ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #76036
rand0mlychrisUK
Adventurer
 
rand0mlychrisUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 28
This UK Ebay Shop is breaking a '98 DR for parts and flogging them, might be useful for any of you guys.
Breaking DR650 for Spares

Thought it might be of use

Chris
__________________
'96 DR650SE in the snow...
rand0mlychrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #76037
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: South Central PA/Michaux State Forest/Lincoln Hwy.
Oddometer: 281
I'm about to check the NSU screws on my '09 DR650SE with 2,412 miles on it, I want to replace the phillips head screws with either allen head or hex head bolts and then drill and lock wire them. I found a post that claimed the OEM screws were 5mm x 15mm long with standard metric threads (looks like .8mm pitch or 12.5 threads/cm), does anyone know the specs on the O.E.M. NSU screws for sure? Also read a post that claimed the later model DR's now come with allen head screws already installed, anyone else found this to be the case?

Thanks,

Jeff
__________________
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #76038
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
Also read a post that claimed the later model DR's now come with allen head screws already installed, anyone else found this to be the case?
Thanks,
Jeff
Sorry Jeff, can't help with bolt size. And yes, I too have read several reports here on this thread on newish DR's stating current NSU bolts are Allen head ... and that they in there fairly tight. Suzuki don't torque them down because the NSU unit is PLASTIC. Loc Tite is your friend. Safety wire it if you like ... but I'm confident Loc Tite is adequate, IMHO.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #76039
sunthechip
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 104
Oil level

Hi,

I checked my oil level today. I warmed the bike up for a few minutes, shut the engine off then checked through the sight glass. With the bike vertical, the level was hovering about 2 mm above the lower mark in the sight glass.

Could this have caused any engine damage? I changed the oil 1000 miles ago with 2 quarts of oil and a new filter.

Also, the bike has a small leak opposite the side of the cam bore plug - near the spark plugs. This is probably where some of the oil went. I am going to fix this soon.

Thanks.
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #76040
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
the level was hovering about 2 mm above the lower mark in the sight glass.
As long as the oil is above the minimum you are completely safe. That's what the minimum line is there for.
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #76041
sunthechip
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
As long as the oil is above the minimum you are completely safe. That's what the minimum line is there for.
Thank you. Procycle is awesome btw
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #76042
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia, Northern NSW
Oddometer: 319
Mojave Shock

Has anybody tried the new Mojave Shock from Procycle..........probably not as they've only just started selling them.

I spoke to their staff and I'm slightly confused about what the Mojave Shock offers. Staff member said it only has damping control but no compression but has Cogent's new internals (shaft etc all new). Where as the exchanged one (if I sent my stock shock to cogent) has damping and compression. To tell you the truth, I don't understand the two and maybe confusing myself.

Anyway, I'm sure the Mojave has to be an improvement over stock.
__________________
Currently riding DR650 (2011)
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #76043
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Has anybody tried the new Mojave Shock from Procycle..........probably not as they've only just started selling them.

I spoke to their staff and I'm slightly confused about what the Mojave Shock offers. Staff member said it only has damping control but no compression but has Cogent's new internals (shaft etc all new). Where as the exchanged one (if I sent my stock shock to cogent) has damping and compression. To tell you the truth, I don't understand the two and maybe confusing myself.

Anyway, I'm sure the Mojave has to be an improvement over stock.
The Mojave shock has adjustable rebound damping but the compression damping is fixed. There is no prevision to adjust the compression but it could be changed by altering the valve shim stack. This is pretty common for non-reservoir shocks as there is no place to actually put the compression adjuster. The internals are the same as Cogent's 'shock shaft assembly". It's the same stuff that Cogent puts inside their reworked shocks (which ProCycle has also).
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #76044
8gv
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: North central CT
Oddometer: 2,323
What to do first...

This week I'm picking up a 2008 DR650 which is stock. I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of "improvements" over time to prepare it for my adventures. Until then I'd like to do whatever is needed to prevent getting stuck or blowing up the engine. This is my first priority.

What I think I know:
Neutral position switch loctite? Where?
Chain roller removal...why?
Fuel tap change? To what? Why?
Neutral safety switches?

Can I get some clarity on the above and whatever really matters that I don't know?

Thanks!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #76045
mdrauh
Adventurer
 
mdrauh's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Loveland, CO
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
Hi,

I checked my oil level today. I warmed the bike up for a few minutes, shut the engine off then checked through the sight glass. With the bike vertical, the level was hovering about 2 mm above the lower mark in the sight glass.

Could this have caused any engine damage? I changed the oil 1000 miles ago with 2 quarts of oil and a new filter.

Also, the bike has a small leak opposite the side of the cam bore plug - near the spark plugs. This is probably where some of the oil went. I am going to fix this soon.

Thanks.
oops, wrong thread altogether... nevermind.

mdrauh screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 07:19 PM Reason: wrong number
mdrauh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #76046
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Emmbeedee, do you happen to have an exact size for that cotter-pin / pin you're using (if it fits in without makign the castle nut slots larger)?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #76047
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,109
Thanks!

I caught yer post there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #76048
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Thanks!

I caught yer post there.
You're quick!
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #76049
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
This week I'm picking up a 2008 DR650 which is stock. I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of "improvements" over time to prepare it for my adventures. Until then I'd like to do whatever is needed to prevent getting stuck or blowing up the engine. This is my first priority.

What I think I know:
Neutral position switch loctite? Where?
Chain roller removal...why?
Fuel tap change? To what? Why?
Neutral safety switches?

Can I get some clarity on the above and whatever really matters that I don't know?

Thanks!
I would go to index thread and start reading. It's all there and very well layed out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #76050
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank
 
swamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: lower appalachia, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post

And yes...I will be interested in one of your rebuild kits and "fuel enrichment" plungers to take with me upon my return in July. I will be sending you an email soon. Thank you for your condescending "tone"

Regards

Dick

sorry,
but thats funny
__________________
Enduro Earth
YOUTUBE

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014