Oddometer: 2,148
Bump for this multi page thread...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #317
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
ROFL I ran to the garage with the under-sink trash !
Spent a good fucking amount of time measuring and cutting and cutting again,

It fucking didn't look as fucking dope as your fucking dakar fucking fairing!

i want one, i cant fucking make one right to save my fucking life.

how many army of starving little kids in Tajikistan, or some other fuckin housing project of a country did you hire to make yours all that fucking nice?

CAN YOU TELL I AM PISSED AT MYSELF, now i gotta ride to goddamn target to pick up more trash fucking things, fucking fuck I hate that place!

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #318
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer: 568
I feel you dawg! I just destroyed a rear wheel bearing retainer ring on a honda crf250r trying to get the bearings out. All because I refuse to buy Hondas $30 special socket. I got it out though...and dicked up the hub threads in the process. Doh! Sonofabiatch!
Use the trip to Target to get your blood pressure down. Pick up some 2" industrial strength velcro strips, a sheet or two of poster board and a six pack while you're there also. Draw it out on the poster board. (All the measurements are good to go). Start with the center verticle bend and leave an inch at the bottom uncreased. Then do the two outside verticle bends. BTW, it helps to start the bends near the bottom so they all come straight up from the same center point. Last fold the "wings" of the base out. Make sure it all fits right on your plate. Then use that poster board as your template.
I don't use any heat, but I suppose you could leave it in the sun for a few minutes to make it more plyable. When you make your creases, keep your thumbs right along the lines and pinch the plastic a little to give it a crisp crease, but don't fold it all the way over or it will be to narrow and will show discoloration lines in the plastic. Just work your folds about an inch or two at a time to keep them straight. Most importantly, don't let that cheap garbage can plastic whip you! You got to keep your pimp hand strong! Yeah, I had to order a new retainer ring, but the threads are cut back in, and those damn bearings are in! Cost me, $12. Honda can K.M.A. But next time, I will definitely need to borrow someones special $30 socket...anybody?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #319
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
One reason I went for white, the white creases don't show up
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #320
macdesign
Just another f@t b@st@rd

Oddometer: 136
My DR windshield

I posted this on another thread before I realised I probably should have stuck it up here.
Anyway, here's my WIP version of a DR windshield.
I made it so that it can be modded/trimmed to suit a variety of my bikes and the variety of headlights they end up with.

'69 Honda 750-4 for teaching my son how to build bikes
macdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #321
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,833
CANT WAIT TO TRY THE STEWART SCREEN!!!!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #322
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
CANT WAIT TO TRY THE STEWART SCREEN!!!!

I've officially named it "The Bama Fairing", although it's pretty much, just a screen, but I do like the sound of the Stewart Screen!

Macdesign, I originally started out trying to make something like what you've got out of fiberglass used for orthapedic casts. Originally, I wanted to make a fairing that would fit around the headlight, use the same bolt holes, and completely replace the number plate. Basically making a stock number plate, only taller, out of fiberglass. Something like the fairing on a KTM 640 Adventure. I wanted to make a mold that I could re-use to duplicate the fairing over again by just laying fiberglass over it and coating it with epoxy. Obviously, I didn't have the skill you've got with fiberglass, and chose the cheap and easy garbage can approach. But, I believe if you (someone) could actually duplicate the stock plate and just extend it up a few inches, you'd have a great fairing design you could easily duplicate, possibly mass produce, and easily sell. I'd definitely be interested.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #323
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart View Post
I've officially named it "The Bama Fairing", although it's pretty much, just a screen, but I do like the sound of the Stewart Screen!

Macdesign, I originally started out trying to make something like what you've got out of fiberglass used for orthapedic casts. Originally, I wanted to make a fairing that would fit around the headlight, use the same bolt holes, and completely replace the number plate. Basically making a stock number plate, only taller, out of fiberglass. Something like the fairing on a KTM 640 Adventure. I wanted to make a mold that I could re-use to duplicate the fairing over again by just laying fiberglass over it and coating it with epoxy. Obviously, I didn't have the skill you've got with fiberglass, and chose the cheap and easy garbage can approach. But, I believe if you (someone) could actually duplicate the stock plate and just extend it up a few inches, you'd have a great fairing design you could easily duplicate, possibly mass produce, and easily sell. I'd definitely be interested.
With a $9.00 trash can, a bit of patience, and a heat gun, I was able to get this on my XR:

Thanks for the inspiration!
1985 XR600R tagged
1983 XL100S, 1980 XL80S, and 1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #324
glorp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
now that springs sprung i just want to reiterate the geniousness that is lstewart and his Bama fairing:
mine has lasted me 3 years now, been on 3 DR's, a drz400 and a wr250. it is currently back on a DRZ400sm
it has been sharpied black, stripped and sharpied blue, stripped again and now has 7 coats of blue laquer to match those snazzy SM rims.
attached with velcro, it offers no resistance whatsover if you want to fly over the handle bars.......don't ask

all cheer lstewart !!!
glorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #325
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Rally raid fairing

I GOT THIS FAIRING FROM RALLY RAID UK ABOUT TWO YAERS AGO. IT COST ABOT $160 WITH SHIPPIN.
VERY EASY TO INSTALL, JUST HAD TO DRILL 2 HOLES FOR MOUNTING AND CUT HEAD LAMPHOLE.
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #326
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
idiot

IM SORRY I AM A IDIOT , I CAN NOT PHOTES TOLOAD UPFROM PHOT BUCKET.
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #327
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 455
Well .... I'm pretty pleased with the "BAMA FAIRING", bloody well done Mr.Stewart

I was keen to see where it sits in relation to the rider ....

In my case, as you see, it's about level with my chin .. and that's exactly where the breeze hits. At 100KPH (60MPH), the improvement over no fairing is amazing.

As stated by another inmate, white may have been better .... but Bunnings only had grey in the size bin I was after .... to me, it matters little.

I used double-sided adhesive tape for the installation, it's going nowhere.

Thanks heaps Istewart

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #328
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

fairing bins

I don't think Freds is international. I don't even think they're National, but in Moody, Alabama, they're a quarter mile from my house at the Moody Crossroads. Hwy411 and Moody Parkway, wherein I found these...

$4 for small white, $4.50, small black (all you need is 15"). And $6 for large (10 gal) white. Two windscreens for $6 plus velcro. I can get four screens of velcro from an $18 package. Roughly $10 per fairing. Cheap, easy, disposable. No permanent mods to the bike.Glad you guys are getting some use out of these things.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #329
FCPB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
brilliant

i was so excited to find this mod here... had been looking for a screen that looked good (quality and aesthetics -wise) and wouldn't break the bank for a long time. i ran to Home Depot and got the materials, couple hours later had the thing on my DR and it looks great... didn't have time to get on the highway to test it out yet, hopefully will do that today. i'm optimistic.

ended up costing me a bit more since I'm dealing with NYC prices and the only bin that would work at my ghetto Home Depot cost me $16... well, that comes out to about $20 for two screens, so I can hardly complain

will post pictures later.

kudos once more to lstewart for the genius it took to make this, and the generosity to share it with everyone.
FCPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #330
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,833
Got all the materials to make the stewart screen, I made one then I found out that my local friend had an extra OEM Dakar Screen sitting in his garage. I went to Home Depot and picked up some bolts and directly bolted through my stock headlight cowl. It works great and leaves my helmet in smooth air.