Oddometer: 1,429
Olympia Moab gets my vote

Can't beat the quality vs. price
Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Jackets

Revit has their new Levante jacket which we just received a few weeks ago. More stylish than the Tornado, has removable waterproof thermal liner and more of a 3/4 length jacket. Would definitely recommend checking it out.
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
BMG Adventure 2 jacket...

I'd check it out. I have it and love it. 279 bucks and it has great armor, vents well, comes with a rain shell that can be worn over or under , hydration pack and a ton of other features.. I just did a ride in Arizona today at 95 degrees and was comfortable in the dirt and at speed. I have had it into the mid 50's temps and with the proper under -layers it was great. Tons of features and quality for the money..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I have the AST 2 jacket paired with the Airglide pants. If I rode for pleasure, I'd rock the Moab. But the AST 2 has most of the features of the Moab for far less cost and doesn't look like your putting on an astronaut suit. I wear it daily, rain or shine and it holds up great. I have around 4000 (mostly winter mileage) miles in it and still looks brand new. Zippers are good and watertight. I will say I kind of dislike the velcro flaps that cover the zippers up. But I don't mess with them enough. When the zippers are open, they are open and I don't need to open and close the velcro flaps so not a big deal. Room in the arms is generous. I have an Alpinestars Cape town and its pretty tight in the forearms. But the AST 2 has plenty of room. Armor is actually armor, CE stiff. Not just regular foam. Its like that throughout. Its easy on and off for daily use as well.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
I'd look for a lightly used Aerostitch Darien jacket.

I've been very happy with mine, I use it fall to late spring early summer.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
EJSCC2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thumb 3/4 length - HiVis - Alpinestars Cape Town

I bought an Alpinestars Cape Town jacket in HiVis in January. Love it. The HiVis is where it should be - top of the arms and shoulders. Mesh 3/4 length jacket with internal waterproof liner and additional insulated liner (full sleeves). Purchased for $200 at local BMW dealer in Birmingham, AL - great purchase and highly recommended. (No connection, planned on doing a full review but have not gotten around to it).

Had planned on purchasing the Olympia Transitions jacket, but liked the placement of the hi vis materials better on this once I tried it on. I prefer to purchase locally when I can, and was offered a price that made it the ONLY way to go.

6'2", 240 lbs, 36-38" waist, 32" length pants, (fairly long waisted) > purchased a 2XL jacket.

I ride a Vstar 1100 with a barn door for a windscreen, but get wide range of usability out of it... In January, I made several 140mile runs in 38 degree starting temps with jacket and both liners over a chamois long sleeve shirt with a long sleeve tshirt underneath. I could have layered more, but didn't need to - was a brisk day ride to sign up a client and turn around and head back home. Last week I did another run toward GA leaving in 85 degrees, and the jacket was fine. Toward the end of the day I did realize that I had not been drinking enough water but was never uncomfortable and did not resort to wetting down underneath etc. With a mesh jacket you have to be aware that when temps get over 93 degrees or so you are typically better off changing to another type of jacket because the hot air does less to cool you but you are still sweating a ton, but don't realize it because it's being evaporated quickly by the wind.

I have found this to be a very reasonably priced jacket for the southeast US weather and my riding styles. Around here, it is certainly a fall/winter/spring jacket, and can be used for shorter runs in the summer, but probably not the best choice for longer trips when temps get mid 90's plus.

Reviewed on WebBikeWorld.com
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/alpin...e-town-jacket/

Reviewed on Revzilla
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...own-air-jacket

(That was the first time in 25 years of selling software and computer consulting services that I ever used an emoticon. I feel dirty...)

EJSCC2 screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 02:42 PM
EJSCC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
DaveCraige OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5891 View Post
Revit has their new Levante jacket which we just received a few weeks ago. More stylish than the Tornado, has removable waterproof thermal liner and more of a 3/4 length jacket. Would definitely recommend checking it out.
I really like the way Rv'It looks and feels but my concern is safety. I don't believe they use Cordura like Klim and Olympia do. Instead it says it is made of : Outer shell: polyester rib, PWR|shell mesh

If it was Cordura I would have probably already bought a Rev'It
DaveCraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,321
+1 on the FirstGear Rainier, it's a great value and works in everything but really hot weather (although I rode through Death Valley in early September in it and survived ). Pockets are completely waterproof too, and that's saying something when you commute through the winter in Vancouver.

FirstGear stuff surprised me, I sold an Aerostitch Roadcrafter jacket and bought a Rainer, and couldn't have been happier. YMMV.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,056
I have this and like it but it's a 4 season jacket IMO. I've also found that by wearing the appropriate underlayers and a heated vest that I can use my Olympia Bushwacker mesh jacket (I think Moab is the newest incarnation) well into early winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrags View Post
I have the Scorpion XDR Commander and is a very good all weather jacket. I like because it came in tall sizes.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/scorp...mander-jacket/
Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #25
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Tourmaster Transition has seen me well through 3 seasons so far... but this is San Diego so seasons mean something different to us.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
bcliff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I'm very happy with my Klim Traverse. I do have the armour but also wear it without armour, over a pressure suit. Just something to think about. They pop up in the flea market every now and again so you can save a few bucks.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
safety

Safety being a concern I would definitely recommend upgrading the armor in any jacket you go with. We.ve brought in Forcefield armor just for this reason. I've found most jackets in the $300 range just don't have adequate armor protection. An option a few of my customers have gone with is the Forcefield Pro Shirt and Klim Traverse jacket. This provides a decent street set up then for offroad days when its really hot they wear the Frocefield shirt and a jersey instead of the Traverse jacket. Forcefield also makes fantastic replacement armor that comes in varying sizes so it will fit into most jackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCraige View Post
I really like the way Rv'It looks and feels but my concern is safety. I don't believe they use Cordura like Klim and Olympia do. Instead it says it is made of : Outer shell: polyester rib, PWR|shell mesh

If it was Cordura I would have probably already bought a Rev'It
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
DaveCraige OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5891 View Post
Safety being a concern I would definitely recommend upgrading the armor in any jacket you go with. We.ve brought in Forcefield armor just for this reason. I've found most jackets in the $300 range just don't have adequate armor protection. An option a few of my customers have gone with is the Forcefield Pro Shirt and Klim Traverse jacket. This provides a decent street set up then for offroad days when its really hot they wear the Frocefield shirt and a jersey instead of the Traverse jacket. Forcefield also makes fantastic replacement armor that comes in varying sizes so it will fit into most jackets.
This is exactly what I have been considering recently. Seems to be the most safe option.

I like the idea of the Klim Overland Jacket [ link ] however I think the forcefield armor shirt will be definitely safer in the case of a crash.

(I guess the title of this thread should be changed to "The Search for a Solid Safe $600 3 season Jacket")
DaveCraige is offline   Reply With Quote