ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #16906
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 205
When I grab the clutch basket and rotate it left/right, it has some play. Is that normal?
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #16907
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
I'm looking to travel down 100k of fire roads at stupid speeds. Not an ideal solution.

Get a back pack that you can strap the gun in vertically. I'll post a picture tonight of my setup. That's is the safest way I have found. Most of my guns would never ride with me on a bike; they cost more than the bike.

Like this, but mine is even more basic and can't be drawn without taking the pack off: http://www.eberlestock.com/Tactical%20Master.htm

If you are planning on having something for a quick draw, well I would forget that idea. There is no quick draw with a long gun on a bike, unless its sawed off shotgun like the terminator.

Having the gun mounted to the bike is not an ideal solution in my opinion, there is no good way to do it that I know of.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #16908
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
When I grab the clutch basket and rotate it left/right, it has some play. Is that normal?

Yes, but how much?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #16909
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Having the gun mounted to the bike is not an ideal solution in my opinion, there is no good way to do it that I know of.
Scabbard mounted to the forks? Would be a lot easier with USD forks, but would work with conventional forks if you built stand-off so the forks wouldn't crash into the scabbard on compression. I've thought about how I'd want to carry a gun on a bike and that's how I'd do it.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #16910
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,522
Ordered a michelin T63 130/80-18. Looking for something with a little more life than the Dunlop 606.

I need reassurance I made the right choice.
__________________
Jayrod1318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #16911
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
Big game season is a long way away. But I need to start making plans now.
I need to mount a long-gun to my xr650r for travel down fire roads and some open dirt trails.
Any ideas? Anyone find a solution?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623453

Some options
__________________
Jayrod1318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #16912
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Ordered a michelin T63 130/80-18. Looking for something with a little more life than the Dunlop 606.

I need reassurance I made the right choice.
When I saw them in person I thought the t63 looked like a half worn 606. I was going to buy one until I saw that.

How many miles did you get out of the 606?

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #16913
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Yes, but how much?
Just a tad, never noticed before so I wasn't sure.

Thanks.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #16914
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dove Creek, Co.
Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
Big game season is a long way away. But I need to start making plans now.
I need to mount a long-gun to my xr650r for travel down fire roads and some open dirt trails.
Any ideas? Anyone find a solution?
I ride with the 300 in my Eberlestock in the fall - hardly know it's there!

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #16915
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
When I saw them in person I thought the t63 looked like a half worn 606. I was going to buy one until I saw that.

How many miles did you get out of the 606?

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

About 2000 miles. Although the last 500 has been pretty bald. Mostly pavement and gravel roads.

I read some talk that the t63 is harder compound and runs cooler on pavement. Price was right too $72.00.

My hope is it will last the season.
__________________
Jayrod1318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #16916
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
About 2000 miles. Although the last 500 has been pretty bald. Mostly pavement and gravel roads.

I read some talk that the t63 is harder compound and runs cooler on pavement. Price was right too $72.00.

My hope is it will last the season.
I was hoping for more. Oh well. I have a fairly new 606/mt21 combo on now, but with no odometer I won't really know anyways.

1500 good tread miles will get a season for me anyways, so no big deal. It's not a dd or anything.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #16917
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Scabbard mounted to the forks? Would be a lot easier with USD forks, but would work with conventional forks if you built stand-off so the forks wouldn't crash into the scabbard on compression. I've thought about how I'd want to carry a gun on a bike and that's how I'd do it.

What happens to the unsprung gun after hitting 1000 miles of washboards, bumps, rocks, etc?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #16918
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
About 2000 miles. Although the last 500 has been pretty bald. Mostly pavement and gravel roads.

I read some talk that the t63 is harder compound and runs cooler on pavement. Price was right too $72.00.

My hope is it will last the season.

Throttle control. If you ride in a very boring manner tires last longer, but its boring.

I am going to try the M43 pro trials tire. Everyone says they last a long time, and have other advantages.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #16919
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTucker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West By God Virginia
Oddometer: 2,235
I've had two tires make it to 2k miles, an IRC trials tire and a Mitas C-20. It's a shame the C-20 is hard to come by in the US.

The MT43 on my 450 works very well and is wearing good.
__________________
http://www.ktm-parts.com
03 Aprilia Caponord 06DR650
13 GasGas EC300 05 WR450F 87 T-dub
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #16920
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Throttle control. If you ride in a very boring manner tires last longer, but its boring.
I ride in a boring manner on the street, so that helps. Whenever I start getting into the throttle some I start thinking about the lack of a cush drive and the fact that I'm on knobbies.

My gravel road manners probably offset any savings though. It's fun kicking the pig sideways on turns.

Anyone do the math on rpms at highway speed on stock gearing lately? I have a klr now, thinking about dropping the gearing back to 14-48 on the pig. Can't remember how buzzy it was, but I know I bought the 15 front for a reason. I wish this bike had another gear or something.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014