building above to collapse into the bunker.

The War Cabinet

The halls

Churchill loved his maps. Add a motorbike and some tools and this room would be an ADV'ers wet dream

Going to miss London...

We wandered over to the ACE Cafe to see what all the fuss was about. Loads of people said I should go for a visit but I thought it was just be a bunch of old guys sitting around drinking tea talking about their goldwings....boy was I wrong!!! This place is like a circus with all types of bike enthusiast, from the aforementioned goldwing riders (not that there is anything wrong with that) to the adventure crew.

"We need an intercomm"

One of the Mondo Enduro bikes

Mondo Enduro - Austin Vince's bike. After Patty saw the tank bags she's now wondering why we don't have any - "if he's riding the world on his own and needs that, why don't we have that and we're two people?". "Because more bags means you'll bring your whole makeup kit babe"

We've been in touch with the Russian visa centre and they're pretty confident we'll have the visa before we leave....
Old 04-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #25
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 73
Looking forward to reading this. I'm in
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
stamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63

you want to be careful of Tony mate he is a smooth talker with the ladies

how did u get on with the tools I gave u and the pesky bolt of doom??
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,989
Can't wait to see how the XC does

Subscribed!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp View Post

you want to be careful of Tony mate he is a smooth talker with the ladies

how did u get on with the tools I gave u and the pesky bolt of doom??
And I thought he was telling Patty about the intercomm so me and her could chat...sneaky devil

Nailed it mate, cheers

Got your esky's (panniers) ready for ice and beers yet or you going soft luggage?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 134
XC Lovers

Im in for the LONG Haul.

Enjoy your trip and Ride Safe when you can.
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #30
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
As an XC owner this should be rather instructional. Mine has been quite satisfactory two up in areas a little outside the manufacturers recommendations so far. Great you guys can add some real world testing and i get to ride vicariously from my armchair.Love the bar risers. Would be keen to get more detail on your set up also. Good choice on soft luggage and a small girlfriend- I tried to shrink my wife in a river but only managed to fill the cylinders with water.!
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote