User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Continuing saga of my spring trip 2013

Morning, all. I'm kind'a late getting this started, already been on the road 2 weeks.

Bun Burner from home to Moonshine, IL 1660 miles in 25 hours,,, breakfast at home on 4-11, Moon 'Burger at 1145 AM on 4-12. Ouch. Album at Picasa.

Visited son in Aurora, IL and sister in St. Anthony, IN, then down to Ootewah, TN to visit with good friend Bob Donaldson who couldn't make Moonshine due to a recently broken arm and a totalled Gold Wing. Took him a Moon 'Burger. :)

From there, almost another SS1000 (958 miles in 14 hours) to Pflugerville, Tejas. Stayed with good friends here and attended the Moto GP at COTA in Austin. Another Album.

Now, with a fresh rear tar (thanks to Keel Brothers tires, Lawrenceburg, GA), fresh oil, and a hopefully rejuvenated ignition switch, I'll roll out'a here soon on my way to Key west via Port Arthur and the Gulf Coast all the way down.

I'm participating in the MS5000, a rally to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy, 5000 miles in 50 days. I'll finish my 5000 in Key West after only 15 days or so,,, nothing to it when yur on an ST-1100. Gotta luv this bike, I've owned her for nearly 20 years and approaching 200,000 of my own miles. (I've got another 350,000 on other bikes during that same time so don't diss me for only 10,000/year on this one. )

Anyway I only need another $85 to fill my goal of $1000, please consider supporting me for a worthy cause.

Bike is ready to roll soon as I strap the big bag back on. I plan to be in Key West late tomorrow,,, only 1500 miles so no big deal.

Hope to see ya ALL on the road somewhere.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Part 2:

From Pflugerville it's a simple run down to Key West,,, turned another thou running back roads and some Alligator Alley in 23 hours, 57 minutes. Cut it kind'a close but got'er done. Also completed my 5000 miles for the MS5000 just out'a Orlando as I gassed up. From there, onward to Key West.

Got a good run down, slow tho no matter how ya go. Arrived lunch time, go the obligatory pics (mile zero, naked girl on the beach) and u-turned back north. Slept that night on a triangle in the middle of a couple turnpikes intersection and continued north next morning. Rolled on up thru all of FL and into GA. Stopped at Marysville, GA. Great little coffee shop called Latte Da. Fun folks.

Continued on north thru Savanna (Tybe Island, more naked girls on the beach), Charleston (Party Town), and Myrtle Beach completing, finally, my tour of the US east coast started back in 07. Went there specifically to get the world's best Philly Cheese Steak but the cafe' is long gone. :(

Onward...

Stopped that evening in Charlotte with new friend Liz. Had never met her but she's good traveling companion of my wife. One quick phone call and I had a (dry!) bed for the night. (Rain had started as I left Myrtle Beach area and continued all that evening. Local roads. In the rain. In the dark. Ugh!

Fairly early start the net morning after attempting an adjustment on Liz's garage door. (She sez thanks but it fizzled again two days later.) Finally found good weather as I motored on toward Two Brothers Tires in Lawrenceville, GA to pick up a front tar. Didn't need it right then so it's strapped to the back. From there, north on local roads into North Carolina. Getting dark (but no rain!) and the GPS tried to route me straight north to Stecoah, NC. There are no paved roads between Hiawassee and Stecoah but Samsung didn't care. Might have tried it if it had still been full daylight. Anyway, finally arrived (via Franklin, NC) at Iron Horse MC Lodge. Great place to camp a couple nights and see the local sites.

Rode the obligatory Dragon Tail and back over Cherohalla Drive, with a stop in Tellic Plains at TP Moto Outfitters. Met there a gal from San Antonio on a KLR. She had just come off the Cherohalla and found cord showing on the rear. Hung there 'til all was handled then back to Iron Horse.

Spent the rest of day lounging around and repacked next morning for the run to Theodosia, MO. (If you've not yet been to Iron Horse, or even if ya have, well worth a visit and camp.)

Tennessee the long way: Followed the arrow indicator again on the Samsung. If the route is more than a couple hunnert miles it just shows ya a general direction indicator, not a route. Found TN-30 past FallCreek Falls State Park. Great fun. Enuff fun I ran out of daylight again. Camped in a fallow bean field somewehre in West TN. Next morning, came past Skullbone, TN and stopped for a visit there. It's like Moonshine Store, one older couple been running it for nearly 50 years. Again, worth a stop.

Carry on:

Finally arrive Theodosia, MO on the banks of Bull Shoals Lake. In the rain again. Early enuff it's not dark yet. Met a bunch of STRiders and had pizza for dinner and another warm bed. Several folks camped but I had had enuff. Empty bed was too tempting.

Friday morning did some 'lectrical repairs (vest and right 'lectric grip were both on the fritz. Got'em fixed, had some lunch and geared up for the (wet, cold) ride toward Aubrey, TX. Finally broke out'a the wet about half way to Little Rock and sun as I hit I-30 toward Texarkana. Arried Aubrey at The Porter Ranch about midnight. A few hours sleep and here I am.

Next up, Lubbock, Roswell, Cloud Croft and home sometime tomorrow. 3+ weeks, 9000 miles, ton o' pics and lots of memories. Doesn't compare to Cam and Thai but great non-the-less.

Pics will be on Picasa once I'm home, and I'll post back here with the links. In the meantime...
Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, wasn't home long enuff to get all those pics uploaded. I'm back in Aurora, IL now at my son's place. Three days to get here (day 1: home to Telluride, CO. Day 2: Telluride to Brule, NE. Day 3: Brule to Aurora, IL. 1800 miles with the first 1000 all 2-lane and mountain roads. )

Did run into some weather, and the whole ride was colder than I like. Still running 'lectrics near Mid May sucks. This little storm front was while still in AZ. Go figure. I stopped to don my rain gear as the sprinkles started. Failed to take into account the storm was coming at me at ~30MPH. Got a little damp before getting all geared up. Wet roads for the next 40 miles or so.

More to come as I don't know how long I'm gonna be on the road this time. Time out as I help my son build a deck, then off to more far places. Don'cha just hate it when ya gotta... GO RIDE!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Wow! I'm late.

I've done a bunch more running 'round the country but still haven't updated many pics. I took several more rides out'a Aurora, IL including Americade and two STOC events (in S.E. Ohio and in Wisconsin.) Added another 11000 miles to my 2013 total before I got home.

Then, a "short" trip from here to Spearfish, SC a couple weeks ago for yet another STOC event. Only 5 days and 3000 miles, so not much really.

BOTH these rides entailed copious rain. But I ain't made of sugar, so no prob.

Both rides were on my 01 ST-1100 ABS,,, no problems of any kind over 14,000 miles. Did need to install tires.

Just bought an 03 DRZ-400-E,,, outfitting it for ADV Rides. I have a separate thread at the correct forum and will attempt to update it more faithfully. In the meantime,,, my 2013 spring trip is over 'cause it's the middle of summer. now.

(I'll post the links to the pics if I ever get'em updated.)