ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
spaine OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Greenfield center, NY (Northern NY)
Oddometer: 19
2002 Husaberg FE 400

As I'm sure some of you can tell from my posts, I'm looking at Dual Sport bikes, DRZ, KTM's and maybe a few others. Right now I am looking at a 2002 Husaberg FE 400. It's in great shape from what I can tell in pictures and it's street legal. Also, I want to check the air filter when I look at this bike. On Husabergs, I don't see the typical air-box behind the carb, accessible from a side panel or removing the seat. Where is it on these bikes ?
This bike looks great, I might bring it home with me.......

spaine screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 04:24 PM
spaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,008
Remove the seat and you will see the filter clamped directly to the hollow frame between the gas tank. I am a Husaberg lover (had a 2005 before my 2010), but the 2002 Husabergs had issues. When manufacturing was moved to Austria in 2004, they were as reliable as anything.

The SEM ignition and the Dellorto carb are the first issues, but there are more. I would pass on any 2002-2003 Husaberg personally.
__________________
'06 950 Adventure S
'10 Husaberg FX 450
'01 KTM 520exc
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
spaine OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Greenfield center, NY (Northern NY)
Oddometer: 19
Thank you Johnf3. Very interesting, I think I'll take your advice and pass on this one.

From what I understand KTM is the parent company of Husaberg ? Or is it the other way around ?
So the combining / merge happened around 2004 / 2005 I am guessing ?

Thanks

spaine screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 06:41 PM
spaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
spaine OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Greenfield center, NY (Northern NY)
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Remove the seat and you will see the filter clamped directly to the hollow frame between the gas tank. I am a Husaberg lover (had a 2005 before my 2010), but the 2002 Husabergs had issues. When manufacturing was moved to Austria in 2004, they were as reliable as anything.

The SEM ignition and the Dellorto carb are the first issues, but there are more. I would pass on any 2002-2003 Husaberg personally.

The seller just sent me an e-mail offering it for a better price and I haven't even looked at it yet... Hmmmm........Ignition problems probably are expensive. Carb, I have heard about Dellorto's from the old days on Maico's and such. What are some of the other issues on the 2002/2003 ?

I think I probably will pass on the bike but just wondering what other issues the Husabergs from that time frame have.
spaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaine View Post
The seller just sent me an e-mail offering it for a better price and I haven't even looked at it yet... Hmmmm........Ignition problems probably are expensive. Carb, I have heard about Dellorto's from the old days on Maico's and such. What are some of the other issues on the 2002/2003 ?

I think I probably will pass on the bike but just wondering what other issues the Husabergs from that time frame have.
Long story short-KTM bought Husaberg back in 1997 because KTM needed a competitive four stroke engine (which Husaberg already had). The RFS engine that KTM came up with was nearly a direct copy of Husaberg's engine at the time in many ways.

The 2002 era Husaberg engine (new design in 2001) had major issues with rocker arm bearings, cam gears (aluminum changed to steel mid-year), cam chain tensioners and cam chains, and also the auto decompressor mechanism. I already mentioned the SEM ignition and the carb.

All of these things can be fixed, and then the 400 is a great bike. If they have not been, it is a matter of time until issues start and then you have a project on your hands. Parts are going to be an issue at some point too, although they are available for now.

In 2004, Husaberg came up with a new engine again and production was moved to Austria at the KTM factory. Besides the engine, it got a Keihn carb and a Kokusan ignition just like the KTM. Huge upgrades that made the bike as reliable as any other racing four stroke made.
__________________
'06 950 Adventure S
'10 Husaberg FX 450
'01 KTM 520exc
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
spaine OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Greenfield center, NY (Northern NY)
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Long story short-KTM bought Husaberg back in 1997 because KTM needed a competitive four stroke engine (which Husaberg already had). The RFS engine that KTM came up with was nearly a direct copy of Husaberg's engine at the time in many ways.

The 2002 era Husaberg engine (new design in 2001) had major issues with rocker arm bearings, cam gears (aluminum changed to steel mid-year), cam chain tensioners and cam chains, and also the auto decompressor mechanism. I already mentioned the SEM ignition and the carb.

All of these things can be fixed, and then the 400 is a great bike. If they have not been, it is a matter of time until issues start and then you have a project on your hands. Parts are going to be an issue at some point too, although they are available for now.

In 2004, Husaberg came up with a new engine again and production was moved to Austria at the KTM factory. Besides the engine, it got a Keihn carb and a Kokusan ignition just like the KTM. Huge upgrades that made the bike as reliable as any other racing four stroke made.
Very good......Or, not so good for husa's of this era .....I don't mind working on bikes but this sound like big bucks at some point.
spaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,089
Johnf3 is making it sound like Husaberg had a completely different engine in 2004 which isn't the case. It's the same design as the 2001. It received upgrades but it's the same design.
With the exception of the SEM ignition, the '02 engine can be upgraded with all the later model pieces.
One other thing that plagued the '01 and '02 bikes is the maincase would crack where the swingarm bolt goes through.

Check this out. http://www.husaberg.org/wiki/index.p...on_and_changes
__________________
2007 Suzuki DR650SE-2000 Buell M2 Cyclone-Plated 1995 XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1980 Honda CB750F

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Johnf3 is making it sound like Husaberg had a completely different engine in 2004 which isn't the case. It's the same design as the 2001. It received upgrades but it's the same design.
With the exception of the SEM ignition, the '02 engine can be upgraded with all the later model pieces.
One other thing that plagued the '01 and '02 bikes is the maincase would crack where the swingarm bolt goes through.

Check this out. http://www.husaberg.org/wiki/index.p...on_and_changes
Yes. You are correct. The 2004 was the same design as the 2001. It was just so much more reliable that it was no comparison to the 2001-2003.
__________________
'06 950 Adventure S
'10 Husaberg FX 450
'01 KTM 520exc
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Watching Kenny61 Ground Assault Videos
Oddometer: 4,724
Does anyone know about the 2000 fe 400?

What engine parts cross over to ktm, known issues etc.?

I need a slave cylinder/ gasket, fork seals, and some other stuff.

TIA.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014