Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #91
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
~$23 for a new over flow bottle.... or ~$250 for a heated ultra sonic cleaner will net a clean interior
...or find one of those lucky individuals who work on a drilling rig & beg some detergent off them. The stuff we have cleans out BOP's & mud tanks, so it would have no problem with a grimy coolant reservoir.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #92
ImaginaryRider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Finally!

I just installed this kit on my 2012 990 R. It appears to be the ADVMachines kit, but I got it from Craig at CJ Designs because I was ordering some other stuff from him too (what an awesome guy - that Craig!) Getting the splitter connector connected to the the OEM fan connector was a real challenge for me. I used the coat hanger technique because my hands are way to big to get that far in there and no women or children were available at the time of install. When I finally heard the connectors snap together after fumbling about with the homemade coat hanger hooks for about an hour, I bet you could have heard my celebratory scream 3 houses down... "OH YEAH!!!!"
I did not opt for the lower temp sensor, and I'm glad that I didn't. When the fans do come on, they only stay on for about a minute then then turn back off, which is often enough time to get back moving at speed again. With only one fan, that time was much, much longer and the cooling effect was obviously nowhere near as good.
This represents the end of a pretty long quest for me to get the bike to run cooler in low-speed situations. I tried new pipes (FMF Q4 Ti), a better flowing rad guard, Engine Ice coolant, burping/bleeding, all to no avail. I wish I'd have done this first.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #93
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Laugh

I heard it here in the PNW

Yes, CJracer is reselling the ADVmachines Rally Fan. Yes, reaching across the bike through that small portal is a major PITA, especially when you are doing it with a coat hanger...

One of the things that I have found that helps is to pre-seat the fittings with the Rally Fan plug and the new harness before attempting to do it with the mr. gadget fingers (wire hanger). This will help line up the terminals in the plugs.

Alternatively it may be easier to remove the left side fuel cell, remove all the radiator mount bolts, the 5.2" fan mount bolts (to expose the electrical connector), then install the Y harness connector.

Once installed, it really makes a major difference (positive) in how well the engine manages it's heat!
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #94
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 926
Or wait till you are doing the valves. Plenty of room then...
I added a reworked shroud to mine to keep the heat out of the right fuel tank.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #95
ImaginaryRider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Oz, I'd like to see/hear about your reworked shroud. I've been thinking of ways to make that work.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #96
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryRider View Post
Oz, I'd like to see/hear about your reworked shroud. I've been thinking of ways to make that work.
x2 - Had read about it being done a while back, got the same part # recommended but seems too big for the area. Any help is appreciated!

Light just flickered a bit...larger OEM fan/shroud vs smaller aftermarket fan so shroud is larger. Guess some "cut and paste" to make it work

SCflyer screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 07:06 PM
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #97
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Fan shroud

Not sure I took any pix but it was not my idea - check out post 135 here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...465977&page=14

Autostream (another Aussie) has some good pix there.

Not sure how well the OEM shroud will work with a bigger fan, but anything is worth a try. (Smaller fan...cut some off and or bend it to fit). I am allergic to the sound of boiling fuel and have heat taped my airbox and inside tank surfaces as well.
I know I had to cut mine down some and used a zip tie around the leading edge of it to hold it in place. It took a while and lots of cut zip ties to get it just the right shape to not rub on the tank...much. Not sure how more pix of my install after the fact will help but if I get some garage time tonight I will snap some. PM me an email address if you want them quicker. Like I said its kind of a suck it and see thing and the clearances involved are probably different from one bike to the next. If your not concerned with rubbing off some paint it will probably go easier.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #98
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Well I just bought me an 04 "S" and where I live temps are consistently around 110 degrees so I am figuring that this is gonna be a must do mod. I also use the bike for doing Moto work at Professional cycling events so at times you are going a little slower than you would want to go. I would love to hear more about the fan deflector shield people are using. Is the BDCW fan basically the same as the ADVMachines fan? Also do I need to change out the Thermo with this install? Will it help that much more? I figured just having the dual fans would be enough but I need the most help possible so if changing out the thermo is necessary I will go that route. Lets keep this thread alive. It's crazy hot this summer..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #99
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

My opinion fwiw:
I have the second fan and find they run constantly when under 35 mph on hilly offroad in lower gears...enough to nake me want to go faster when I can. In your temps I don't see the point of staging the fans. A lower temp switch might be a good idea but I would only do it if you find you are still topping out the temp with both fans running. Some report good results using engine ice.
My big recommendation is applying heat foil tape to the outside of your airbox and inner walls of the tanks. Before my second fan/heat foil I was boiling fuel and cavitating my fuel pump on 100+ deg days. Wouldn't hurt to burp your cooling system if you haven't done it, just to be sure you have no air trapped.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta