User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #2626
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Tex Biker.

I have a photo of my bike somewhere in this long thread. I chose a KTM Fender for a high fender option on my Sherpa. I think it was the EXC 250 or 300 model. I would have to double check, but it looks great, fits perfect after you grind off the plastic locater "nubs".

heres is a thread that has my bike with the KTM fender on it: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=820992&page=2

Ken

Rx4Pain screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 12:03 AM
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #2627
NE Nomad

Oddometer: 4
Headlight Mod

Been looking into a round headlight mod for the Sherpa and came up with this:

Scavenged the scrapheap and found what I think is a 1983 XT250 headlight, which bolts right up. Had to swap out the sealed beam with a new 5.75" H4 compatible as not to mess with the wiring harness- plug and play. I dig it so far. Made a slick bikini fairing too but think naked is nice. Will probably rig something simple to keep moisture and debris away from the electronics. I'll post more pics when she's finished.
NE Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #2628
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Nomad View Post

Scavenged the scrapheap and found what I think is a 1983 XT250 headlight, which bolts right up. Had to swap out the sealed beam with a new 5.75" H4 compatible as not to mess with the wiring harness- plug and play. I dig it so far. Made a slick bikini fairing too but think naked is nice. Will probably rig something simple to keep moisture and debris away from the electronics. I'll post more pics when she's finished.
I like it! Keep going.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #2629
Sequoia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:

Do you plan to do anything for a fairing now?
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #2630
NE Nomad

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
Do you plan to do anything for a fairing now?
I was originally going to slap something simple over the electronics as not to take away from the naked look but after a few rides decided that getting beat up by the wind wasn't worth it. Tried the National Cycle shield I used prior to the headlight swap but it looked ridiculous so after a few prototype fairings I decided on this:

It's a piece of Lexan cut just big enough to buffer the headwind and sealed up with garage door rubber to protect the electronics. Not perfect but I want to avoid detracting from the headlight. Gonna grin and bear it on a 300mi. loop to Vermont next weekend so we'll see...
NE Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #2631
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:

I like the round headlight, and also that green paint job!

Please post up photos, details on your highway pegs.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #2632
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Picked up a 2000 Super Sherpa with 3000 miles on it yesterday for my girlfriend. I've been looking at XT225s for the last month or two for her and had been really picky. I'm glad I waited! I really really like this bike. I think I like it more than the KLR650 I used to have (heresy I know). It helps that I think I got a really good deal. Only issues I think I notice offhand are the badly painted rear plastics (already cracking) and faded seat. I also think I want to end up with a little different front fender, its a little long and badly faded. All are pretty easy fixes.

I've only made it to page 22 so far of the thread. I'm slowly going to read the whole thing. But my first real question is...

Is lowering links the only way to get it lower? The PO made it sound like there was a way to adjust the suspension up and down some and that he had it on the highest settings. But he didn't do the best job of explaining it, if at all. Maybe he was trying to talk about preload and damper settings? It does seem to be sitting pretty high in the rear, and I know I can raise the forks a little. I'm hoping to get away without putting a lower/shaved seat on it. GF is 5'3 and she can only get one tiptoe down right now. Whats the most straight forward way to get it down 2 inches or so?

Other than that, there isn't anything from getting her riding. Also got to get a username for the site!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #2633
DualSPRTfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
nice

Looks very clean, nice bike, I am sure she will like it!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #2634
cmean17
Nomad

Oddometer: 9
Pissed

So last night I decided to switch out my sprockets and chain (first time I've done it on this bike). With some WD40 everything dissembled easy but when I went to secure the rear sprocket I noticed one of the studs was damaged and I couldlnt seem to get the the damn bolt on. I spent 2 hours trying everything I could to get the fcking thing on but nothing worked and my patience is limited. Any suggestions to get the bolt on over the damaged stud or how to replace one stud?
cmean17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #2635
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
In general you can retrace the threads of a stud with the proper sized die to clean them up . To remove a stud there are several ways , jam 2 nuts together and use them to back it out , vice grips and some luck then there are tools designed to lock down on a stud to remove it proper .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #2636
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx4Pain View Post
Tex Biker.

I have a photo of my bike somewhere in this long thread. I chose a KTM Fender for a high fender option on my Sherpa. I think it was the EXC 250 or 300 model. I would have to double check, but it looks great, fits perfect after you grind off the plastic locater "nubs".

Ken
Tex Biker -

Canadian Sherpas come with the high fender, so another option would be to source one from there.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #2637
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Front brake master cylinder

Finally got the seat situation taken care of for my wife. She is much happier!

I put about 45 miles on this bike last night testing out the lowering links for her and the one thing that still bugs me about this bike are the brakes. The feel on the front master cylinder is a bit soft and notchy, and not a lot of stopping. Trying to figure out if that is normal for this bike or not. With the brakes I have on my 690, I'm use to a bike that stops, so the Sherpa may be doing what it is supposed to do.

Thanks
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #2638
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post

Is lowering links the only way to get it lower? The PO made it sound like there was a way to adjust the suspension up and down some and that he had it on the highest settings. But he didn't do the best job of explaining it, if at all. Maybe he was trying to talk about preload and damper settings? It does seem to be sitting pretty high in the rear, and I know I can raise the forks a little. I'm hoping to get away without putting a lower/shaved seat on it. GF is 5'3 and she can only get one tiptoe down right now. Whats the most straight forward way to get it down 2 inches or so?

Other than that, there isn't anything from getting her riding. Also got to get a username for the site!
Good looking bike - looks like you have a sweet deal hear. Lowering the bike is going to be hard due to its already low stature. If the bike is only going to be used on gravel and smooth trails, you could lower it with a smaller link, but if she is over 150lbs and you plan to ride rough bumpy routes, the suspension will bottom out. Shaving the seat will be the easiest and best way to not screw up the already limited suspension. There is plenty of foam in that seat you can trim. Just my $.02.

I love my sherpa, bought it for the wife but I ride it all the time. Even though I say the suspension is limited, I ride it like I stole it all the time on whooped out single track chasing my buddies on their KTM. They are all amazed at what it will do.

Here is mine.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #2639
sherpa nige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
High front fender

The polisport free flow ufx universal front fender fits nicely on the sherpa. Chase the threads with your tap on the bottom of the lower triple clamp and reuse the low fender mounting hardware

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #2640
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 443
Question 09 Super Sherpa repair manual question ?

Shopping around for a repair manual for my wifes 09, was
wondering about the differences between all of the years.
Do I really need one for our specific year or will any year work ?
Most concerned about valve adjustment procedures/specs.

Thanks
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote