Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorr View Post
For a rear tire, I like the Mefo super explorer (way better than the regular explorer IMHO). They are very similar to the Hiedenau K60's which are also a good choice. The super explorers seem to wear longer for me than the K60's. Word on the street is some sizes of K60's wear longer than others. Also the K60 tread pattern varies according to the tire size. For the front, I like TKC 80 or D606: TKC lasts longer, but not as aggressive. Good luck with your search.

Cheers, matt
+1 on the Mefo

Had them on my KLR and put over 14,000 km (9000 miles?) on my rear including lots of gravel a 7000k (4500 miles?) slab trip to Yellowstone.

The front has 20,000k (12000 miles) on it. Just going to replace it this year. Went over to the Heidenau but thinking that may have been a mistake. The Mefo was a few bucks more but it was a great tire.

PS for those in the snow belt the Mefo is also a pretty good snow tire. Drove through snow up to the foot pegs (with an ice base ) with no problem
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #17
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
Maxxis IT desert tires last longer and get better traction everywhere.

I have never done more than 20 miles at a time on pavement with a maxxis tire. I have been told that the 606 will last longer on pavement.
i gotta set of Desert IT's on mine, the first tires i bought for my dirtified SMR... wearing pretty good for dual sport, though i'm gonna change out the front for the EN, cause' the front sux in fla. sand....

i like the knob style on the rear maxxis IT's, works pretty good in fla. sand.... you ever try the SI tire for dual sport?... supposed to be harder compound, wonder if they work/last better on asphalt?.... though my Desert IT is lasting pretty good....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote